TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a beautiful day today, but I had a bunch of stuff I had to get done. It was late afternoon before I got a chance to jump on the TW and go. I had read about a geocache near a pictograph in the area, and I wanted to check it out.

On the way to the cache I passed by a site where dinosaur tracks had been found.

Like I said, it was a beautiful day to be out in the boonies!

I had to park the bike and do some hiking to find the cache.

Modern day dinosaur track

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a little water in the wash, not that common in these parts.

I wonder if someone a bunch of years from now will find these tracks.

Can you spot the cache?

There it is.

Directions inside the cache pointed the way to the Red Man pictograph higher up the canyon wall.

It's crazy what some wind and sand can do.

The pictograph is up there somewhere.

It's barely visible in this picture, at about 12 o'clock near the top.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Getting closer.

The pictograph is about 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall. Kind of unusual.

The TW is down there waiting patiently.

The sun was getting pretty low by the time I got back to the TW. The frogs were croaking in the wash, and the quail were calling. I tried to record that for you, but it didn't work out. That's alkali on the ground, not snow. I'm still trying to decide if I like the cup mount better, or the coupling mount.

Time to head home.

My efforts to shoot some video didn't work so well this trip, but here's a little bit for you to look at.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1O8m8RZFsM[/media]

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks like a good end to a long day.

Oh, yeah! It was dark by the time I got home. I just had a light jacket on, and wasn't cold at all. Things are starting to green up around here, and the apricot blossoms are in bloom.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Very nice scenery! No place like that around here to ride a TW.

After you left Redman how long did it take you to get home?

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
That's pretty cool seeing/finding prehistoric dinosaur tracks, pictographs, and geocaches on the same afternoon/evening ride. Whenever I go out riding into the rocky bluff areas, I look for pictographs and petroglyphs too. Last Friday I went for a ride (RR in the works), and was in similar type country. While searching for, and finding a cache at the base of a small cliff face, I was looking for pictographs, but none here. Is the pictograph you've shown, one with lots of visitors, or is it in an out of the way place not many know of?

Keep the video's coming on your rides when you can, I like 'em.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Great shots and story. With a 14 day old newborn my TW and riding are on the shelf for a while.

Josh "living vicariously from my TW forum mates"

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great report. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Dynamite trail in that video.

What camera are you using? I have a handlebar RAM mount for a camera, but I don't think my Olympus Pen E PL-1 with its big lens sticking out would survive the punishment.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Love that country. My Gr-Grandfather homesteaded up on the Az Strip, near Pipe Springs. There's a road up there that carries the family name.

Hope to take a TW adventure up there someday...Toroweap would be a great ride.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice scenery! No place like that around here to ride a TW.

After you left Redman how long did it take you to get home?

Thanks! My problem isn't places to ride, but enough time to ride them all. My list of places to go to keeps getting longer. On Google Earth I see hills to the east and west of San Jose. What's the riding like there? It took me about 20 - 25 minutes to get home riding half way on dirt roads, and the rest on back roads at about 35mph. Total distance for the ride was about 45 miles.

That's pretty cool seeing/finding prehistoric dinosaur tracks, pictographs, and geocaches on the same afternoon/evening ride. Whenever I go out riding into the rocky bluff areas, I look for pictographs and petroglyphs too. Last Friday I went for a ride (RR in the works), and was in similar type country. While searching for, and finding a cache at the base of a small cliff face, I was looking for pictographs, but none here. Is the pictograph you've shown, one with lots of visitors, or is it in an out of the way place not many know of?

Keep the video's coming on your rides when you can, I like 'em.

Looking forward to your ride report, I always enjoy them! This is the cache. You can see the logged visits are not real frequent. You either have to get to it by hiking a 1/4 mile or so, or by ATV or motorcycle, and even then there's some hiking involved.

Great shots and story. With a 14 day old newborn my TW and riding are on the shelf for a while.

Josh "living vicariously from my TW forum mates"

Congratulations, and enjoy that baby, they grow up quickly!

Great report. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Dynamite trail in that video.

What camera are you using? I have a handlebar RAM mount for a camera, but I don't think my Olympus Pen E PL-1 with its big lens sticking out would survive the punishment.

It's a Canon Digital Elph SD1000. Pretty good older camera, but with no image stabilization. Slightly newer digital elph's got that feature. Gunship uses a Nikon Coolpix with good effect, and Gerry uses a Kodak ZI 8 with good results. Of course, if you have the bucks, a GoPro or Contour is the way to go. I notice with the release of the new GoPro that the price of the older ones are coming down. I may pick one up from Craigslist some day.

Love that country. My Gr-Grandfather homesteaded up on the Az Strip, near Pipe Springs. There's a road up there that carries the family name.

Hope to take a TW adventure up there someday...Toroweap would be a great ride.

Cool! I'd be interested to know the name of that road. I'm planning a trip on the north half of the Honeymoon Trail, which of course will take me right through Pipe Springs. Yes, Toroweap would be a great ride. I also want to do some riding at the Coral Pink Sand Dunes before the sand dries out and gets too loose. I better hurry on that one the way things are warming up.

Thanks for sharing! That was great!

Glad you enjoyed it. It was a fun ride, and fun sharing it!

·
Registered
502 Posts
20-30 minutes from home - Nice backyard, B-dub!

The dinosaurs tracks and pictographs are pretty cool.

Guess I'm going to have to look into geocaching; seems like it takes people to out of the way places.

Nice. Thanks for sharing your ride with us.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
On Google Earth I see hills to the east and west of San Jose. What's the riding like there?

To the west it is redwood forests and the east it is open grass covered hills dotted with oak trees. There are many beautiful areas but they are behind fences sporting "NO TRESPASSING" signs or if state or county property/parks they are closed to motorized vehicles (hikers, horses, pedal bikers are OK). There are OHV parks and the largest one would fit into maybe half of one of your panoramic pictures. Basically, I am on asphalt. Getting to National Forest or BLM land is at least a 2 hour drive.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

It was my pleasure.

20-30 minutes from home - Nice backyard, B-dub!

The dinosaurs tracks and pictographs are pretty cool.

Guess I'm going to have to look into geocaching; seems like it takes people to out of the way places.

Nice. Thanks for sharing your ride with us.

Thanks. Yeah, that's what I like most about geocaching - you end up going to places you probably wouldn't go to otherwise. If you already own a GPS you definitely need to register and start caching. If you don't own a GPS, they can be had for pretty cheap on ebay and craigslist.

To the west it is redwood forests and the east it is open grass covered hills dotted with oak trees. There are many beautiful areas but they are behind fences sporting "NO TRESPASSING" signs or if state or county property/parks they are closed to motorized vehicles (hikers, horses, pedal bikers are OK). There are OHV parks and the largest one would fit into maybe half of one of your panoramic pictures. Basically, I am on asphalt. Getting to National Forest or BLM land is at least a 2 hour drive.

Dude, that would be like me driving to Vegas just to be able to ride in the dirt! But, I can relate, kind of. As this area grows it seems we have to go further and further from town to play. One of our favorite play areas is now under Sand Hollow Reservoir. A nearby area where we used to camp is now a golf course community. But, I can't/shouldn't complain as there is still a lot of area to enjoy. Until you can break away and make the 2 hour drive I'll continue to share my escapades...

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you take 389 SW out of Freedonia, past Pipe springs a mile or so. Road is on the left. Seen it spelled two ways Rauch Rd, Rauth Rd (The C is correct spelling)...it's also county Rd 241. Old homestead has a windmill on it, can't miss it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great report thanks for them fascinating pics of art and prints.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you take 389 SW out of Freedonia, past Pipe springs a mile or so. Road is on the left. Seen it spelled two ways Rauch Rd, Rauth Rd (The C is correct spelling)...it's also county Rd 241. Old homestead has a windmill on it, can't miss it.

Cool! That's another bit of history I'll have to check out next time I'm out that way.

Great report thanks for them fascinating pics of art and prints.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
As this area grows it seems we have to go further and further from town to play.

Enjoy and use what you have while you are able. 50 years ago around here there were endless trails through the hills but then the population exploded and the "do gooders / tree huggers" gained control and anything powered by gasoline was excluded from any nearby remote areas. As I look back now I realize I took it for granted and thought it would always be the way it was. I was wrong.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts