TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I actually disliked the Gladiator at first. I still have some reservations, but I have to admit that since seeing it in person (and it looks a lot better in person than in pictures IMO), I've been warming up to it a little. I don't know quite what it is...there's just something about it, I guess: call it the X-factor. I still find the stock break-over angle grossly atrocious (I'm pretty sure the breakover on my old GMC is better LOL...). However, if you lift these WAY up, that problem is pretty much eliminated, and you have the extra stability that comes with that long ass wheelbase. I must say, a Gladiator on 40s or bigger would be a good time -- and with 700+ horsepower under the hood...it would be even more of a good time (think big Saudi-style sand dunes LOL).

This video just happens to be right "in my back yard". I've been on this trail myself a few times over the years, and it can be a beast. The video doesn't lie!

https://youtu.be/PdMxvgUJBZw?t=199

I still really want to see a from-the-factory 2-door version with an "extra cab" (take about 12 inches off from the back side of the cab -- with small back seats that are just enough to make it POSSIBLE to seat people back there if you NEED to. The 2 seater version is great, but I really dig the extra cab (someone made one -- it's on YouTube). If Jeep came out with a factory 4 or 5 seat Extra Cab Gladiator, I'd probably get pretty interested pretty fast. Of course, that's pretty much not gonna happen. But I'll never have the money anyway, so it's a little moot.

·
Registered
20,485 Posts
Having seen a few stock Gladiators on the road I felt they looked a little cheap. Guess I have become so accustomed to modified Jeeps that any stock one looks simple. Good platform for further modifications.

Reactions: kj7687

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having seen a few stock Gladiators on the road I felt they looked a little cheap. Guess I have become so accustomed to modified Jeeps that any stock one looks simple. Good platform for further modifications.
Yea, I don't know; as I said, I still have my reservations LOL. Something of a love-hate relationship, I guess... It's kind of like this vehicle is in a similar situation as the G310GS: unacceptable in stock form, but like you said, could be a good platform for the right sort of build. Seems like either of them "require" extensive modification, whereas some vehicles can be quite nice at or near stock.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Came up in these threads here before. After owning four (4) Jeep Wranglers (the real ones... two doors and a stick shift) I was really looking forward to the Gladiator. Waiting like other Jeep fans for years actually. Jeep had not made a true pick-up truck since the company was swallowed by Dodge-Chrysler. They certainly did not want Jeep producing a pick-up in competition with the Dodge trucks.

Fast forward to today and with Fiat as the owner the dream became a reality.

I knew I was going to get a Gladiator or an Unlimited this past Summer. Took some convincing of my wife why I needed a pick-up. She finally agreed and I went to test drive both models. Mind you this was the very first week the Gladiators came out and were available to actually see in person at the dealers, early July. Amazingly all of the special Limited Editions at close to $70,000 were completely pre-sold out. That's the type of market Jeep commands like them or not. Of course I was looking for the lowest base model you could order of either model, to lease.

Looks incredible from the outside. But in the cab of the Gladiator waiting for the salesman to come with the keys something changed my mind, I don't know but didn't feel right to me. I never actually drove it out of the lot. Sometimes ya just know what is or isn't for you.

Negatives and the only ones I could put my finger on, the bed is kinda ridiculous in size but then again it's being marketed as a recreational pick-up, it's for fun. No commercial business's are going to by a fleet of these, okay I get it. But the engine was too similar to the 2 door Wrangler I was trading in too, a 6 cylinder.

I was told a Diesel (a turbo diesel) with a bigger bed was in the works. Well, I was buying/leasing now so that was no help. I went with a big fat JLU loaded and it's pretty much a luxury vehicle compared to any Jeep I ever owned. I am enjoying it.

I still like the Gladiator a lot but don't love it. Being a first year model and what they say is coming... I'll wait to see how they shake-out over the next 3-4 years of my lease.
There are 2 Gladiators I see on a regular basis by my house. interestingly both owned by women and they are automatics. Usually parked at the grocery store or a local Starbucks. The girls look fantastic in them, Ha.
Who knew?

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I am obviously a jeep loving nut and I've been down the "should I get the Gladiator path"..

I had a Jeep Scrambler Pickup, it was the most awesome jeep for camping because it had some extra room and I had a rare hardtop for it. All toll i've had well over 30 jeeps of all kinds except JK and up.

I still have a 52 Willy's with a arctic hard-top and my 03' Rubicon TJ (only 19k on it, almost all in the woods).

End of day a Jeep or any vehicle is a tool for what you need it for. That's where things get iffy with the Gladiator.

These days a Jeep for me needs to get in tight places, and go just about anywhere as quiet and unseen as possible; scratches, AKA "Pine Stripes" are a given.

I used to be into the big giant tire sizes 37/38 and up (my Ford Ranger still has 38.5x15" DC's on it, but it's a trailer only truck these days) End of day the most useful size tire for me is a 33/34" extremely wide (13"+) SS tire. They make more sense for what I do. To big and you're to tall to fit where you need to go or can topple over to easy. 38's worked great on the Scrambler though (after I changed out the axles)..

Locking differentials front and back front is an absolute requirement "." - no way around it. 6" of lift is also a requirement, but a 5" lift may do.

While I loved the scrambler (a Jeep CJ with a pickup bed for those not familiar) new jeeps like the Gladiator are way overpriced if you want lockers and they have way to much to break (electronics under the truck)... I'd be afraid to use it for what I need a "jeep" for! I'll just stick with the TJ for Jeeping, no JK can fit where I go anyway and I won't be afraid to scratch it or drive through deep water.I've been in waste deep with no issues other than changing fluids when I got back.

What I think happens is people see these videos and get hypnotised, hell I do. All I can say is take your time figuring what your actually going to do with it and what you actually need it for i.e., cruising the BLVD or actually Jeeping.

A pickup bed that won't fit a bike has limited purposes for me, as a second fun vehicle sure, but at 70k for a Rubicon with options i'd just get another Ford Raptor. The one I have now only has a 5.5' bed, AND it's NOT very useful (and it was a surprise) but with 12" of FOX suspension and 500HP with a few mild add-ons makes it is fun for other reasons (sand dunes and jumping it, but that gets old). So in my case I really didn't need a "JEEP" that wouldn't fit down tight trails and I would be afraid to scratch and for the price it's still Raptor vs. Gladiator for a fun cruising truck.. and the Raptor wins. The Gladiator just doesn't fit anywhere in my needs.

The Jeep TJ Rubicon can do things and go places where the Raptor can never go, granted it is allot slower but no less fun to any appreciable amount. But I do love the look of a lifted "done" Gladiator, that's for dang sure as lars would say..

My oldie but goodie TJ..

Jeep-1.png

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think they're more of a novelty, and quite expensive. Yeah, I'm good with a TJ or CJ, I'll pass on the YJ.

Reactions: JerseyJeeper

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
The Jeepster Man was a good friend of mine..

Kinda hard to swallow...pay $50-60k and have to put another $10-20k in it to make it cool! I will pass. I prefer 'ole skool.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Give me a old Willy's MB and I'd be happy as a lark. ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well gang,
We're on Jeep Wrangler number 9 right now. Yep, we've had NINE of them. Three CJ's (1) CJ-5 and (2) CJ-7s. (2) YJ's, (3) TJ's( two of those were Rubicons) and our present Jeep, a 2015 JKUR. Our '15 JKUR is not nearly as built for off road as all our other Jeeps were built. For those that really know Jeeps, the building of them for quality off roading, you know darn good and well that, the more you make a Jeep Wrangler perform better off road, the lousier it handles ON ROAD. So, since this present JK is about 90% street operated, and 10% off road operated, all we did was put a leveling kit, some Mopar Hi-Top fenders, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Rugged Ridge spare tire mount, 315 75 Hancook Dynapro AT's on American Racing/Hanson Off Road 17" x 8" Alloy wheels and, a few other odds and ends. It's been to Moab, Ouray CO, many portions of AZ and CA.

I too like the Gladiator. And, had thoughts of selling our GMC Sierra and our JK to simply trim down to one vehicle, the Gladiator. But, your basic Rubicon Gladiator with even mildly equipped components from the factory, is idling out the door at very close to $53,000!!!!!!!!!!! Then, put say, oh, maybe a 2" Mopar lift and, some nice Hybrid MT/AT 37's on it with some nice machined aluminum wheels ( I despise black wheels) and, you're looking at right close to $60K when you're all said and done. For those of you that have more money than you know what to do with, that's great and, you can have a ball. But, $60K for something that STILL only get's around 13-17 MPG on the road (I really don't care what the government says you're SUPPOSED TO GET), and is your daily driver, to take it off road and potentially screw things up, that's a tough pill to swallow. We have a really, really nice looking, raised, White GLADIATOR running around here in Lake Havasu and it looks OUTSTANDING. I envy that gent beyond belief. I actually spoke with him at a gas station one day while fueling the Dub. He's got exactly how I described I'd modify ours if we bought one. He's pushing almost $70K in his. NOPE, not in this life time. Oh well, ours is PAID for and, works just fine.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
The Wranglers still have frames. And not all of the later ones "rusted out". Jeep, not unlike other manufacturers, got cheap in frame preservation techniques for a while. And some, not all, did develop some rust. Of all the years and models we had, which represented just about all the models, none of them had that problem. As for the $50K price, yep, the Wranglers, as in the later JK and JL models, especially in the Unlimited or 4-door model Rubicons, Hard Rock Editions and derivatives, and many high equipped Sahara's, easily push the $55K out the door price tag. And, as stated earlier, the factory can produce some with OTD prices of well over $60K. Again, a tough pill to swallow, for a "Jeep". But, in equal context, there's 3/4 ton Ford pickups out there that are commanding $90K price tags Out - the - door!!!
Scott

·
Registered
366 Posts
I fell in love with Jeeps after renting them in Moab starting in the early 90's. Had a nice 1998 TJ for a while and the wife drove a 97 Cherokee sport. When it came time to replace the Cherokee after 14 years of reliable service, we made the mistake of test driving a Subaru Forester. That's what sits in the garage now. There was no comparison between it and the Jeep Patriot we almost bought. I am very disappointed with the new Jeep Wranglers - too damn big and expensive! They have strayed way too far from the original concept. What used to be a good reliable, utilitarian vehicle has become a rich man's toy.

Hope to pick up an older one someday.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'm waiting on the Gladiator Diesel , basiclly same 3.0 in the 1500 dodge truck .

Yes, that's what I'm going to do but it'll be 4 years until my lease of the JLU ends. Hopefully the first year Gladiators and subsequent years will get as high a rating as the JLU's.
I never thought I'd be happy with such a big 4 door pig but I love it. Parking is of course not as easy as a real 2 door Jeep.

Have not taken it off-road on trails yet but it seems capable. Just added side/step rails from Quadratec:

The stock factory one is just an expensive step. This is 100% better:
IMG_2913.JPG

Body mounted. A frame mount version is tougher but I don't do any serious rock stuff out here in the Northeast. Just watch videos on youtube of folks that do that, Haha.
This is fine on a leased vehicle that I certainly don't want to damage but want to actually use as a Jeep even though... it kinda isn't:
IMG_2923.JPG

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Gladiator is a very cool looking machine, but way expensive for what you're getting. Remember the H3T from around ten years ago? I'm gonna hold out for the new FC Jeep when it comes out. ;)

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts