TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idiosyncrasies are common place — the things that make both us and our machines “individual”. Some are truly down to the individual — but let’s talk about the TW as a machine.

Here’s what I’ve discovered so far:

1: The throttle cannot possibly be operated to its full extent in just one twist of the wrist, unless you are an Orangutan.

2: The seating position is two-fold. You can sit back for comfort, or forwards for handling. There is no in-between. This gives you the option of either not making the bends, or moving your arse forwards and putting your nuts on the line every time you go over a bump.

3: The engine braking is what I can only describe as “fierce”, to the point where I don’t know why they actually bothered to included brakes on the wheel hubs.

What have you noticed about the TW ? ………….

·
Registered
762 Posts
I like the engine braking - since the brakes are marginal. I've had to make panic stops and am qualified to judge this.

Moreover, I'm not wild about doing brake work. So if I can just ease up to a light...so much the better.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Darn thing has tremendous rotational inertia with the fat, heavy wheels and tires. As old Charley Newton used to say "a body in motion tends to stay in motion until acted upon by an outside force" meaning the TW tends to just roll through, or over trailside obstacles more than other nimbler trail bikes. Takes a reasonably big hit to deflect off the intended track.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Hard to start when cold. Maybe I just don't know its idiosyncrasies.lol Never use a big word when a more diminutive one will suffice. And I don't think it's light.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It may just be my bike, as I have none other to compare to, but, although I've got it running good and can fairly pull the front end in 2nd, I find there is a strong "come on" off idle. Almost switch like, Go or No.

And secondly, something I experienced yesterday in a freshly harvested bean field. The front tire wanted to skate all over, getting deflected by the stubble. My 21", 30+ year old knobbies never ever noticed that they were there.

I realize I am still running the death Wing, and both tires may be older and dry, but as the rows gently turned, I had to, rather quickly, decrease speed and pay attention. :eek:

·
Registered
762 Posts
It's light for a motorcycle.

I've never had one this light. It doesn't even really FEEL like any other motorcycle I've been on.

And, yup...when the temperature gets below 60, it really doesn't want to start.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
If you ride a trials bike for a while, you will feel the TW is a bit heavy. And my 87 has a bad battery, so it's kick start only right now.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
It is the heaviest bike I have ever owned. Mine fortunately starts up w/o using the enriching circuit and can be readily ridden away within seconds, not cold blooded at all.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
There's gotta be something wrong with your carb set-up....mine and many other's starts fine with full choke down into the 20's.
Even the -20's.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Mine takes forever to warm up and really does run like poo at the low end. Think I should try a carb kit.

Clarifying: Low end steady throttle is quite jerky.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Slow warm up's, hard starting? Adjust the pilot jet to 2 and 1/2 out...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hmmm. Mine starts no problem with no choke.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts