TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would appear our beloved Death Wing – the TW31 – is being phased out. Well, according to Bridgestone - TW31

Its replacement, the TW 41, shown below, seems to address the issues of the missing tread towards the side-wall – although how good it is actually is remains to be seen. Fans of the original are advised to limp to the shop to scoop them up “while stocks last”.

trail wing_tw41_closerlook2.png

Of equal interest (to me, being a sad git), is the TW37- a possible and practical alternative to the TW203 (primarily a road tire) – shown side by side below. The TW203 is on the left, and the TW37 on the right. The TW37 appears to offer more grip on the trail, while still remaining adequate for road use.

trail wing_tw203_closerlook2.png trail wing_tw37_closerlook1.png

It will be interesting to see which combinations make it through to the next generations of TW’s in the showrooms ……

·
Registered
299 Posts
Good for them! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
The TW37 will leave some handsome and interesting tracks in the dirt. I like to lay down something different so those knobby snobbies don't think they exclusively own the trails. I like to imagine my Duro occasionally causes some KTM-ers to wonder how an ATV made it down that single track.:p
P1010508.JPG

Anyways nice up-date on the future of TW tires. Now we can start a whole new debate on relative merits of the various front tire options.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
I hope the TW 41 is a better replacement than the TW 42. Years ago when I went in to the Yamie shop to replace my stock front, they replaced it with a TW 42. The TW 42 is listed as a rear tire, but that doesn't really mean much to us as we use rear tires on the front all the time.

In my opinion, the TW42 is no better than the stock tire. The 42 washed out, didn't grip any surface very well, and was just as bad in every off-road condition we bitch about the stock to be. When I joined this forum and learned of the other options available, the SR244 was put on in short order and I'll never look back! What I believe was wrong with TW 42 is it was made with too hard of a compound. The sidewall was hard as well. I could run it with no air pressure, which is good if you get a flat, and that was the only good thing it was.

Strong words here, I hated the stock TW31 & TW42 equally!

Hopefully the TW41 is better in this regard!

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Hey - looks like a K60 - got the same one - how are you getting on with it ? ...........
Yep! A K60 for sure. I love it. Most of my riding is on pavement but there are enough knobs to do well enough off road too. I really like the mileage -- so far I have about 12,000 miles on it and it looks good for another 6,000 miles, and maybe more if I want to run it smooth. Initial price was a little steep but it is more than compensated for in longevity. As I said before, I love it!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Any news from shinko on the off-road rear? Not to steal the thread..

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I own 2 TWs. My 99 has the TW203 front 204 rear (street tires) and my recently aquired 2010 has the stock knobbies. I have used my 99 in mud, rock, dirt, sand etc and am very impressed with how the street oriented tires work. I have only taken my 2010 out a couple times but have dropped it quite a few times because the front tire sucks. Can't wait to put on a Shinko 244 and see the differance.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Does the TW37 come with new wheels? Cause it only comes in 10" :)

·
Super Moderator
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What ? – Hey, bit of a squeeze but we can work something out ……….

(Sorry guys – I followed a link from the Bridgestone site that didn’t give the tire size)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
My wife & I run the 203s.. For what we do they are "GREAT" 10,000 miles. "0" issues.. P.S. We are NOT serious trail riders. But we do put quite a few two track and gravel road miles on.. OMM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts