TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of a mini-report, because I thought you guys in Quartzite might be interested. We rode from Blythe down to Cibola when we were passing through last week.
We left Blythe heading East, and had to take the interstate to get over the river...

took the first exit...frontage road, then headed south on Ehrenberg- Cibola Rd.

...bunch of RVs parked out there at the start of the road. There's an OHV area, too, I think.

A really overcast day... they had predicted a 0% chance of rain.....

...it's a good road the whole way...

"Could be raining in those mountains"

The road runs right through the Yuma Proving Grounds....so you're not going to want to wander off too far.... unexploded ordinance!

Yessir.....could be raining over yonder....

Lots of washes to cross... don't want to be out here in a flood!

some of its kind of sandy....

It's raining now....big fat drops splatter our helmets, splatter the lens...

one wash after another...some wide, some narrow....

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

a wild pony, just ahead.....

he was drinking from a puddle in the road... and wasn't happy to be disturbed....

its not easy finding water out here....

it was starting to clear... blue sky appeared...

We've found it! My first sight of Cibola...the legendary 'Lost City of Gold'

the washes behind us....

Like Coronado.... I'm a little disappointed by the city... its not gold after all....

A part of our route was a bit of the Arizona Peace Trail.

Things move slowly in the City of Gold. They dedicated the historical park in 1998... 19 years later...well, "we'll get to it sooner or later..."

Cibola is a long way from anywhere....

What's interesting about Cibolla, Arizona, is that the only way to get there is through California...unless you come the way we did. Cibolla lies along the Colorado River... it's a farm town....

it's paved here!

The only way out is over the bridge. We were kind of surprised by the sign....

...but this guy made it over....

...and so did we....

California, here we come...... next stop, The Center of the World! (but that's another story).

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spent the night at the rest area there last night wish I would have had that ride as well thanks for sharing!
Yeah, that was an interesting ride and you could make a nice loop from Quartzite, either north back up to Blythe through the farm area on the Ca side of the river, or there is a turn-off through the Proving Grounds, then back up highway 95. Cibolla also has a wildlife refuge that might be worth checking out....

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
parts of that look a lot like parts of baja, i love vast open spaces. thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
That's a cool ride. What bridge did you cross over on?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a cool ride. What bridge did you cross over on?
That's the only bridge between Blythe and Yuma that I know of. I wanted to get to Yuma from the west side so we could go to The Official Center of the World.

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
I'm clicking the Spotwalla url at the bottom of your signature line but for me it's only showing your previous trip from Admiral's house to Las Vegas. What am I doing wrong to view your current trip?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
So I saw three bridges near Cibola on google maps one on the north "River rd" and the "Hart Mine rd."to the west and one near Oxbow recreation area. Google maps has a street view of River rd. Bridge but it must be an older pic there is no guard rail and the palm tree on the right and other side is smaller. The street view is amazing. One of my daughters lives on Catalina Island and she has driven all over the Inland roads and hiked a bunch of the ridge trails with a google camera. So she has probably done most of the inland street view on Catalina.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'll check the spotwalla. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I saw three bridges near Cibola on google maps one on the north "River rd" and the "Hart Mine rd."to the west and one near Oxbow recreation area. Google maps has a street view of River rd. Bridge but it must be an older pic there is no guard rail and the palm tree on the right and other side is smaller. The street view is amazing. One of my daughters lives on Catalina Island and she has driven all over the Inland roads and hiked a bunch of the ridge trails with a google camera. So she has probably done most of the inland street view on Catalina.
Yes, I stand corrected. We took the River Road one. I think the reason that they had the sign posted was because the railings on that bridge would not stop anything falling off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts