TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Leonid Meteor showers peaks this weekend, hopefully some of you can go outside and get a chance to see some.
Perhaps doing the proverbial "wish upon a falling star” just might yield a sixth gear for your TW.
Not likely to see the earth sweep through large cometery debris like in the following video, but you never know!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Always enjoy that, unfortunately I am too close to the city to really get a good view here. I remember one year out in Montauk laying on the hood of the truck watching and freezing my ass off, it was spectacular.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The August shower is probably the Perseisd meteor shower. Our aneversary is in Aguest and we sometimes are up at Catalina Island at Twp harbors on a boat. That is great shooting star viewing

·
Registered
20,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We should do another group ride next august to see the Perseids somewhere up with clear mountain air.
Return to the Sweetwaters 10,000 ft plus elevations for Aug Friday the 10th through Sunday Aug 12th 2018?
New moon is the 11th so nice dark sky for the peaks of 11th and 12th
“Forecasters are predicting a Perseid outburst with double normal rates on the night of Aug. 11-12,” said Bill Cooke with NASA’s Meteoroid Environments Office in Huntsville, Alabama. “Under perfect conditions, rates could soar to 200 meteors per hour.”

·
Registered
20,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got up before dawn hoping to see something like this streaking in at 45 miles per second. skyWord.509553-leonid_meteor.jpg

Despite predictions for good viewing my view low on the horizon to the east was limited and I just got cold in 25 degree weather on my icy deck before returning to bed. Didn’t see any. Will try tonight when view should be more to the south and higher above the horizon. leonidmeteor_20171116104823.jpg

Likely be once in a blue moon before I see a good fireball. blue-moon-tree.jpg

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Well the next blue moon is January 31, 2018. Ha. Happy hunting tonight.

·
Registered
20,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
January 31st, 2018 I will hopefully be out riding at Fort Stinking Desert to see the full blue moon. bluemoon_0.jpg Cloud cover thwarted full moon rise views on 4 out of 5 moon themed TW trips this last year. I use the full moon as an excuse to get out of town.

·
Super Moderator
17,954 Posts
Happy Birthday brother Nathan!! :p
Well, it was a total bust for leonids (overcast). Was able to shoot a little buck with my girlfriend along (on my birthday) so it was a great day without any stupid lightshow haha

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Fred that’s why we love you. Spoken like a true lunatic. I think that is a great excuse to ride.

January 31st, 2018 I will hopefully be out riding at Fort Stinking Desert to see the full blue moon. View attachment 138817 Cloud cover thwarted full moon rise views on 4 out of 5 moon themed TW trips this last year. I use the full moon as an excuse to get out of town.

·
Registered
13,645 Posts
January 31st, 2018 I will hopefully be out riding at Fort Stinking Desert to see the full blue moon. Cloud cover thwarted full moon rise views on 4 out of 5 moon themed TW trips this last year. I use the full moon as an excuse to get out of town.
I hope you're able to get out and ride that soon after your surgery full moon or not.:icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
20,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Saw a few meteor streaks late last night while properly bundled up for the sub-zero chill. Hardly worth it, much prefer the Persieds in the warmer summer evenings. Brrr...

Thanks for the good wishes Admiral. Recovery should be speedy and while likely a bit weak I look forward to resuming activities. I did soldier through 5 group rides and another 6 out of town solo trips with the developing pain this year so I remain optimistic. Riding these darn bikes just seems to make problems fade into the background. Just have to ride carefully.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I had a burn pile going yesterday morning at 6am - still dark, no wind and everything covered in frost - perfect time for a rather large pile of briars, wild grape and rosemary cleared from around the property....but, while enjoying the heat of the fire I saw a large meteor streak across the sky relatively close to my location (hard to tell how close, 1/2 mile I think) but it was going strong as it went out of view blow the tree line - I'm sure that one made land fall! Made my day!

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
On the last shower about 6 weeks or so ago – I just happened to look up as I went outside to the garage – in that moment, a single meteor came in at speed, and burned up in a bright flash

The velocity was unbelievable, and it was over faster than I could blink

The speed of some of these things really makes you think upon just how fast we (and they) are traveling …..

·
Registered
283 Posts
And thank you brother Tommy! Was a pretty awesome day. Sore as heck, weighed my pack after the march out...53lbs over 2.36 miles after already hiking for a few hours and prob 4 miles. I may be too old for this;) Meteors will make a man do crazy things

1 - 19 of 19 Posts