TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Nice old Dodge. This model is after they quit making Dodges too ugly to die. lol:cool:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Rust belt! Yup, that is where I live and it sucks. I drive a 2011 Tacoma with the plastic flare fenders and so far so good. As I drive around and see what my friends have I have to say the big 3, GM, Ford and Dodge sure do look pretty ratty after just a few years here. I can't stand a pick up that has rust rotted fender wells but they all seem to be missing the point where the roads are salted, sanded and sprayed with calcium chloride. Fortunately I am retired and can just stay home on most days when the roads are loaded with the chemicals, sand and salt but for those who must venture out it is nasty on the metal. Ford just came out with an all aluminum body and I have to see how that fares in this region. I still think the chemicals will attack aluminum just as hard as the regular steel and the idea was weight reduction rather than rust prevention. I know in the past when ever I bought a new pick up I always had it spray undercoated right at the dealer but even that does very little to protect the fender wells from rotting through in just a few years. Sad to say but I think every pick up should come with nothing but all plastic fender wells where ever the crud is subject to build up under neath. A truck here in NY is sure to last about half as long as the same truck in the southern regions.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Rust belt! Yup, that is where I live and it sucks. I drive a 2011 Tacoma with the plastic flare fenders and so far so good. As I drive around and see what my friends have I have to say the big 3, GM, Ford and Dodge sure do look pretty ratty after just a few years here. I can't stand a pick up that has rust rotted fender wells but they all seem to be missing the point where the roads are salted, sanded and sprayed with calcium chloride. Fortunately I am retired and can just stay home on most days when the roads are loaded with the chemicals, sand and salt but for those who must venture out it is nasty on the metal. Ford just came out with an all aluminum body and I have to see how that fares in this region. I still think the chemicals will attack aluminum just as hard as the regular steel and the idea was weight reduction rather than rust prevention. I know in the past when ever I bought a new pick up I always had it spray undercoated right at the dealer but even that does very little to protect the fender wells from rotting through in just a few years. Sad to say but I think every pick up should come with nothing but all plastic fender wells where ever the crud is subject to build up under neath. A truck here in NY is sure to last about half as long as the same truck in the southern regions.

GaryL
I personally think it all in how you take care of something not the brand per-se. My 2005 chevy that my nephew now drives has over 200k on the clock and still looks like new, no rust anywhere on it. My brother in law drives the 2008 version of the same basic truck and its a crap box. The difference he has never washed it, waxed it or done ant other maint to it of any kind other than oil changes. I take care of my stuff, little things like crawling under in the the spring and rinsing the chassis and underbody so the salt wont fester goes a long way.... Same goes for regular washes and wax.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I personally think it all in how you take care of something not the brand per-se. My 2005 chevy that my nephew now drives has over 200k on the clock and still looks like new, no rust anywhere on it. My brother in law drives the 2008 version of the same basic truck and its a crap box. The difference he has never washed it, waxed it or done ant other maint to it of any kind other than oil changes. I take care of my stuff, little things like crawling under in the the spring and rinsing the chassis and underbody so the salt wont fester goes a long way.... Same goes for regular washes and wax.
I get pretty anal myself and wait for those rare nice days when the temperature goes above 30 and run the truck to the local DIY car wash bay. I spend a lot more time on the undercarriage than I do on the paint surfaces. Getting the crud off quick seems to work well for me and in the spring I use my own power washer to get all the left over crud off the frame. In my next life I think I will have an outdoor lift so I can get right under the truck and really clean it well.

GaryL

·
Registered
230 Posts
My Father had a truck like that old 1946. We lived on a long gravel road & as a kid, I would pull a drag with that truck up & down the road to fill potholes & that's how I learned to drive. Lol. The PTO winch was real handy around the farm. We wouldn't drive the thing more than 40 or 45 because it was so low geared, but for the time & place it was fine :).
I'm 58 now & wanted one of those "Ugly Trucks" but it didn't seem too practical these days. So I have a 1993 W250 with the Cummins & a Warn 8274 up front. My girlfriend hates the rough riding "Ugly Thing" & all guys love it. All I know is it takes me back to happy & simpler times when thing were slower paced.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
My favorite pick up is my '72GMC shortwide. My best friend says it's the ugliest truck ever built. lol I guess beauty is in the eye of the "beer holder". And I love the old truck Borneo posted. Just the dodge trucks from the late fifties and sixties I guess I think are not so awesome looking. I do think an old Dodge with the slant six engine would be intriguing. Oh, and Flathat's era Dodge is not the "ugly" era imo.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Age and beauty are relative I guess.

View attachment 23050
The venerable Power Wagon went from that 1946 model virtually unchanged into the early 60's. Growing up in my town where everything needs to be 4 wheel drive, the garbage trucks, lumber trucks, ambulance, fire trucks were all a variant of the Dodge Power Wagon. There were a few M37's also. Flathats, I hope you keep that one, it's a great looking truck.

·
Registered
762 Posts

GaryL
Watch the frame on those Gen2 Tacomas. When they moved manufacturing to San Antonio, they screwed something up...I don't know if they contract out frame assembly (many automakers used to; A.O.Smith used to make Chrysler frames) or what the drill is, but they've had an ongoing rust issue.

First batch to fail, Toyota paid for a FRAME REPLACEMENT. Can you imagine how much labor would go into that?

Second set of trucks to fail, Toyota replaced the trucks. Probably saved them money.

Not sure where the status is on your truck; Toyota may have closed the books on lawsuits with a class-action settlement. Ask around...there's a Tacoma owners' board; that's where I learned about the frame problems.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My favorite pick up is my '72GMC shortwide. My best friend says it's the ugliest truck ever built. lol I guess beauty is in the eye of the "beer holder". And I love the old truck Borneo posted. Just the dodge trucks from the late fifties and sixties I guess I think are not so awesome looking. I do think an old Dodge with the slant six engine would be intriguing. Oh, and Flathat's era Dodge is not the "ugly" era imo.
The Slant Six was used in Dodge trucks from the early 1960s to the late 1980s. You should easily be able to find one...unless they've rusted in your area.

It wasn't the desired setup; most owners wanted a V8; but for an un-killable beater work truck, there'd be nothing better. Fleets and cheap owners would get the six.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
What's a 12v? 12 cylinder? Didn't know they made that.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I think the Ford aluminum bodies will corrode just the same. Instead of turning rust brown aluminum gets dull and chalky, and paint on it peels. To prevent rust in my vehicles I spray WD-40 into the doors so it sits in the lip at the bottom instead of water and prevents the doors from rusting. In my area the Dodge trucks seem to be the biggest rust victims but there's a lot of not so old Chevy and Ford trucks missing cab corners and got holes in wheel wells.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Watch the frame on those Gen2 Tacomas. When they moved manufacturing to San Antonio, they screwed something up...I don't know if they contract out frame assembly (many automakers used to; A.O.Smith used to make Chrysler frames) or what the drill is, but they've had an ongoing rust issue.

First batch to fail, Toyota paid for a FRAME REPLACEMENT. Can you imagine how much labor would go into that?

Second set of trucks to fail, Toyota replaced the trucks. Probably saved them money.

Not sure where the status is on your truck; Toyota may have closed the books on lawsuits with a class-action settlement. Ask around...there's a Tacoma owners' board; that's where I learned about the frame problems.
That frame rust issue is still going on. I know quite a few folks that have had to deal with Toyota on it. The most recent being my girlfriends dad. He just got his 2005 tundra back a few weeks ago, his was in having a frame replacement. They did a coating on it 4 years ago due to the rust issue and it failed this summer and they replaced the frame. Why they didnt give him a new truck or a buyback is beyond me.

·
Registered
762 Posts
That frame rust issue is still going on. I know quite a few folks that have had to deal with Toyota on it. The most recent being my girlfriends dad. He just got his 2005 tundra back a few weeks ago, his was in having a frame replacement. They did a coating on it 4 years ago due to the rust issue and it failed this summer and they replaced the frame. Why they didnt give him a new truck or a buyback is beyond me.
They probably don't want to encourage more of it, with abuse and the like. I don't know...deliberately causing the frame to rust...that sort of thing.

Actually ANY adjustment by the manufacturer is a welcome change from what Detroit used to do. I remember when my mother's 1968 Ford frame rusted and broke...the car was five years old. Nope, not a DAMN THING Ford or the dealer would do...except mark down its trade-in value. She wound up having the frame patched, and got another year out of it.

Six years. That was all you could expect of a car, when Detroit controlled the market.

Toyota has mostly got a handle on corrosion issues...I don't know why they're having problems with that truck frame. The Gen1 Tacomas were not a problem. Cheap locally-sourced steel? Cripes. Just ship fromes from Japan, along with engines. It's cheaper than rebuilding half of the trucks five years down the road; and it's less costly than telling customers to go pack sand - and watch them go for Nissan or some new Korean truck instead.

Seems Toyota is losing its way; just as GM did twenty years ago.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts