TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been commuting to work all four seasons via two wheels for a year now (bike, scooter, or motorcycle).

I only wish I had had a camera on me the whole time...

Motorcycle is currently my primary transportation.

I've had the TDub since the last week of Feb and have put almost a thousand miles on her so far.

Started video blogging a few weeks back for the heck of it, but also to have a record if anything happened, cause I felt like I was dealing with an increased amount of stupidity from my fellow drivers and pedestrians.

Turns out, being on a bigger bike (relative to a Yamaha Zuma, or actual bicycle), seems to get me in more trouble.

I drive very defensively, but I seem to be dang near invisible on the T Dub.

Here is a video of this week's idiocy... the first three clips are from my commute to work just tonight, plus two more from this week.

The move that the last guy pulls (total disregard) has happened several times to me already on the T Dub.

Please excuse my cussing problem (i.e. NSFW), I'm seeking medical help for that.

(DANG. I just realized I'm likely in violation of forum rules due to my pathological cussing in the vid... feel free to delete if necessary... sorry bout that. Its a reaction I have to stupidity I seem to have no control over. As a remedy, rather than embed, I'll just include a link. You decide if you want to check it out....)

http://youtu.be/2XJoG1o1YU4

·
Registered
258 Posts
I ride in Singapore and Indonesia. We have thousands of riders on the road - Singapore had 300 odd motorbike fatalities last year (inc pillions). I'd consider that low in a country of 6 million. One thing that I notice compared to Australia is that as a car driver - in a country with a lot of bikes - you are much more conscious of bikes being all around. In Australia being t-boned in an intersection or swiped by someone on a freeway is quite common - mainly cause drivers have not registered a bike on the road.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would consider adding some more lights,,

I put these LED on my wife's TW - they are actually quite bright and slightly purple - ( just off white )

in my opinion having light coming from as high as u can get and a few spaced as far apart will make you waaaaaay more noticable...

on the rear I have added some red LED strips they go all around the rear of the box.... ( cable tied on too!

> these are super cheap and dont draw much power..

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii118/chapostomy/tw/?action=view&current=eaa8a512.jpg

·
Registered
453 Posts
[/img]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I def see LEDs in my future... like A LOT of LEDs...

And I'm kind of in the same mindset at tw200sgp, I just think no one here even thinks about bikes, let alone sees them.

I mean, in all of the 5 instances in the video, I'm pretty much the ONLY OTHER THING ON THE ROAD!

Thats just how distracted they are...

The really insulting part is how un-apologetic people are about putting bikers in danger around here.

Generally speaking, if someone almost hits me in my truck, I would at least get a courtesy wave.

So far, around here, if someone almost hits me on my TW, they not only ignore me, but don't even swerve/brake/react to the situation.

EDIT: Heading to Cincinnati this afternoon for the weekend (via car, my band is playing a few shows). Gonna take note at how Cinci drivers behave vs Cbus. Cinci seems to have it together a bit more that Columbus...

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
for night riding, try a bright headlamp on your helmet that points wear you look. with a glance you can "spotlight" a person, without blinding them, to give them a heads up to your presence.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You sound just like me

But dude... probably need to calm down a little bit, especially for the group of people that were just milling around in the middle of the road or whatever. That stuff happens, people are dumb, etc. but there is not a lot you can do about it.

Lane-changer and crosswalk-er certainly have a blatant disregard for your (and their) safety though.

Generally the only time i get as worked up while riding as you seem to in that video, is when someone in a car or truck does something completely insane like try to turn left across two lanes right in front of me without signaling.

It certainly is dangerous out there though. Too bad you are in such a high population area, it is a lot better out in the country with regards to pedestrians and cars, but you have to really watch out for deer (and turkeys... almost took one right in the helmet at 40mph when it decided to leave the flock and fly across the road in front of me)

Sorry for the rambling. I need a camera like that, what are you using?

·
Registered
821 Posts
The key to surviving riding with cars is to treat everyone of them as homicidal maniacs out to kill you. I'd advise anything to be more noticeable. I find I have a much easier time on my full dress BMW than when I'm on my beloved TW. The Beemer being much more noticeable

1) Lights, esp like a "night rider" headlight on your helmet-Blind the cretins and get safe whilst they stop.

I would think the stick on flashing LED lights used on bicycles would work on your helmet

2) Really loud horn, the stock one is silly

3) Carry a pocket of throwing rocks for educating the real idiots as to the import of paying attention, ball bearings are better but also more traceable. Thrown hard enough you can crack a windshield, as a last resort and be sure and scoot away quick. Call it "self defense" or "saving the next guys life" I at least feel better after chucking a rock at someone whose just tried to kill me

Here in Commiefornia, there's just times where I don't venture out on the freeway to play, it pays to pick your battles too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I agree with operose. That video could have been me yelling in my truck!

When I'm on the tdub I'm a whole different driver. I heard to pretend your invisible back when I started driving the tdub and that is how I drive. I almost make it a game and expect the cars to try and kill me, I win when I don't die.

I live in a much less populated area and its much better here. That being said there are idiots everywhere, I guess we deal with them or stay home.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As a new motorcycle rider, and now paying more attention to each driver I am on the road with;

People suck at driving

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You sound just like me

But dude... probably need to calm down a little bit, especially for the group of people that were just milling around in the middle of the road or whatever. That stuff happens, people are dumb, etc. but there is not a lot you can do about it.

Lane-changer and crosswalk-er certainly have a blatant disregard for your (and their) safety though.

Generally the only time i get as worked up while riding as you seem to in that video, is when someone in a car or truck does something completely insane like try to turn left across two lanes right in front of me without signaling.

It certainly is dangerous out there though. Too bad you are in such a high population area, it is a lot better out in the country with regards to pedestrians and cars, but you have to really watch out for deer (and turkeys... almost took one right in the helmet at 40mph when it decided to leave the flock and fly across the road in front of me)

Sorry for the rambling. I need a camera like that, what are you using?

Yeah, I just generally have a problem with swearing overall... not that I'm wound too tight, I just drop way too many F bombs in casual conversation.... lol. That first girl really did shake me up a bit, though... you can hear my intake of breath. I dang near laid her out on the street, and that started my night ride off pretty bad.

Using a Kodak 1080HD Playsport Zx5. $99 on sale. Waterproof and shock proof, velcro'd in the helmet, bout the size of a cell phone.. Pretty simple and fun camera.

Heading to Cinci, will talk to y'all later this week!

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Yeah, I just generally have a problem with swearing overall... not that I'm wound too tight, I just drop way too many F bombs in casual conversation.... lol. That first girl really did shake me up a bit, though... you can hear my intake of breath. I dang near laid her out on the street, and that started my night ride off pretty bad.

Using a Kodak 1080HD Playsport Zx5. $99 on sale. Waterproof and shock proof, velcro'd in the helmet, bout the size of a cell phone.. Pretty simple and fun camera.

Heading to Cinci, will talk to y'all later this week!
Can you post a pic of how you mounted your camera?

Thanks, and be careful out there.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
First off, stop blaming others for your crises situations. Yes, they are morons, but who was at fault won't amount to a hill of beans when the EMTs are scrapping chunks of you off the pavement. You can be dead right, but you'll still be dead. Nobody in a car wants to kill you. 99 times out of 100, cagers just don't see bikes. I did see in the video that you made basic safety mistakes and failed to take advantage of pre-emptive defensive opportunities.

1) Pedestrian. Total moron. Props to you for not turning her into a speedbump.

2) 4 pedestrians. 2 ran across to get away from you, too close for comfort, but speed seemed to be slow enough and you were quick enough on the brakes this should not have been an issue. 2 stopped to let you go by, and you swerved into their lane. Partially your fault for not maintaining course. Again, props to you for avoiding a collision.

3-5) Cages. Nobody in a cage wants to ruin their day by crashing, not even into a motorcycle. Simply put, these morons either did not see you or did not recognize you as a potential threat to their mindless existences. I saw no evidence that you took any pre-emptive defensive action to a) make your presence known or
avoid the incident. Pre-emptive defensive action is the key to avoiding incidents such as emergency brking and swerving.

If you plan far enough ahead, you won't very often need modified lights. Watch for poor highway engineering such as blind intersections, entrances to a roadway just before exits, way to close together to allow safely changing lanes one at a time to enter and exit the roadway, landscaping in medians, etc. When you see such geography in advance, you can watch for vehicles that could become a hazard and initiate pre-emptive defensive driving practices before issues become issues.

Incidents 3) and 4), people turning left into you. They didn't see you. The human eye notices objects moving across its field of view much more easily than objects moving towards or away from the eye. Watch for people on the left and swerve side-to-side in your lane so your headlight moves sideways across their field of view. If you can see when the cager is looking in your direction, that is the time to swerve. Perhaps a vehicle traveling opposite your direction blocked the cager's view of you. If a vehicle is between you and a cage at a side entrance, you simply will not be seen. Move into position to be seen, or simply go ahead and stop for the cage pulling out. After all, you KNOW what is going to happen if you pay attention to your situation. You don't have to wait for it to happen to do something about it.

Incident 5), again, you looked like you were in the cager's blind spot. Really dangerous place to be. Don't be there. The barrier wall complicates the situation, especially since the lane looked quite narrow. The cager will concentrate on what he percieves as a danger, the barrier, and will not look away to check for traffic. This is the way people are. Good pre-emptive defensive riding takes human nature into account. You KNOW the cager is going to come over before he does. Get out of the way. Remeber, you don't have to allow his wrong to make you dead.

Now, if you are going to use the horn, get a HORN. No sense coming across like a whimpering puppy when you can come across like a pissed off junkyard dog.

You ride in a cluttered urban environment. Headlights are lost in the sensory overload. Adding more lighting won't do much good. Using lighting to create attention-grabbing displays will. Rig a button (universal horn buttons work great) to a headlight flasher. Much easier than repeatedly flashing the headlight with the original switch. I've seen a high-low headlight switch rigged to flash the headlight on low, and flash the headlight and blow the horn on high. That way you can flash the headlight and blow the horn at the same time. I'm thinking about adding some amber strobes to my front turn signals, a white strobe in the headlight, and wiring them to my HORN button.

Third, ride to be seen. Move out of blind spots quickly. Every time. You can speed up, slow down, or change lanes. Actively watch for cages and landscaping that block other cages from seeing you. If a cage is between you and another cage, you can see over the closer cage and pretty much see the entire second cage. The second cager cannot see over the first cage, and may have his entire view of you other than the top half of your helmet blocked. The top half of your helmet isn't going to garner much attention at all. KNOW that if a cager does not see you, he will pull into your path. Every time. Be seen, or take pre-emptive defensive action to avoid the area where the cager will be. Doesn't matter who is right or wrong, you'll pay the price either way.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i think qwerty ( the easiest name to type !!
) hit the nail with the make your light move to be noticed,

people notice things that move "weirdly" - we are all programmed to do so. and flashing is definitely a big help ( love that special button idea )

I do think modifying the lights will help.. simply having 2 lights make you more noticable especially if they are spread apart. basically becos having more points emitting means that they cant all be blocked - by a tree or door post.. and thats why I suggest having them higher - I dont know why but they didnt come out all that bright in the pic I posted - but in reality they are very noticeable..

try and get a bit of off white light- most people have white so if you have something diff it will be noticed?

I got my wife a book - the police motorcyclists hand book and alot of what qwerty ( love typing that! ) said is in there - positioning is everything!

I always remind myself before goign out that ALL other drivers are #ucktards!
( excuse my french!
)

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I got my wife a book - the police motorcyclists hand book and alot of what qwerty ( love typing that! ) said is in there - positioning is everything!

The authors probably got their ideas directly or indirectly from what was created by an an industry work group that included reps from importers and manufacturers, the fledgling Motorcycle Safety Foundation, and some federal highway safety folks. The group was organized to address the increasing rate of single-vehicle crashes of motorcyclists, mainly due to the rapidly increasing availability of relatively low cost, high performance motorcycles, such as the CB750 Hondas, H-series and Z-series Kawasakis, and such. The intent was to head off statutory limits on motorcycles, but such limits were eventually passed to support the contiued production of uncomptetitive motorcycles built in the U. S. of A. The MSF BRC also can trace its roots back to that brainstorming work.

Can you post the title, author, and publisher data for the police motorcyclist book? I'd like to take a look at it.

I always remind myself before goign out that ALL other drivers are #ucktards!
( excuse my french!
)
You express yourself in French quite well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
sure - my pleasure! here's a link to it on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Roadcraft-Police-Riders-Motorcycling/dp/011341143X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333863891&sr=8-1

its actually published by the british police police foundation.

to be honest the best thing my dad ever did for me on my 16th birthday was buy me a motorbike and pay for an entire days instruction..

I can still hear that guy's voice in my head as I drive down the street some 25 years + later,...

and this book has a lot of the same information in it....

a really good read that works well for where ever you are in the world.

( here's the motorbike and me aged 16 ! technically as a 16 y o your only allowed 50cc and must have pedals - so really its a moped - the garelli rekord 49cc of unrestricted power!
)

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'll order one for my motorcycle library.

49cc beats the heck out of sneakers. Where I lived we could have "5 brake horsepower or less" on public roads within 7 miles of one's residence. Honda sold the CL100S with a longer slide so the carb would only open 5bhp. The local dealer would certify any model 100 as 5bhp or less when the CL100S slide was installed. That's how my SL100 became legal when I was 14. Then the 100cc engine was swapped for a 125cc engine, stroked, bored, 160cc, magnesium cylinder and ported and polished head, Mikuni, pipe, cam, etc. And that is how a 5bhp or less motor-driven cycle can run 78mph on the highway.

·
Registered
453 Posts

is that it? a pretty cool looking first bike!!

thats probably where I was heading - i was already polishing the head on monthly basis... and you could overbore and change the cylinder head.

but then it got stolen after perhaps 3 or 4 months..

I bought a Yamaha FS1 E with the insurance money ( we knew them as Fizzie 50's ) which had a micron pipe on and I would also clean it regularly - often on a saturday morning... an incredibly desirable bike for a 16 y o as they were the fastest you could get and some could even do 60 mph!!

unfortunately Nottingham UK is full of thieving buggers - and that went - stolen from inside a friends garage just 3 months after.. then my folks banned me from having a bike - and I was forced to save that cash to get a car!

next biking experience ( apart from a dirt bike ) was a Honda C90 - and I spent a Year or2 delivering PIzza's on it whilst at college!

·
Registered
353 Posts
LMFAO!!!

Great narration. That could well be me on my 15 mile round-trip commute on Pac Coast Hwy.

The other day I was stopped at a light in the #1 lane with a lady in the lane right next to me. We were both 3 or 4 cars back. The light goes green, she accelerates and changes lanes in to my lane. I hit my brakes and my horn. She waves, whatever the @#$% that means. So I wonder, was I invisible when we were stopped and I was right next to her?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts