TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
That father got very lucky. Obviously he did not share or teach his values to his son while his son was growing up. That the son eventually learned them is a minor miracle in and of it's self. Deeper lesson there than the warm fuzzy feeling you get from watching it superficially.

Registered
I disagree Borneo. Words alone fall on deaf ears with our children, but actions speak loudly. That the child chose to ignore the lessons on full display by his father shows only the boy's shortcomings. Societal pressures shaped that boy's early years in-spite of his fathers best efforts. At least that is the way I saw it. Timeless song though!:victorious:

Tom

Registered
Pretty Damn Moving I'd Say......{The Gift} Harry's Song just shows so much about today's and even my generations...glad to say my dad, and me, have avoided those pitfalls and hopefully the sons and grandsons will has well.

Guess I should have added...we didn't avoid all the pitfalls, but both lived long enough to know we did more right than wrong when all was said and done....even though Pop only lived until he was 55, I began to appreciate his simple lifestyle, of working, hunting, fishing, and antique collecting...we had our disagreements, especially in my teen years....but there were seldom any cross words or actions between us.....same for my sons and me, disagreements? Plenty, punishments? You Bet.....but it has all worked out, so far....

Registered
I disagree Borneo. Words alone fall on deaf ears with our children, but actions speak loudly. That the child chose to ignore the lessons on full display by his father shows only the boy's shortcomings. Societal pressures shaped that boy's early years in-spite of his fathers best efforts. At least that is the way I saw it. Timeless song though!:victorious:

Tom
You'd have to prove that to me Tom. I thought the video made it quite clear the kid never knew his father made donations nor that he knew what he did at that place. It was only through happenstance and the acts of others that he ever found out. So, throughout his youth, when he was most impressionable he was never taught and never learned. In fact, the boy was unhappy and quite possibly might not have been had his father shared and instructed properly. My impression, good guy lousy father.

Registered
You got me a bit chocked up, Tommy. Corny-yes but still. Very true in my case where the kids don't listen to a word I'm saying. Hopefully my example will eventually rub off on them and maybe I'll get the love and appreciation I desire....too damn bad it won't likely come until I'm gone.

Registered
You'd have to prove that to me Tom. I thought the video made it quite clear the kid never knew his father made donations nor that he knew what he did at that place. It was only through happenstance and the acts of others that he ever found out. So, throughout his youth, when he was most impressionable he was never taught and never learned. In fact, the boy was unhappy and quite possibly might not have been had his father shared and instructed properly. My impression, good guy lousy father.
Well I base my evaluation on the number of times the boy stated he thought his father was "foolish, not very smart, wasn't inspiring". To me these are telltale signs that his father's message was lost on him and that he had no desire to see the value in his father's actions. Two different perspectives I know but my oldest son was not unlike the boy in this video. He was in his twenties before the lessons I taught him began to correlate. I believe that had the boy asked questions "thus showing an interest in learning" the father would have obliged him.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Registered
I am not yet as rich as I'd like to be!...

Me either, but this morning with the descendants is going pretty well.....keeping me busy and un~bored: :cool:

K~os 2.png

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #11
I think the man certainly led by example, but the boy thought his dad was poor, since the man was humble and did those things privately with out sharing why. Happenstance or God's Providence? I don't know, but the boy learned the lesson after all. ;)

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #12
You got me a bit chocked up, Tommy. Corny-yes but still. Very true in my case where the kids don't listen to a word I'm saying. Hopefully my example will eventually rub off on them and maybe I'll get the love and appreciation I desire....too damn bad it won't likely come until I'm gone.
I can totally relate Will. Onward we march, regardless. ;)

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #13
By the benchmark stated in this video, I am not yet as rich as I'd like to be!

Thanks littletommy, I know you are rich!
Outwardly, I'm a Pauper, inwardly, I'm a Prince!!
I am indeed the Richest Man in Spokane!!
(at least I feel like it!) ;)

On another subject Kris....:p
Dec 3rd by the end of the day should do it.

Registered
Tom, good news is we are in total agreement. We agree that I think you are wrong and that you think I am. Gee, I love it when we all get along. :D
Actually we are most likely both correct. Just to varying degrees.

Tom

Registered

Registered
The most important part of the OP, is that it looks like Tommy finally figured out how to make his links clickable!! ;)

Registered
That father got very lucky. Obviously he did not share or teach his values to his son while his son was growing up. That the son eventually learned them is a minor miracle in and of it's self. Deeper lesson there than the warm fuzzy feeling you get from watching it superficially.

Brought tears as my son lives away and we only use the ph now and then. as it turns out, he made a mistake as he punched the button for his work and got me and I was on this forum and told him to look up the song and artist. Sure took me back, thank you.

There is a God.

Registered
I'm glad you think so Tom, because I'm not a participation ribbon kind of guy. And I admire people who are wrong as long as they are wrong with a high level of commitment and conviction.
Well there are only a handful of people who will out wrong me! I am honored that you are one of them.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts