TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ever get tired of modern racers bouncing off rev limiters and endless waste gates popping open? Here is to the natural aspirated roar of good old fashioned internal combustion!
What do you like to hear?

·
Super Moderator
5,129 Posts
In the EU, as of a few years ago, manufactures have abandoned the idea of “naturally aspirated” engines, in favour of (often smaller) turbo charged diesel engines, which provide more torque as lesser revs

At the same time, more cities are banning diesel cars from their centres, on the grounds of “clean air” — and this has in turn led to the proliferation of “hybrids”, which can use electric only for the shorter internal city journeys

Of course, once out in the countryside, they can then rev the tits of them in order to clean the particulate filters — but there are fewer people to complain out here, so less votes to loose

I lived in London for half my life, saw the taxis and buses belch this stuff — black dust in the puddles — the tourists wearing face masks ….

To replace these “belchers”, we are now seeing a generation of “clean cars” — cars that ruin the Chinese environment by the production of the batteries, wrought from coal burning power and low wages — but as long as it’s not in our part of our world, who cares

Until the next hurricane hits Miami …..

Meanwhile, Trump pulls out of the “Climate Accord” — which is a load of bollocks anyway, at least for the foreseeable future — as economics dictate the rules, not “global warming”. Unless we all play by the same rules, there’s no point after all — and though China seems to have a long term plan, (cleaner electric generation), neither the USA or China seem willing to give up the “immediate” gains of their economic future just yet

America is though perhaps the last bastion of naturally aspirated large engines - the EU nations preferring to take advantage of the Chinese, who are in turn poised to mass produce electric cars in the future — they already produce most of the components after all

In the next fifty years, the world of cars will change almost beyond recognition. Here in the EU we’ll be almost exclusively electric, while in the States (dragging behind as usual) will be mostly hybrids. In a hundred years, our great great grandchildren will marvel at the exploits of a human actually being at the controls of a petrol driven “beast”, wondering how we stayed alive

It’s almost comparable with “chariot racing” watching some of these vids — and perhaps in the distant future we’ll come up with another way of doing exactly the same thing — mankind has a way of “taking it to the edge”

Meanwhile — enjoy what you have — your grand-children probably wouldn’t understand it

For me, the choice was easy - it’s the last naturally aspirated V6 that Mercedes ever made, or ever will (2009) ……

mercedes-benz-e-class-3-5-e350-blueefficiency-se-7g-tronic-2dr-181882589-5.jpg

/rant

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I liked the classic growl of the corvette in the Virginia city hill climb you posted Fred.
Last Video

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree Tweaker, that LS9’s 6.2 liter visceral growl was what made me start this thread!
Sure, it is supercharged but it just sounds awesome to me.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
In the EU, as of a few years ago, manufactures have abandoned the idea of “naturally aspirated” engines, in favour of (often smaller) turbo charged diesel engines, which provide more torque as lesser revs

At the same time, more cities are banning diesel cars from their centres, on the grounds of “clean air” — and this has in turn led to the proliferation of “hybrids”, which can use electric only for the shorter internal city journeys

Of course, once out in the countryside, they can then rev the tits of them in order to clean the particulate filters — but there are fewer people to complain out here, so less votes to loose

I lived in London for half my life, saw the taxis and buses belch this stuff — black dust in the puddles — the tourists wearing face masks ….

To replace these “belchers”, we are now seeing a generation of “clean cars” — cars that ruin the Chinese environment by the production of the batteries, wrought from coal burning power and low wages — but as long as it’s not in our part of our world, who cares

Until the next hurricane hits Miami …..

Meanwhile, Trump pulls out of the “Climate Accord” — which is a load of bollocks anyway, at least for the foreseeable future — as economics dictate the rules, not “global warming”. Unless we all play by the same rules, there’s no point after all — and though China seems to have a long term plan, (cleaner electric generation), neither the USA or China seem willing to give up the “immediate” gains of their economic future just yet

America is though perhaps the last bastion of naturally aspirated large engines - the EU nations preferring to take advantage of the Chinese, who are in turn poised to mass produce electric cars in the future — they already produce most of the components after all

In the next fifty years, the world of cars will change almost beyond recognition. Here in the EU we’ll be almost exclusively electric, while in the States (dragging behind as usual) will be mostly hybrids. In a hundred years, our great great grandchildren will marvel at the exploits of a human actually being at the controls of a petrol driven “beast”, wondering how we stayed alive

It’s almost comparable with “chariot racing” watching some of these vids — and perhaps in the distant future we’ll come up with another way of doing exactly the same thing — mankind has a way of “taking it to the edge”

Meanwhile — enjoy what you have — your grand-children probably wouldn’t understand it

For me, the choice was easy - it’s the last naturally aspirated V6 that Mercedes ever made, or ever will (2009) ……

View attachment 138593

/rant
Did Rush predict the future?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts