TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I hate not knowing what my charge systems are doing in everything that I own... I finally ordered some nice little meters and got one installed in my Dub and also one in my Scoot...

Got a bunch of these:

I tested them and they will display and read down to 4 vdc, that is as low as my bench PS works...

I did test to see if I could run them continuous but the current draw is a bit too high... 14.x ma would suck the juice out of the battery in a couple of months. 1000 hrs= 42 days... = 14 amp hours removed from the battery.

Click on images to see bigger picture.

0617171715.jpg 0617171717.jpg

New DC 12V-24V Car Motorcycle LED Panel Digital Display Volt Voltage Gauge Meter | eBay

0620171613.jpg 0620171614.jpg

Jim

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I very much appreciate gauges!
Did you wire it through the keyed switch?
How readable in the sunshine?

Back in 76, I used a zener diode with a threshold voltage of 13.8, in series with an indicator lamp.
It would not show an overcharge, but illuminated when voltage was 13.8 VDC and +.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just mount it wired in series to a small toggle switch to turn it off when not riding. That will prevent power loss when it is parked.
That could be done but just one more thing to mount somewhere... I just wired into the switched output of the ignition switch. I used a .5 amp pico fuse for protection.

Jim

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Back in 76, I used a zener diode with a threshold voltage of 13.8, in series with an indicator lamp.
It would not show an overcharge, but illuminated when voltage was 13.8 VDC and +.
The led display seems to be just fine. I did mount it down n the shadow area of the Jimbo shield.

Yes, I taped into the switched power output from the key switch. Protected with a .5 amp pico fuse.

I have been in the electronics world for 50+ years.

Jim

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey JTSTDUB where did you get that fancy speedo/tacho was it an easy fit, and also was it expensive. Thanks

The display is a Trail Tech...

this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Trail-Tech-752-704-Stealth-Computer/dp/B003175ARM/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_tr_t_3/144-2715083-6100314?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0T6YEVWFVPF2AMPGKR7Q

I did have to fabricate a mount to put it where I wanted it...
The wiring to make all the functions work is laborious and requires a need for detail. At least that is my thoughts. One could hack it in but I think one might end up with an intermittent POS.

Here is ROBG's Trail Tech install. My fabricated mount was quite a bit simpler than his. Like he said, " I was bummed, but I guess not really surprised, when the "TW-Specific" version of the Vapor didn't include a specific mount. Instead I just got a very weird speedo cable that I have to build a bracket for."

http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/14227-custom-dash-vapor.html

Jim

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Oh wow, I was reviewing RobG's trail tech Vapor install for another thread and noticed I did not respond to your question about the meter display in sunlight... Well it sucked... One of these days I will switch to green or blue. They are very cheap.

Jim

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Oh wow, I was reviewing RobG's trail tech Vapor install for another thread and noticed I did not respond to your question about the meter display in sunlight... Well it sucked... One of these days I will switch to green or blue. They are very cheap.
Thanks, Jim.
That is the challenge for many digital displays.

OTOH, my CB1100 is very easy to read in bright sunlight, but with very dark goggles and when blocked by the flyscreen, it is a strain to read trip meter/MPG/fuel consumption.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts