TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

The legend. The myth. The mighty Suzuki DR200! :)

14K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  kj7687 
#1 ·
I'm so bummed that I ended up selling my little DR :( but such is life. This video sure brings back some of the great memories, though -- and proves that you don't need fancy equipment to get out and kick some ass on a snotty trail! I can confirm that hundreds of hours of this kind of riding won't kill it -- what an indestructible little beast!

p.s. Mine wouldn't have had those silly clutch issues, because I'm on top of that sort of thing! But I definitely have to give this guy props for clearly using the bike to it's full potential and then some! Awesome rider and video :)

#6 · (Edited)
Very nice Xracer! :) These are definitely cases-in-point for the "slow bike fast" mantra LOL: enter a race on a bike like this and keep it pretty much 100% throttle the entire time! ;)

#12 ·
Oh yea, I know exactly what you mean. Knowing exactly what your bike can and can't do / knowing exactly where the limits are, and knowing how it's going to react to various inputs (e.g. how much throttle it needs at any given speed/RPM/gear combo for varying terrain/obstacles, how fast the back end will come around with a certain body angle and brake application, how quick the brakes will slow you down enough for that next corner on different surfaces, etc.). One other interesting thing that I found with the DR in particular was that only a few pounds seemed to make a massive difference in handling and overall performance. I took off the sub frame and all the stuff that attached to it (license plate + bracket, lights/turn signals, passenger grab handles, etc.) one time out in the desert because the sub frame broke. I rode the bike that way the next morning and it felt like a different machine!

#9 ·
May I ask,
What was the average speed of that rider, on that bike, on that run? It looked like he was doing 50-60 mph.
Scott

#13 · (Edited)
Of course :) It really appealed to me because of my experience on the DR for so many thousands of miles, and because I often rode mine the same way. I could actually "feel" what the bike was doing, like when he lugged the motor along that one sand corner in second gear and put up the "air cooled two valve single torque beast" text or whatever it was LOL (in all honesty, it actually was really torquey at really low RPM -- FOR what it was...it would lug along but just didn't want to accelerate from low revs -- plenty of torque relatively speaking, just no horsepower until the mid-range). Or when he hit the whoops at speed and was practically getting launched into orbit, or the extra hard hits a couple times where the suspension bottomed out on rough spots... I can even judge how hard the bike is accelerating and how much throttle input is being applied just based on the apparent speed and sound of the motor. As I said, the video brings back some great memories for me!

Reactions: oatmealx
#23 ·
...leading to next-day bankruptcy for KTM group.

Reactions: Xracer
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.