TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watch at least to the start.. wow.. like ants there were so many. Watch the whole ting if you can and you’ll understand why it’s 90% rider.

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mike, this is your kind of race!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
"mostly Triumph's & Norton's". Frikkin' Insane!

I love those Le Man's starts.

·
Registered
243 Posts
That video brings back memories of my 1971 Husky 360 and the Matthew desert races in eastern Washington in the 70’s and 80’s. Broken bones, internal injuries and trips to the hospital. Ahhh, the good old days!

·
Registered
234 Posts
The Mattawa 100? I rode in that around that time with a brand new 4 stroke 250 Honda SL...must have weighted 450 pounds......proud to say I finished ….and prouder to say I finished 3rd.....Guess who won that year....Malcom Smith ….go figure.....since he was a pro and was there as a factory rep he did not claim the prize...

Yes it was a enduro and the kids wrecked their bikes and themselves in the first 25 miles and the old farts like me just kept on keeping on.......some 40yo always won...

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Racing with Malcom.. nice!

·
Registered
243 Posts
That video brings back memories of my 1971 Husky 360 and the Matthew desert races in eastern Washington in the 70’s and 80’s. Broken bones, internal injuries and trips to the hospital. Ahhh, the good old days!
Yes, it’s Mattawa, not Matthew. Lol. I gotta remember to do a better job spell checking after the automatic mis-spell changing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Racing with Malcom.. nice!
We were in the same course....racing....not so much....he lapped the whole field.....I can't remember if it was 4 laps around a 25 mile circuit or 2 on a 50 miler......but whatever it was...it was no contest.... that was the first factory bike and crew I had ever seen.....different world....nice man.....

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What was he riding?

·
Registered
234 Posts
What was he riding?
Malcom rode a red and silver Husqvarna ….he was amazing ….won the Baja about 6 times ….3 times in a car...and the Six Day Trials several times......I also rode against Jim Pomeroy who was the first American to win a World Event ...in Spain ….His dad was the Yamaha Dealer in Yakima...at the time he was racing in the Northwest he was about 14 and kicking everyone's behind.....even in hill climbs .on a 250 Yamaha …....unfortunately Jim was killed in a non racing Jeep accident....

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I thought! Husky all the way :)

I watched him many times. Husky was the shizz back then and is at the top for hard enduro now.

They were very innovative in those early days.

Thanks!

Malcom rode a red and silver Husqvarna ….he was amazing ….won the Baja about 6 times ….3 times in a car...and the Six Day Trials several times......I also rode against Jim Pomeroy who was the first American to win a World Event ...in Spain ….His dad was the Yamaha Dealer in Yakima...at the time he was racing in the Northwest he was about 14 and kicking everyone's behind.....even in hill climbs .on a 250 Yamaha …....unfortunately Jim was killed in a non racing Jeep accident....

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Oh, those races are still out there. This one looks to be a hoot, watch the 2016 video:

·
Registered
107 Posts
They are Still racing desert and still run Grand Prix starts, but no mas smoke bomb. I agree about land closures, the last race struggled to make a 32 mile loop part of the event.
I saw Saddleback, Escape Country, Sespe, and red rock all closed and now the marines are trying to expand 29 palms. Miss the good old days.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I forgot he original post mentioned 90% rider, absolutely true and of course I have another story.

Riding sweep we come across a downed rider (young man older bike) on a nasty DOWN hill. Bike had sheared the handlebar off near the clamp, throttle side and was just hanging by cables.
Rider complained of shoulder pain and took off his jersey and you could see the broken bones when he moved. Trying to figure out how to get him outta there, we TAPED the handlebar back on and were looking for somebody dumb enough to ride it. Then the broken rider says he wants to try again!!!

Recap: with good bike and good health, crashed at top of horrible hill breaking bike and shoulder and now both badly broken thinks he still has a shot.
Why not, off he goes and makes it all the way down and starts to ride down wash (head back) we stopped him and had to force him to wait for the dog catcher. He was pale white and just itching to go into shock, but determined to keep going. never whimpered or complained, he had True Grit.

We go back to sweep and within minutes come across another down bike but no rider, find him off course under a Yucca really taking it easy. Near his new 10K vunderbike everyone else was trying to get outta the wash. This part of the course some sick puppy laid out a steep and tall no run up hill climb out of a narrow wash, hard left, straight up and it was carnage, guys stuck all over roosting everyone below, raining baseballs nasty.
Our shade tree participant had no injuries, he got tired and doesn't want to play anymore. I point down wash as the easy way home but he insists I call rescue to haul him back.
NO
After watching Mr. broken shoulder's display of determination, I had zero sympathy to start and then he started whining. "Somebody knocked my bike over, my cell phone don't work"
"it's hotdustynoisydangerous" " Im gonna sue you, the race organizer and the desert for my discomfort. Call Call Call

I left, wishing I had not given him the right directions home.

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow.. when and where was this? I just worked an enduro and had to get a guy out who got a rock in the eye.

I forgot he original post mentioned 90% rider, absolutely true and of course I have another story.

Riding sweep we come across a downed rider (young man older bike) on a nasty DOWN hill. Bike had sheared the handlebar off near the clamp, throttle side and was just hanging by cables.
Rider complained of shoulder pain and took off his jersey and you could see the broken bones when he moved. Trying to figure out how to get him outta there, we TAPED the handlebar back on and were looking for somebody dumb enough to ride it. Then the broken rider says he wants to try again!!!

Recap: with good bike and good health, crashed at top of horrible hill breaking bike and shoulder and now both badly broken thinks he still has a shot.
Why not, off he goes and makes it all the way down and starts to ride down wash (head back) we stopped him and had to force him to wait for the dog catcher. He was pale white and just itching to go into shock, but determined to keep going. never whimpered or complained, he had True Grit.

We go back to sweep and within minutes come across another down bike but no rider, find him off course under a Yucca really taking it easy. Near his new 10K vunderbike everyone else was trying to get outta the wash. This part of the course some sick puppy laid out a steep and tall no run up hill climb out of a narrow wash, hard left, straight up and it was carnage, guys stuck all over roosting everyone below, raining baseballs nasty.
Our shade tree participant had no injuries, he got tired and doesn't want to play anymore. I point down wash as the easy way home but he insists I call rescue to haul him back.
NO
After watching Mr. broken shoulder's display of determination, I had zero sympathy to start and then he started whining. "Somebody knocked my bike over, my cell phone don't work"
"it's hotdustynoisydangerous" " Im gonna sue you, the race organizer and the desert for my discomfort. Call Call Call

I left, wishing I had not given him the right directions home.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This was 5 years ago, a D37 event by the Hill Toppers up behind the rockpile at Soggy dry lake.
They purposely run them mass start off the banner and onto the ribbon up into the hills before running beserk across the puckers. Really get em aware the desert is dangerous before the course opens up into the fast parts.

Glad to read that you volunteer at events, it‘s not easy but pays big in memories.
I hope others hear about all the perks of volunteering and jump in too.
Ride sweep and ive been offered food gas and a place to sleep, tirespartsgripsjerseys and finisher pin. The USFS beats this by providing bikes, quads and all of the above and but the best part are the memories and people you meet.

Oh, back on topic. The USFS had the latest and greatest equipment ( thanks Malcolm Smith) and mandatory training but a LOT of the 10% riders.
At race events the volunteers on their personal bikes were more the 90% and require less adult supervision.
415B64C1-0057-40BE-89F0-406557C23EBA.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
People just don’t understand that you can get to a point were you live for the ride and the enduro life... Memories for sure!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts