TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know of my little old dog, Gizmo, some of you have even met him. He's a happy go lucky kind of guy who loves life. Well, lately I've been sweating bullets at the thought of having to have him put down. He's not in any pain, & he's actually healthy & strong for a guy his age, but he has a problem. His back legs do not work good at all any more. He hobbles around the house fine, more or less. But lately when he goes outside, he takes a few steps, tries to go faster, & out-runs his back legs. They can't keep up. His front end is as strong as a little ox. Everything else works fine. So put him down? NO! Let's put him on wheels! I mean, what 'cha got to loose? So, I dug through my vast resources of valuable materials (more like a lot of junk) and found the perfect set of wheels! Then off to check out Youtube. Sure enough, many have already done it. Good, so borrow some ideas, and +/_ $11 from the hardware store, & it was fab time! The first try did not work, so, cut the pvc pipe, two couplings to move the wheels rearward, & voila, IT WORKS!! (insert mad scientist laughter here).

P1010165.JPG P1010166.JPG P1010168.JPG P1010170.JPG

After a few more simple modifications to the front straps, it works perfectly! It's incredibly stable, even on dirt, un-even terrain, over objects like the garden hose or the door threshold with no problems at all! He is actually running in it! 180-360 degree turns in very tight spaces are not a problem. And yes, he can even do his biz while using his wheels! This is a total game changer for Gizmo, we are all very happy & pleased with how his wheels are working out. :cool: m.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Man, you and little Gizmo are my new heroes...that is just great!
Just think how much he loves you.
Give the little guy a good scratch for me.

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
And a cookie...:p

Good Job Mike!! :D

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
Mike; I think I need one too. Can you whip me together one? :D

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great idea. Have you tried Glucosamine?
Yes, he is on a daily dose of Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, & Manganese. A very good friend gave us this formula over a year ago when she observed the way he walked, & how he already was having some mobility issues. Literally, within a week we all could see an improvement. I strongly believe it is why he has lasted as long as he has. m.

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
Yes, he is on a daily dose of Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, & Manganese. A very good friend gave us this formula over a year ago when she observed the way he walked, & how he already was having some mobility issues. Literally, within a week we all could see an improvement. I strongly believe it is why he has lasted as long as he has. m.
I feel sorry for you Mike when that dreaded day comes when you have to let him go. It's hard. My little Ginger was with me 18 years. I hated when that day came. My sister Sue bought me a brand new Chihuahua about a month ago. What a character she is. I get a thousand laughs everyday with this new pup!! :D

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel sorry for you Mike when that dreaded day comes when you have to let him go. It's hard. My little Ginger was with me 18 years. I hated when that day came. My sister Sue bought me a brand new Chihuahua about a month ago. What a character she is. I get a thousand laughs everyday with this new pup!! :D
All so true Tommy, one more reason we are trying to do our best to keep him around as long as he is not suffering & in pain.

The fact that Ginger made it to 18 is not only amazing, but proof positive you treated her very well. Almost no dog ever makes it that long. It's a very kind thing your sister did for you getting you that new pup. They really bring such joy into our lives. I could go on & on, but everyone who has a dog already understands. :dog: m.

Hey LOOK! One post away from 1K ! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
Well, if I say thanks for the nice post you just posted; it will give you a chance to reply and say thanks littletommy; so I'll just congratulate you now.

Congratulations on your 1000'th post Mike~~

And thanks for the nice post bro. :D

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
All so true Tommy, one more reason we are trying to do our best to keep him around as long as he is not suffering & in pain.

The fact that Ginger made it to 18 is not only amazing, but proof positive you treated her very well. Almost no dog ever makes it that long. It's a very kind thing your sister did for you getting you that new pup. They really bring such joy into our lives. I could go on & on, but everyone who has a dog already understands. :dog: m.

Hey LOOK! One post away from 1K ! :cool:
Imagine how I'd treat a wife if I had one... :)

But alas... :(

·
Registered
1,965 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
Get a Penton...left side start!
I hate a kicker on the left side!! I'm right legged. It just feels so wrong to me... :D

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
My vet says glucosamine is good for all old dogs. even if not cripple
Great idea. Have you tried Glucosamine?

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
Yes indeed. Sasha our toy fox terrier was limping around and weak in the rear legs but after starting glucosamine she started running again. It wont make her young again but we try to do the best we can for our dogs.

Here she is ready for Halloween
View attachment 31654

Laying around with her sister Riley the papillon
View attachment 31655
Love the pics! I love the little tykes...:D

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
My good little dog, Whizzer...10.5 lbs. of rompin', stompin' Hell. HA!
A little rescue pooch who was 1-hour from being murdered when we got him.
His only crime? Being born.
He is really funny and a great little guy. The waggin' tail never stops!

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts