TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

The Happy Bike Ride Report

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  MCC1776 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
great trip! and once again the mighty tw-turtle handled the ride without a hitch. (btw getting used to left hand driving wasn't that hard for me, it was remembering which way to look when crossing a street....)

#5 ·
Love the pics and report, thanks so much for posting them. I've always had an interest in traveling to Australia, so getting to see parts of it through your eyes is a treat. Sounds like you had a great time, and the TW did a good job for you. Thanks, again.

#6 ·
Ain't it great how a well set up little bike can do what bigger bikes struggle with!! Looks to have been a great ride, thanks for posting!

#10 ·
Speaking for a certain faction of TW guys I'm eternally grateful to yourself, Braden and others for reinforcing the fact that you didn't NEED the Beemer. Far too many are waiting on the Easter Bunny when the tool that's already parked in their garage will get them anywhere they wanna go.

Salud!

#11 · (Edited)
This ride that I did, of the 50 riders plus the started it. Over 50% of them were on BMW's. There were only 2 BMW bikes out of the 17 that made it to the destination. But these 2 BMW's had really good Pilots on board. Sounds like you have the same mentality over there has we have here. Too many people have watched Charlie & Ewen doing there trips ( supported) thinking they can do the same. But the first thing a lot of these guys need to do is to learn how to ride a bike first. Sorry to say, I'm a big critic of these people in our club, but someone has to say it.
The adventurer bike of choice here at the moment is the DR650. And to be honest I think it is a good choice for a new adventurer riding if they are looking for a bigger bike.

#13 ·
I know I want to do something to the rear shock, just haven't decided yet. How heavy was all your gear, and how far did your bike settle when sat on (Any pics of you on the bike this trip)?

Also, the three options for storage I'm liking the most is panniers, moto mule trailer, or a giant loop. I'd guess longevity wise the longest lasting in order would be panniers and least would be the GL. Since you've got one(I'm hoping I correctly identified your lumbar luggage), how long would you guesstimate the lifespan of the Giant Loop? Long enough to justify $300-400?

Great RR, gorgeous country side. Thanks for sharing

#14 · (Edited)

This is the only photo I have. I had just come thru a river crossing.
31 kg when all fuel bladders were full on the back. I only guessing but I think I had another 30kg of gear and water.
I have tried many panniers systems on bikes. The best options I like is wolf man luggage and a giant loop. That's what I use on my BMW F800gs. The cost of the Giant Loop is worth it. I have done some serious rides with the Giant Loop. With no signs of wear. I have also had some big crashes with it on as well. If my Giant loop was to get damaged, I would by another one tomorrow

#15 ·
1987 TW200 with 3300 miles on it-
$1050
Buying gear worth more than the bike-
$1051
Advice from a guy who's been there done that-
Priceless

Thanks OB, I think my back will agree more with the GL anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.