TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is but a sample of how rapidly the rate of innovation is accelerating in our lifetimes. The technology of my childhood is obsolete museum grade stuff today....well except for my TW.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Wait till that Stock Market Crash reaches full throttle....now that is going to be warp speed tech stuff....
Wall Street and the Political Class will be jumping out windows left and right...:eek:

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Wait till that Stock Market Crash reaches full throttle....now that is going to be warp speed tech stuff....
Wall Street and the Political Class will be jumping out windows left and right...:eek:
And safely landing upon the corpses of the peons they threw out those windows against their will:mad:

Tom

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Spent nearly 30 years in tech., never seen stuff moving like now. 2050 will be a very different world to the one we are in now.
Yeah I hear the TW will be fuel injected by then. Maybe.

Tom

·
Registered
20,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
At the current rate all trail riding will be holographic. Synthetic reality developers will be mining Admiral's old Youtube videos for inspiration as any real outdoor terrain will be devoted to food production following the Clinton/Sino-Cyborg Wars of 2022. th-7.jpeg

·
Registered
746 Posts
If the TW were FI, I wouldn't be in the market for one. You know all the problems TWs eventually develop with the CDI? Imagine if the fuel was controlled by an even more complicated, over-engineered device.
I say that as one who used to dig out and repair EFI units.
Looking at the design of Yamaha CDIs, I can guarantee their EFI would be just as complicated as they could possibly make it. Specifically to make owners of old ones give up and buy a new one.

OTOH, that might mean I could get one even cheaper once it failed. It would probably cost as much as a new one to have it repaired. Then guys like me would buy them for scrap value and graft on $20 Chinese carbs and $10 Chinese CDIs to make them run again. Or, rebuilding junkyard carbs and building homebrew CDIs.

An electric TW? I personally wouldn't even take note of its existence. If I saw one in the junkyard, I would push it aside as I made my way to the XL250 in the back of the yard.

I love the new technological marvels that allow us to do more on an individual basis. Things like faster, greater, cheaper and physically smaller flash drive; better and more accessible digital photography; open-source Android devices that can be had for less than $50 and do far more than the scifi writers of the past could have even dreamed of; desktop CNC machines that the average person can afford, Arduino and Raspberry Pi, and a still relatively unfettered Internet.

OTOH, I hate and despise technology that is controlled and used to make us even more dependent on infrastructure and the companies that produce the technology. Like Apple, Microsoft, electric vehicles, any vehicle that is designed so you cannot work on it, etc.

If I'm still alive and riding in 2050, I probably won't care if Yamaha still exists or if they make something they call a TW. I'll still be riding this one or another I rescued from the junkyard and brought back to life.

·
Registered
206 Posts
We had one of these back in the mid 80s for taking "day-in-the-life videos."

Old_School_JVC_Camcorder.jpg
Attribution: "Old School JVC Camcorder" by Darian Hildebrand - I Darian Hildebrand created this work entirely by myself.. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Old_School_JVC_Camcorder.jpg#/media/File:Old_School_JVC_Camcorder.jpg

To this (which should be delivered to me today, along with that very micro SD card, for twenty first century day-in-the-life motorcycle rides) :p

Stealth2-Hand-1-1-1-Custom.jpg

And, I wanted to celebrate my 100th post ~

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts
Congratulations Munchy on your 100th!! :D

·
Registered
13,637 Posts
To this (which should be delivered to me today, along with that very micro SD card, for twenty first century day-in-the-life motorcycle rides) :p

View attachment 21380

And, I wanted to celebrate my 100th post ~

And to this will you take and share on the TW200 Forum, TW 200 adventure video's? If you must, you can save them for the winter time to share when we are bored stiff not being able to ride our beloved TW's.:D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I remember when TV was only black and white, there were only two channels, it went off at night and I was my dads remote ("Devil! Turn the channel! ....Turn it back!...")

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Well — just hold your horses here ………

We started out with paper printed photos — now they’re all held electronically.

So now we’re relying on a manufacturers guarantee. So what happens in ten, fifteen, maybe even twenty years time ? — when it inevitably fails. Lost forever, to our children, and to our children’s children.

We are in danger of becoming reliant on a technology which inevitably comes with a life span of significantly less than “the old ways”.

Look at the wealth of information held on this board (and its predecessor) — held at the whim of the servers. Sure, no other way to do it — but it comes with its dangers — we live “in the moment”. The moment the technology fails, we have no records, and we start from scratch.

Like so many programs that worked on older operating systems, now lost in the name of “progress”.

But let’s get relevant here — back to the TW. The latest generation of cars need laptops plugged in to them to diagnose a fault — no lap top = no fix. Just how far away from that are bikes ? — when it splutters and dies and that tool kit you used carry is useless ?

You can fix almost anything on a TW with a rock, a screwdriver, and an adjustable spanner — that’s its strength.

All you guys out there who want it to have fuel injection, who want it to be “over complicated” — covered with “technology” — technology you cannot hope to understand let alone fix with simple tools — you’re missing the point.

The TW is a simple machine — and that’s why we love it. Some of these TW’s out there are coming up to 30 years old — still running.

Fancy that life span on a USB stick ? — a lap top ? — “technology” in general ? - Firewire - USB 1 — USB2 — USB3 ? — there will come a point where your device will only be compatible with a long dead interface. Where technology, simply by its advancement, defeats itself.

I’ll stick with the rock, the screwdriver, and the adjustable ……….

·
Registered
159 Posts
All you guys out there who want it to have fuel injection, who want it to be “over complicated” — covered with “technology” — technology you cannot hope to understand let alone fix with simple tools — you’re missing the point.
I disagree with just about everything you said, but this little snippet was what encouraged me to reply.

Go and have a look at how many threads on here are related to issues with engine running and carburetors. Yes, the poor quality of our fuels these days is a contributing factor but that's the way it is, carbs don't like it, FI doesn't care, and if it does you get the injectors ultrasonically cleaned and you're done.

The insinuation that people here are too dumb to handle FI, particularly a simple system like on the newer XT250 sort of doesn't sit too well with me. There are many examples on here of ingenuity and competence to handle anything thrown at them.

If the TW200 was injected and there was issues, we would come together and sort it out. THAT'S the beauty of technology and the internet in particular, it brings like minded people together and we sort stuff out quicker.

I think this community would embrace FI and other upgrades on the TW. Especially when they knew they could come here for help.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Cool video, Fred. One thing that I find quite profound, is the idea that physical human involvement will be irrelevant in future warfare. Even NOW, machine vs. machine is not uncommon. It is happening right now, already. It's just not mainstream yet. Basically, what I'm talking about is just like the concept of sword vs. armor in ages past, but on a much grander scale.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
The insinuation that people here are too dumb to handle FI, particularly a simple system like on the newer XT250 sort of doesn't sit too well with me.
No such insinuation intended — I was trying to get across the point that not everyone has a laptop, the internet, an ultrasonic cleaner and a generator out on the trail ………

It isn't the uss enterprise, it's just fuel injection. It's quite a bit simpler than a carburetor, if not as easily fixed on the side of the road.
And that’s it in a nutshell …………….

1 - 20 of 23 Posts