TW200 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Thanks Joe, I am a big fan of balance. One issue here is that two of the bolts that need to be used to hold the stock retention plate are 180 degrees from one another so it would seem to be hard to get a three/three balance.

My thanks to You and your Wife for an absolutely wonderful weekend. If I did not take your pre-ride advice, I might still be pushing my bike across Cow Mountain...... Gerry

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Hi C-John,

Welcome to the forum!

My first dual sprocket setup was a rear 47/50 combo. This will work fine and will allow you to use the stock chain length for both sprockets.

Brian

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi C-John,

Welcome to the forum!

My first dual sprocket setup was a rear 47/50 combo. This will work fine and will allow you to use the stock chain length for both sprockets.

Brian
Brian-

What have you found as far as teeth wise that you can run the same sized chain. I have a 55 on there now and was thinking of adding a 52, from your experiences you think I could not have to worry about adding/removing chain links?

thnx

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Here is what I know from my experience. I have run a difference of 3 teeth (47/50) using the stock length chain with no problems. My current setup has a difference of 8 teeth (47/55) and requires that I add or remove a small segment of chain when I switch sprockets.

What you are proposing (52/55) will work without adding or removing links. I would suggest looking at your bike to see where your snail adjusters are. If they are at a low numbered position with the larger sprocket, i.e. 1-3, the you should have plenty of adjustment range for the smaller sprocket. If you are already at a high number on your snails, you may have to remove a link to get enough range for the smaller sprocket.

Hopefully you are running an o-ring chain so you won't have to worry about excessive chain "stretch".

I hope this is helpful,

Brian

·
Registered
14,030 Posts
...and to add to what TW-Brian has mentioned, I run a 50-55 sprocket and don't have to add or remove chain links. This works fine if the chain hasn't stretched, i.e. what brian said about snail adjusters being not much more than 3 on the 55 sprocket, cause it will be around 8 ish on the 50. ...from my experiences so far.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Thanks Admiral!

It looks like a difference of up to 5 teeth can be accommodated by using the snail adjusters. I know that 8 is too many. Anybody tried 6 or 7?

·
Registered
174 Posts
thanks for the info from both of you. IIRC i'm at about a 6 so i may have some fiddling to do, but could potenitally run a 50/55 which would be ideal!

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
I believe that some members have also elongated the slots in the swingarm that the axle goes through to allow some additional adjustment range. Not sure how the snail adjusters would work with this mod, though.

·
Registered
14,030 Posts
i'd prefer not to do that!
I don't think I would go that way either (elongated slots). Going forward I'd worry about the tire rubbing something towards the front of the swing arm.

With my current setup (50-55T) I also wouldn't want to exceed the snail adjustment area. I noticed on mine when I have it on the 50T, there's not a lot of room on the brake drum slide area either. The part where the brake drum slides and hold it from spinning on the swing arm. BTW I have more (126 I think) links rather than the stock number of links, and this adds to the tire/drum being placed farther back. Just something to watch for that I didn't think about when I did my dual-sprocket.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Good observation Admiral r.e. brake stay slot and pin.
And don't forget our chain link pares are 1 inch long thus any 5 tooth sprocket difference sees a corresponding 1.25" movement on the swingarm ( 5 teeth = 2.5" total additional length around sprocket corresponding to 1.25" top and bottom.

·
Registered
7 Posts
teeth count increase limit??

Please forgive the late reply..
I have been riding a few trails on my '91 TW that came with stock sprocket sizes 14/42. The torque feels totally gone when trying to accelerate and push through fluffy Florida sand and uphill terrains.
From reading this forum, is it possible to add a second rear sprocket to have the option 14/48? Or am I limited to only a five tooth increment without removing chain links..?:confused:
I can't afford a new chain at the moment, so I can't consider adding and removing chain links when I need to switch the two.
My chain is a little stretched and is on the second to highest strength on the "snail" for the rear axle distance, so a few more teeth definitely shouldn't hurt.
I really need some more torque out of this bike that could also come in handy when merging or catching up with heavy traffic from a U-turn.
I barely go around 60 mph, always around 40-50.

CAN I INCREASE MY SPROCKET TEETH COUNT MORE THAN 5 TEETH? MAYBE 6 OR MORE? Not interested in chain link removal/add on.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Hi Cristian, welcome to the forum!

The stock sprockets are 14/50. Your 14/42 setup may be tolerable on perfectly flat pavement with no headwind, but would not be any good for offroad or anywhere there are hills as you have already found out.

My first dual rear sprocket setup was a 47/50 which worked fine with the stock length chain. When I went to a 47/55 rear sprocket combo I needed to use a short length of chain to swap in and out. So all I know from personal experience is that a 3 tooth difference can be handled with the same chain, but an 8 tooth difference is too much.

I am now running a 55/65 rear sprocket combo. I love the 65 for offroad and am still able to hit 55mph on the road - although the engine is wound up pretty tight at that speed. If you want more low end torque you will have to give up some top end speed - with only 196cc's, you can't have both ;).

100_4610.JPG

·
Registered
14,030 Posts
Hi and welcome,

I ran a 50 & 55 rear dual sprocket setup for 2 years, so a 5 tooth spread is achievable. However, you will go from a low setting to almost the end when you switch. In my case it was something like going from notch 1 with 55T to notch 8 with the 50T.
In the end, I changed back to using just a single sprocket due to excessive wear on the front sprocket. I could see the chain was rubbing the sprocket due to being slightly offset from center. I even changed to new sprockets front and rear and the new front was wearing, which is why I changed back to a single sprocket. I mostly use the 55T cause I do lots of trail and mountain road riding.

Again, welcome and take care.

Reactions: turbodieseli4i6

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks alot for the info Brian. Boy that sounds fun to have THAT much power in your tire. Especially with that monstrous ATV tire you got on there. How is it on the road? With leaning and all? That's on my wish list as well.
Cristian

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is my idea for dual sprockets. Please feel free to inform me what won't work!

I would like to run dual front sprockets only. 13 and 15 tooth with my stock 50 tooth rear. I would also like to be able to change from one to the other only loosening the rear axle, not taking the chain apart. My thinking is that if its too much work, I just won't change sprockets very often and won't be taking advantage of the setup.

Is there enough room in the side cover for the chain to go over the top of the 15t sprocket and slide over to the 13t?

121 - 140 of 176 Posts