TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True story: when my wife and I got married, it was at one of those little wedding chapels in a touristy area. The guy who married us was a short little dude with long hair who we agreed looked exactly like Tom Petty. Who knows. Anyway, it's always been a standing inside joke with us that we got married by Tom Petty.

Here's another good one.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Terrible and a loss to the music world.

I used his music on a few riding videos:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Love that guy.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I was working in FM Radio when he first came around...I liked his work and played it whenever I could...but some of his 80s work was equally good...this is one of my favorites:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Those were the days, Hoot. You don't hear them play this one on the radio:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was working in FM Radio when he first came around...I liked his work and played it whenever I could...but some of his 80s work was equally good...this is one of my favorites:

Yeah, I like his later stuff too, Hoot. In fact I think my wife prefers his later stuff. But I definitely prefer the early stuff.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
And then there is this:

Only two of these guys left...talk about time flying by like a thief in the night :(

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I had the pleasure of seeing him and his band in a small venue up in Rochester NY some years back. I think they preferred playing in smaller night clubs over the big stadiums and they put on one fantastic show and had the place rocking like I had never seen before. I still have the ticket stubs somewhere but think it was in the "Horizontal Boogie Bar". We still play his CDs and a few of his 33 vinyl albums when music is the flavor of the evening here at home.

RIP TP!

GaryL

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
the first of many times i saw petty was neil young's 1st bridge school benefit show at shoreline amphitheater in 1986. they were still having issues with methane flares lighting up when people busted out cigarette lighters, but it was an amazing show.

rip

·
Registered
214 Posts
I got to see them in Seattle August 19.
They did a good show, lots of oldies. Mike Campbell was in good form.
At the time I was a ltitle grouchy about the cost to come from Alaska, hotel, and $189/ seat for average seats. Now I am so glad I made it happen.
Big loss.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
that Jimmy Iovine also found one of The Boss's throw away songs "Because the Night" and gave it to Patty Smyth she refused to listen to it for almost a year but once she heard it it took her 3 hours to finish the lyrics, they recorded it the next day in one take and it became a number one hit and Bruce Springsteen still had not had a number one hit himself !!!

Jimmy said a female singing a masculine male rock song was a winning combo the powerful masculine lyrics turn men on lol and yes I'd say he's right just look at Lita Ford with Ozzy

Lita Ford & Ozzy

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
that Jimmy Iovine also found one of The Boss's throw away songs "Because the Night" and gave it to Patty Smyth she refused to listen to it for almost a year but once she heard it it took her 3 hours to finish the lyrics, they recorded it the next day in one take and it became a number one hit and Bruce Springsteen still had not had a number one hit himself !!!

Jimmy said a female singing a masculine male rock song was a winning combo the powerful masculine lyrics turn men on lol and yes I'd say he's right just look at Lita Ford with Ozzy

Lita Ford & Ozzy
If this is the flavor of music you like then go find the youtube video of Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa singing "I'd rather be blind" from their Live in Amsterdam Audio DVD. Not sure if I know how to post the link but here is an attempt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts