TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK you guys, after the videos that zdriver1 posted (Click Here) I was all pumped up to make a version of the Windscreen for the T-Dub. Everything went according to plan and within less than 3 hours I was finished with my project, the windscreen is still in an experimental phase and it is made of cardboard but it is as sturdy and solid as it can be.
For you guys who do a lot of off-road riding the windscreen is obviously to long and you're just going to have to make a shorter version of it

10082015114.jpg Click on image to enlarge

I started with a flat piece of cardboard, started drawing lines on it and then I just went ahead, cutting and folding until I was satisfied with the shape and size

10082015106.jpg Click on image to enlarge

Then I applied some tape all around the edges of the windscreen

10082015108.jpg Click on Image to enlarge

Then I attached the windscreen on my previous Jimbo shield lookalike

10082015111.jpg Click on image to enlarge

Then it was time for me to spray-paint the whole thing with a very upmarket camouflage paint

10082015113.jpg Click on image

I'm going to do test rides for the next week or two and I will make a template of the windscreen for those of you who are interested:cool:

·
Super Moderator
18,543 Posts
I'm waiting for my limited edition signed/autographed one in the mail. :p

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm waiting for my limited edition signed/autographed one in the mail. :p
Only after my windscreen has past the most stringent tests under various conditions, then will I send one to you, hopefully within the next month or two!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
That looks kind of tall - I hope you don't take out your face with it if you go over a big bump or lurch forward a bit while riding on the trails.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks kind of tall - I hope you don't take out your face with it if you go over a big bump or lurch forward a bit while riding on the trails.
Yes it is on the tall side because it is meant for open road cruising and daily commuting in the city but it is safe going over a bump, but if you're going to do off road trails it needs to be shorter.

Sideways profile and a photo of today at the local Yamaha dealer

10082015116.jpg 11082015123.jpg

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brilliant! Designed with crumple-zone cardboard to reduce chance of injury if impacted...so much superior to stiff and sharp carbon fiber or acrylic.:D
Aha!
At last there is someone on the forum that is intelligent enough to see that safety is just as important to this project and receives just as much time and effort as the aerodynamic profile.;)

·
Registered
21,062 Posts
The shield actually looks very nice on the bike with the matching teal paint, almost looks like a promotional bike parked in front of the Yamaha store next to a promotional sign of the same color. The origami bent cardboard reminds me of stress plywood skin home built kayaks, it is a strong contruction method...here is a Pygmy Kayak as an example. th-17.jpeg .

·
Registered
254 Posts
I like the full coverage design. I am kind of short though, so would eye holes compromise the strength and/or aerodynamics ?

best regards, MAC

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the full coverage design. I am kind of short though, so would eye holes compromise the strength and/or aerodynamics ?

best regards, MAC
That is a good point, I will make sure that this issue will be addressed during the extensive testing phase of the project, but I also want to point out that this is a prototype and NOT the finished product which will be manufactured out of Polycarbonate/Lexan material which is the same material out of which all motorbike windscreens is made of and which is of course also transparent just like the windscreen on Admiral's bike for example.;)

Admiral.jpg Click on image to enlarge

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The shield actually looks very nice on the bike with the matching teal paint, almost looks like a promotional bike parked in front of the Yamaha store next to a promotional sign of the same color. The origami bent cardboard reminds me of stress plywood skin home built kayaks, it is a strong contruction method...here is a Pygmy Kayak as an example. View attachment 20770 .
Yes sir, and then I also want to mention the fact that the superior quality paint that I used was imported all the way from the US of A. Coincidently there is also a picture of a some kind of a row boat on the front.:cool:

12082015128.jpg Click on image to enlarge

·
Super Moderator
14,219 Posts
Yes sir, and then I also want to mention the fact that the superior quality paint that I used was imported all the way from the US of A. Coincidently there is also a picture of a some kind of a row boat on the front.:cool:

View attachment 20807 Click on image to enlarge

lol8.gif

·
Registered
736 Posts
whole point of windscreens is to allow the airflow to go over your body...you look over them ,not thru. I found years ago that big barn-door fairings just push the wind

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
High-speed test run

Silhouette_-_PianoNotes.jpg

All together now. . . .

"I can see clearly over my CornShield now
I can see all the obstacles in my way. . ."

No, I'm just joking, the wind shield is still at its original height and as you can see on this photo, it is just the right size, not too big to push the air, but it sill takes the wind off my chest which is very comfortable at 60 mph +

AND it also survived 3 high speed test runs this week where I went up to 65 mph every time and it did not bend or tear.:cool:

15082015133.jpg

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good news!

I'm getting a significant drop in fuel consumption on the open road with the wind-shield, It usually was at around 60 mpg at 60 mph + but now it is now over 70 mpg maybe even 75 mpg. Please remember that this figures is at a average speed of 60 - 65 mph.(15/42 sprocket combo)

If I cruise at 50 - 55 mph I might even get 80 mpg

I want to do a 100 mile round trip to do a proper measurement next week and then I will let you guys now.

There is a 2 mile long uphill on the free-way that I ride at least once a month and in the past I couldn't go up all the way without having to gear down to 4th at halfway point, today I was able to go all the way up in 5th maintaining 60 mph +, the aerodynamics is definitely working.:cool:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The electronic toll road system on the free-way took this photo of me with the wind-shield today, I was going about 60 mph:p

TransactionImageHandler_ashx.jpg Click on image to enlarge

1 - 20 of 25 Posts