TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got a coyote problem, so I don't take the Pack to the woods without a weapon. Not that I don't know they can kill the 'yotes, But I'd rather they just surround them and I finish it off. (I've got 5 mixed breed rescues, all 50-70 pounds). Anyhow, check out my rifle, it was a we bit nippy. :) :eek:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Haha this sounds like a different world to where I come from!

If I were carrying that out with the dog I myself would be shot by the police
Now, I happen to know that there are places in the UK where you can own and carry one of those. Game keepers for example can. There's a gent on another board that posts all of the time. Of course, he's got to get permission from the local constabulary and jump through the hoops and can only have so many... and I thought you were OK in Australia for leverguns?

And while there are plenty of coyotes around here, I've never come across any while walking with my dogs in the woods - they seem to hear us coming and beat feet long before we can see them. The dogs do go running after things that I never do see - probably some coyotes but I've never heard them get into any fights. One is a 50 lb yellow lab/pit bull mix and the other a great dane, so they'd have no worries. They run loose around my place and have shown signs of scraping with something before but I have no idea what it was.

I carry a handgun when I go - much handier and stays warm and protected on my hip :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And while there are plenty of coyotes around here, I've never come across any while walking with my dogs in the woods - they seem to hear us coming and beat feet long before we can see them.

:)
I only see them when they are chasing game. The deer run right through the area, and if the tail is up, cock the lever and be ready. No luck so far. recently I saw them from the house, I was able to grab the house shotgun and sneak up on him while eh was trying to run down a doe. I mistakenly had the wrong round in the chamber, and as I tried to chamber a slug, he heard the slightest click and ran off. Twice now I've had my sights on one but I had the wrong weapon. Damn 'yotes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha this sounds like a different world to where I come from!

If I were carrying that out with the dog I myself would be shot by the police
I went to the mailbox once with the rifle on my shoulder, just as the sheriff drove by. He asked if all was Okay, I told him "Damned Coyotes". He said "Cool, good luck".

They know me. :) We have a drunken bully in the neighborhood. He started crap with a neighboring family, I went and got the kids and brought them here to get them out of the language. He came here and said something to me while I was teaching the proper way to swing a baseball bat. Then he fell down. (Damn booze) He called the sheriffs because he fell down. They came to see me about it.

They said "We don't know what happened but he's really drunk. Thanks".

·
Registered
385 Posts
I went to the mailbox once with the rifle on my shoulder, just as the sheriff drove by. He asked if all was Okay, I told him "Damned Coyotes". He said "Cool, good luck".

They know me. :) We have a drunken bully in the neighborhood. He started crap with a neighboring family, I went and got the kids and brought them here to get them out of the language. He came here and said something to me while I was teaching the proper way to swing a baseball bat. Then he fell down. (Damn booze) He called the sheriffs because he fell down. They came to see me about it.

They said "We don't know what happened but he's really drunk. Thanks".
That's Karma. I'm sure the Sheriff likes the suppport.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We have 'yotes here too. See them a lot on horseback when we aren't chatting on a ride. Our one mare really dislikes them, actually turns toward them when she winds them...strange behavior.

Anyway, the .22 bolt gun is mighty handy if you can sit around and call them out of the fence line, but I've never had frost like that on my rifle!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I see coyotes on my trail cams at night but not during the day. I don't take the time to hunt them. I keep a rifle by the back door for my favorite nemisis....woodchucks that burrow under my outbuildings.
You need some dogs :) Varmints simply don't last long enough around my place to dig anything :)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You need some dogs :) Varmints simply don't last long enough around my place to dig anything :)
You're right, I should have some better guard dogs. I had a German Shepard that loved to eat critters but have two golden retrievers now and the best they will do is help the evil doers. Here's a pic I took today of my newest dog pretending he's a snow plow. He's 9 weeks old.

pupsnow.jpg

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My male border collie mix has played with the 'yotes before, when he was far younger. As far as the ground hogs, they all moved away. From time to time one wonders in and dies by dog, but that's it. Coons are another story. They come in for the trash, bring the whole damned family. I shot 5 of them out of a tree one night... I've got 2 pups right now that are about ready to get to it. One's a springier spaniel/ great white pynaries mix, she's a runt @55#, and a BP/retriever/Shepard mix, at about 75#. Damned fun dogs.... :)

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
My Brittany is just shy of 40 pounds and as sweet a dog as you will ever find. She sits on the patio while the deer are right out in the yard and just watches them. Taught her young that deer are OK. I can't count the times I had to go pull her off the base of a tree where she had a big black bear stuck up it. She hates Bears, Coyotes, Turkey and just about any other critters who venture in to her yard. For such a sweet dog I have to say after watching her on a kill mission, you sure don't want to be on her radar. The only ones i worry about is the dam Porcupines, I don't know of any dog that ever won a battle with them.

The gun looks pretty cool Tom, Cold Steel!

GaryL

·
Registered
19,194 Posts
Porgie Tirebiter of Firesign Theatre fame? Very nice looking snowplow puppy you have. I'll be running my dogs w/ TW through last nights snow once I finish my coffee and suit up. Dogs are already to go, just waiting on me to stop enjoying this forum amd Dakar videos. Very cute puppy!

·
Registered
184 Posts
we have a big coyote problem here in nova scotia.our 's have crossed with wolves according to dna testing done by the DNR .some are inthe 80to90 lbs range.they are very agressive ,and a couple of years ago a girl was hiking in cape breton and was attacked and killed i've never been lucky enough to see one when carrying a gun .they have been close many times when deer hunting but seem to be taunting me by yelping and howeling just out of sight .it makes your hair stand up when you have a deer down and trying to dress it .they are very smart and know what a gun looks like .all they do is wait until i leave and clean up the guts.we even have them in the subdivison where i live, one was under a neighbours deck one morning waiting for them to let the cat out .they learn peoples habits and take advantage of it when they can.i can't wait to suprise one some day with the 35 marlin ,200gr is like throwing a brick at high speed in the off season i use my marlin semi auto 22lr.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts