TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I figured I'd start a thread on fishing. Member Fred (you asked.....:D) asked to see some of my fishing pics, etc., and I also was wondering if anyone else on this forum likes to fly fish, and tie their own flies? Now that I have a TW, I'll hit some more remote places to fly fish for trout. My wife is my fishing partner, and she happens to out fish me most of the time. Same thing when shooting at the range. She is a better shot than me too. Must be because she has more patience than I do. Oh well... Most of the time, she is the one dragging me out to go fishing, crabbing, and shooting. My Dad taught me to fly fish when I was very young, maybe 9 or 10 I think. I taught my wife how to fly cast about 7 years ago, and we both started tying our own flies. I haven't used a conventional spinning rod since I was in my early 20's. My wife, will take both, and use whatever happens to catch more fish that day. I love fishing for trout, but in the hot Summer months, like going for small mouth bass, crappie, and most of the time from July through October, we hit the Jersey shore for crabs, weakfish, fluke, snappers, and black sea bass. Of course, I don't use a fly rod there. My wife does most of the fishing, while I crab using box traps, and better yet, scoop up swimmers with a net. Crabbing we would normally get 70 to 120ish in a 5 or 6 hour morning. But since Hurricane Sandy, both fishing and crabbing have been very poor. The best day was about 56 crabs which was yesterday. Other than that, it's been less than 20. We go every Wed, Fri, and Sunday until mid to late October which is when it starts to die down. Then it's back to the fresh water streams for trout. I don't do as much fishing as I have, due to my bad back and leg, but I still go and sit stream side, in my chair as my wife fishes. That's why I have more pics and videos of her. So, who else loves to fish? Let's keep this thread going, and post up your catch of the day....:D

Here's a Match the Hatch video, as I'm about to trout fish in a spot close to home. Needless to say, only caught 1 small brookie which went back to catch another day.

My wife Jessa catches her first cocktail blue.

Here's some crabs.

Small striper.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Nice pictures.

I personally don't fly fish but i do(or did) like to fish a lot. I used to fish a lot of bass tournaments and did that for a number of years. I stopped doing tournaments because it became to much like work and my back cant take the pounding that a bass boat will dish out on big lakes any more. I think that all those poundings over the years may have been what caused my herniated disc issues. I also just don't have the time right now, i'm the primary caregiver for my mother who has Alzheimers to time can be a little hard to come by these days. The will is there to get out there but life keeps getting in the way.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I can't fish like I use to because of my back too. Now, I just sit in my chair, and watch my wife. I fish sometimes, but can't stand in the water more than 15 minutes at a time. So, I'm in and out, in and out. Now, I don't much, due to spooking fish....:eek:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing! I have a nice fly rod in the basement, haven't used it in years. I'm saving it for when life slows down a bit... On a side note: do yourself and your wife a favor, get belts that you can cinch up tight around your waist when using your waders. In the event you fall in the water, god forbid, the belt will keep your legs from filling up with water. If this happens, you'll have a MUCH harder time standing back up. Don't ask me how I know....

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes it is. Nice, I use to striper fish the surf and the Delaware River when they would run up, but don't have pics. I lost printed pics in the Irene flood when my house got hit. Not quite that size though. Thats's good eatin right there....

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
The way you folks are holding those gorgeous fish out to the camera is making me hungry, I want to grab them right off the screen! Bob, your wife is a sure fire fish catching machine!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yes it is. Nice, I use to striper fish the surf and the Delaware River when they would run up, but don't have pics. I lost printed pics in the Irene flood when my house got hit. Not quite that size though. Thats's good eatin right there....
Irene was easy on us, Sandy took out my whole first floor and everything in it, plus 3 cars and my motorcycle. The price to pay for living on a sandbar in paradise!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fred, yes she is, and she loves it. Can't get enough. Now that I have my TW, she said when I go riding, she's going fishing....lol She's freakin nuts about it. I find rubber worms, split shot, hooks, etc in her jacket pockets when I take them out of Summer storage. Just like my Dad was. A fanatic. We go a few times a week, all year around, because SHE wants to, not me....:rolleyes She catches them, cleans them, cooks them, and we eat them....;) I just wish my Dad knew her. He passed a few years before we met. They would have been best buddies. Damn, tomorrows Friday, So no riding for me. We gotta go down the shore fishing and crabbing......:( I wanna ride.....!!!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Fred, yes she is, and she loves it. Can't get enough. Now that I have my TW, she said when I go riding, she's going fishing....lol She's freakin nuts about it. I find rubber worms, split shot, hooks, etc in her jacket pockets when I take them out of Summer storage. Just like my Dad was. A fanatic. We go a few times a week, all year around, because SHE wants to, not me....:rolleyes She catches them, cleans them, cooks them, and we eat them....;) I just wish my Dad knew her. He passed a few years before we met. They would have been best buddies. Damn, tomorrows Friday, So no riding for me. We gotta go down the shore fishing and crabbing......:( I wanna ride.....!!!
You are a lucky man my friend!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Irene was easy on us, Sandy took out my whole first floor and everything in it, plus 3 cars and my motorcycle. The price to pay for living on a sandbar in paradise!
Yeah, that sucks big time. I know the feeling. We live right on the Raritan River. Irene flooded my basement full, and 16" on first floor. Taken out by boat right up my driveway. Stayed in a shelter with 600+ others in a school gym for 5 days until water went down. Mold set in real bad and very quick due to the hot weather. Lost EVERYTHING. A whole lifetimes worth of stuff. Plus, my whole band was set up in my finished basement studio. Drums, amps, PA, and lost 4 of my vintage guitars. Big big money right there. No insurance. House was gutted, and completely rebuilt. Lived on my Mom's floor (wife, sister in-law, 2 dogs), which is a little condo. Took 9 months before we moved back in. I was just put on disability 3 weeks before it flooded. Then 2 years later, Sandy drops a tree on back of house taking out 1 bedroom, and our camper. Shit, does it ever end...?? Because of all this, is why we are dead broke. We had a very comfy savings in the bank, but all gone in repairs, and replacing well, everything. I had to sell my Harley (which I hated anyway) to buy my TW. I don't have much to sell off anymore. I had a taxidermy studio back in the early 90's, and thinking about opening up shop again part time to start making money again. I've never been this down and out. Shit, I have this Pine Barren group ride in a month, and it will take me that long to come up with money for gas, food for the day, etc. We go fishing to put food on the table. Seriously. It sucks man. I wish this on nobody. I'll dig up some flood pics.

Are you in NJ too?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Went fly fishing yesterday afternoon via my TUU. We love eating fresh trout. Within an hour of catching it, it was on the grill. We live about a mile from the Bid Wood River. My wife refuses to clean them and I am not that good at it. I grew up in FL where I was catching bigger fish (e.g. grouper, redfish, snapper) and could be sloppy in my filleting, so I never learned how to fillet smaller fish well. IMG_3763.JPG

Werloc, sorry to hear about your flooding. Glad no one was hurt. Stuff is just stuff. That was one reason why we moved out of FL, hurricanes and flooding. We lived on the water, 3 ft above seal level and the flood insurance got unaffordable, not to mention all the salt water would kill our landscaping (uninsurable). After replacing the landscaping twice, we moved back out west. Here we deal with forest fires. Acts of God are everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
17,963 Posts
Yeah, stuff is just stuff, until it's yours! ha ha

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, thanks guys, but I'm passed, and over it. Except for being broke. It's been 3 years since the flood. Your right. It's only stuff. Believe it or not. What I miss the most, is loosing all my pics, videos, news paper clippings, and magazines I was in from back in my racing days. That stuff can't be replaced, and was a major part of my life. Oh well, yes, lucky we didn't get hurt, and could have been worse. Life goes on....;)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went fly fishing yesterday afternoon via my TUU. We love eating fresh trout. Within an hour of catching it, it was on the grill. We live about a mile from the Bid Wood River. My wife refuses to clean them and I am not that good at it. I grew up in FL where I was catching bigger fish (e.g. grouper, redfish, snapper) and could be sloppy in my filleting, so I never learned how to fillet smaller fish well. View attachment 9996

Werloc, sorry to hear about your flooding. Glad no one was hurt. Stuff is just stuff. That was one reason why we moved out of FL, hurricanes and flooding. We lived on the water, 3 ft above seal level and the flood insurance got unaffordable, not to mention all the salt water would kill our landscaping (uninsurable). After replacing the landscaping twice, we moved back out west. Here we deal with forest fires. Acts of God are everywhere.
Nice rainbow. Good eatin right there. I live on the river, but trout are few and far between. The best trout fishing in the state is only 4 miles from me, where 2 branches that feed the main river are stocked. I have friends that own farms bordering these streams, so I have access to good spots that no one fishes, not even these farmers. One spot is stocked from other side off a cliff where no one else can get to. Now, with my TW, I can fish more areas that I couldn't get to by foot, or with my truck. Next year is when I'll fish again. If I have time to fish, I'd prefer to go riding. Who knows, I may through some flies before then. My wife may drag me out after the crabs burrow in the mud.....:)

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Last fishing I did was my first trip to Buena Vista, CO, so we could float the Arkansas at night. Nobody allowed on the river at night unless fishing, supposedly can't catch a trout at night, but I caught a bunch and the friends (actual river guides) are still trying to figure out how. Only time I've bought a license since the divorce in '89--no need to leave the house if no woman's attitude serving as a push factor.

Grew up fishing, sport and commercial, in Florida. I've caught snook, tarpon, bonefish, sailfish, snapper, grouper, sea trout, king mackerel, jack, bonita, permit, and black tip and nurse sharks on flies, as well as a host of what-the-heck-is-that's. Flyfishing poppers for bass in the canals was one of my favorite ways to watch the sun come up. I've cleared a few nests of fat bluegills and shellcrackers with wet flies, too. Bluegills and shellcrackers out of a clear, spring feed rock pit, are about the best eating ever. The only bass I ever had mounted is a 12-pounder taken with a plastic toy arrow fletching superglued to a thin wire Aberdeen hook served up with a 9-weight fly rod.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Last fishing I did was my first trip to Buena Vista, CO, so we could float the Arkansas at night. Nobody allowed on the river at night unless fishing, supposedly can't catch a trout at night, but I caught a bunch and the friends (actual river guides) are still trying to figure out how. Only time I've bought a license since the divorce in '89--no need to leave the house if no woman's attitude serving as a push factor.

Grew up fishing, sport and commercial, in Florida. I've caught snook, tarpon, bonefish, sailfish, snapper, grouper, sea trout, king mackerel, jack, bonita, permit, and black tip and nurse sharks on flies, as well as a host of what-the-heck-is-that's. Flyfishing poppers for bass in the canals was one of my favorite ways to watch the sun come up. I've cleared a few nests of fat bluegills and shellcrackers with wet flies, too. Bluegills and shellcrackers out of a clear, spring feed rock pit, are about the best eating ever. The only bass I ever had mounted is a 12-pounder taken with a plastic toy arrow fletching superglued to a thin wire Aberdeen hook served up with a 9-weight fly rod.
I grew up in FL and after several years elsewhere, we moved back. Bought a house on the intracoastal (west coast of FL) and while I would fish periodically with buddies from my boat, my favorite fishing was via kayak. I could get into waterways that most boats could not dream of (shallow flats). I had a 16 ft sit-on top (very stable and unsinkable) with rod mounts, adjustable anchors, bait buckets, etc. I could paddle about a mile from my house and catch nice 30 inch redfish all day. If I was lucky I would hook into a snook. I quickly learned that the sharks used the intracoastal waterways as nurseries. I would catch baby sharks (lots of bonnet heads) quite frequently. Beleive me, catching a 3 ft baby shark via kayak felt like a whale. Once I was pulled about a 1/3 mile with a baby shark on, I finally had to cut the line as it pulled me into the middle of the busy boat channel.

In the 70's as kids, we would row out 100 yards from the beach and catch nice sized grouper. Two years ago, we had to hire a charter and went out 20+ miles to catch the same size grouper. Sad!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts