TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the death wing took me down the other day. Here in Pa we havent had much decent weather lately so yesterday was good enough and I decided to check out some trails I know around an area that used to be an old mine. The area is beautiful with tons and tons of trails however we have had a ton of rain lately and the trails were 100% mud. My front end had been skating around all over the place all morning but I decided to keep going and push myself a little which bit me in the ass. I was heading down hill on a rocky trail and I was coming up on a washout so I picked my line and went for it. I was probably going a little too fast and wont blame the trail wing entirely but as soon as my front tire touched that washout I went straight down pretty hard. I busted my knee up a little but more importantly my poor bike got a bit banged up too. Scratched up the front fender, headlight fairing, back fender and the muffler. I'll probably replace the headlight fairing because I'm picky and it will bother me but everything else is fine. That's the first time my bike has been down and actually had any damage so I'm a little bummed but it was bound to happen at some point because I actually use the bike what it was built for. Either way I think I'll be picking up a shinko 244 sooner than I thought....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a shame the selection of tires for the damn thing is so slim. I'd like a dunlop d606 front but from what I've read the rear d606 on the front of our bikes doesnt work well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've got a 244 on one and a 241 on my other. They're both waaay better than the Death Wing. I think the 241 works best on most of the terrain around where I ride. Oddly, it drones more on asphalt than the more dirtbike patterned 244.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the 241 better on mud than the 244? How much better realistically are both of them in comparison? Like night and day better? I planned on getting the 4.60-18 sr244 not the larger 5.10

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think the 244 is better on hard pack and mud. 241 seems to handle sand and big, smooth rocks better. I believe the 241 is technically a trials bike design and it feels like it has more cornering grip to me. When my 244 wears out, I'm getting a 241.
Of course, my trails might have different needs than yours.

I never went down because of the DW but had plenty of close calls. I'm a stubborn cheapskate and wanted to run the tread down a bit before I tossed it. The 241 was an amazing improvement and I really should have done it sooner.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have absolutely zero sand around me. It's mostly rocks embedded in dirt, roots, creek crossings and loose rocks. Mountainy type stuff. Think the 244 would be alright for my needs?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'll go for a Shinko 241 or 244 next time I buy a front tire. I've just put a Shinko E700 on and I'm not too happy with it, not much difference compared to the DW.

·
Super Moderator
4,952 Posts
The difference between the 244 and the 241 is primarily in their compounds. The 244 is stiffer, which makes it heavier, and also provides for less grip in certain circumstances. However, because it is stiffer, this allows the knobbly bits to cut through mud and keep its profile on grit, it also makes it a bit quieter for road work

The 241 in contrast, is softer, and so grippier on things like rock. Last year in Moab, my bike was wearing one, and frankly you could take a 45 degree rock sideways, and it would still stick. The reason it does better in sand involves a bit of conjecture, and perhaps its ability to remain flexible has something to do with it. It’s also lighter than the 244, which helps a bit, in that it doesn’t “cut in” like the 244, and on sand, you need to “float”. On the road, the fact that the compound is softer makes the tire a bit noisier, as the sound comes from each knobbly bit gripping and releasing in turn. As you would expect, this reduces tire tread life, though not as much as you would think, (besides which, Shinkos are relative cheap to begin with)

Once you get your head around the attributes of each tire, you will start to see what each is best at, but it’s also reasonable to mention at this point that some riders find the weight of the 244 a hinderance on such a small bike.- although having said that, some also use a front rack, which amounts to the same thing

Depends on what you’re after – but fair play to Shinko for providing the choice …..

·
Registered
876 Posts
Very happy with my 241 on road and trails. I had it at 9psi in Moab with good results on all the stuff there......and there's stuff there !
I keep it at 14psi here for the riding to the trails and trail riding - less sand and steep slick rock on these local rides. Unfortunately they are all buried in deep snow now making this hiding from the bug harder/less fun.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Cool thanks buddy. Now to decide if I should replace that headlight fairing or not...
I would not fix it for the next guy yet. Discussing crash damage with strangers at a gas station is Cool these days !!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I'll still have a couple scratches to discuss haha plus I may have already ordered the fairing and decals... and the ricochet skid plate...

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Well I'll still have a couple scratches to discuss haha plus I may have already ordered the fairing and decals... and the ricochet skid plate...
now that's making lemonaide outta lemons. ;)
like my great-grandmother used to say "too late we get smart."

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Well I have absolutely zero sand around me. It's mostly rocks embedded in dirt, roots, creek crossings and loose rocks. Mountainy type stuff. Think the 244 would be alright for my needs?
A trials tire is a better choice for your area. Run at a low pressure the knobs flex more than the golden boy, clearing mud. I have run the Golden boy ( hated it) and an MT43 ( similar to the 241) and the trials tire has always out performed the 244.

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
My vote...241. I've ridden with both the 244 and 241. The 244 is better than the stock tire though. But that's just my subjective opinion not based on any scientific proof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My vote...241. I've ridden with both the 244 and 241. The 244 is better than the stock tire though. But that's just my subjective opinion not based on any scientific proof.
I’d like to grab a 241 Shinko for our 2019 tdub. What size do y’all recommend?
Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts