TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing some fishing here. I have found a nice older TW200 that I have committed to buy.........Lets say its in(minty) very good shape, looks new, ride, fit, finish, ect, And a rear rack. Only 4,000 miles Garage kept........1988. The owner is firm at 1200.00 and I agreed to pay it. Would anyone agree with me that I am buying a whole lot of upgradable bike/fun for the price of a used moped? Oh a foot note, I passed up a 2006 for 600.00 more to buy this one........just because I read this forum and the kickstart is important to me,and I have 600.00 in my pocket. Comments Welcomed.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
As much as I would like a kickstart the extra 600 bucks would be worth it to get a bike that's 18 years newer with a better charging system, front disc brake & the upgraded carb. Condensation can build up in a motor from a bike that just sits somewhere and can come back and haunt you. It's one thing if it was used every few weeks and another if it sat unused for months at a time. Check for rust in the fuel tank and for leaky or weepy o-ring seals. The rubber tube connected to the airbox will shrink, leak and cause strange running problems as it gets old. Keep an eye open for the dreaded leaky base gasket. Check your bike for the defective rear shock that can break off when you least expect it. Shock Link

Original shock design on left. Current design on right. $259.00

But in the end any TW is better than no TW. The price seems fair enough and we are all here for you if something goes awry.

Some of the early model color schemes are to die for
way better then my purplish blue and white.

My favorite color years are

2010, 2006, 2003, 1997 & 1986. My least favorite is 1990 pink

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No rust in the tank..........And I did think of the disk brake not an issue to me, the charging system ?? and Carb?? they both have worked since 88,I figured good to go?? But then I am very new to this type of bike...........and I do welcome comment. I am learning.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yamaha increased the output on the newer bikes to support a higher wattage headlight. I know someone will chime in with how many more watts the newer ones have. Adding extra electrical accessories to the early tw's can wind up with a net voltage loss while lower rpm riding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh they must push more AMPs thru the new alternators.......Well I can always hope CREE makes high lume LED head lamps soon. But all this is interesting.......I will have to checkout that rear shock!!

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
I paid $1100 for an '87 with a salvage title. Don't sweat the nit picking everyone is chiming in with. You did well and you are going to have a blast!

And that kick starter is worth its weight in gold! First time that battery won't spin the engine you will see what I mean. It will be an "non-event" having you grinning from ear to ear.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would jump on it. The good deals go fast!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Tony, The only thing that would have made me choose a newer model over a Mint Kicker would be if a rear disk brake was offered. I like the price and condition but the color is another thing.......... A White and red 88 just about turned me to the blue 06 model. I am excited to pick it up Sunday, now I need to move my valkyrie interstate(sale) to make room in the garage, that thing eats floor space.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Adding a disc brake to an old TW is much more expensive than adding a kickstart to a newer TW - I know because I did it three times. But if you can live with the drum brake.... I think you will enjoy the old lady. I wouldn't care about the carb. The old one has the little red knob that helps with high altitude riding, and is also invaluable to pass MOT tests - at least here in Europe

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
The early electrical problems were sorted out before the '88s were built. Early headlight was a 35/35w incandescent. Later headlights were 55/60w halogen. One would think that a modern 35w bi-xenon HID conversion would be grand, but the lighting circuit will not keep the arc going at idle. A battery would have to be added to the lighting circuit to keep the HID lit. Could be done, and would work well.

$1200 for a clean TW with a rack of any year is good enough. As with any TW, make a close insp[ection of the chain and sprockets. the stock chain is junk, wears quickly, and wipes out the sprockets. The stock sprockets are as good as any, and reasonbly priced. Other than that. If the bike rides right, I'd treat it like any other I bought used, with a full service, tune, and lube.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hey rich, i noticed you have a spare factory shock?

my weld on my tw 200 shock snapped. i tried to get it welded but no luck he said it would melt a rubber seal and oil would leak.

i was riding the mountain trails of arizona and the damn thing snapped on me. had to leave the bike there and go get my yamaha rhino to toe it back home . longest walk ever. but anyways are you looking to sell the shock i really need it i love my tw it is a burden to find one of these . its like thy are rare or sumthin... hmph.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Sorry this picture is linked to an old thread on the.... well old tw board that spawned this one. My bike is a 09 so i never had to deal with the shock issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts