TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Say Yamaha finally says after 30 years we need to freshen up this unit. We are going to go with a fuel injected 300/ 400cc engine and a 6 speed trans. and beefed up suspension. What do you think would happen to the resale values of your 200? I think it wouldn't be very pretty. There would be a market for sure but how big?

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
They would have to change the frame, the brakes, tank capacity, and the engine / gearbox – whole new production line – whole new bike with a very different feel to it. They’ve taken it as far as they can with the TW225, anything else and there are market restrictions for Yamaha, (and already market restrictions on the 225).

The TW200 is a unique bike that fits in a unique “niche” – they know what they’re doing. In the UK we only get the TW125 which fits the learner market. Everyone slates it as underpowered except for city life. The TW200 has plenty of torque in third, and is more than capable as a “trail bike”.

Personally, I think that in the scenario you suggest, the price of the 200 would stay exactly where it is today, and there would be little take up for the more powerful model – unless it was subsequently discontinued and became a collectors item.

Yamaha’s attitude is that if you want a bigger bike, then buy a bigger bike – there are plenty to choose from without them compromising a design that’s been successful for 30 years …….

·
Registered
118 Posts
It may not have a bad effect but Interesting question. I like mine because it's low tech. A bigger engine and trans will drive up the weight. The injection will drive up the cost. I looked at various new bikes recently and a couple of the places had suggestions of putting my wife on a new quad and when I said no we are looking at bikes they then said we should go to a sxs. It's because we are old. When you look at the $4,800 price vs the ability to pretty much ride it for 10 years with maybe replacing chains sprockets and minimal maintenance it is an excellent value. I wonder what the production numbers are?

Keeping the bike as is and adding a dual range transmission could hurt the old models more???

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Now now there is something to worry about! ;)

I'm not worried about an upgraded TW, more likely they'll discontinue it and replace it with an entirely different bike.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Is is there a thread on this? Intrigued to say the least.

Yamaha IS coming out with a different model of bike....similar to the TW...but different.

Some of you know what I and a local dealer did last year with a morphing of a 2013 TW200 and a 2015 SR400.

Mother YamaMama has that bike, and the word I have heard is...they are working on a concept model to test the market acceptance, before production.

Personally, I hope they NEVER discontinue the production of the TW200. Maybe...make it a TW250...6 speed...F.I. :D

·
Registered
921 Posts
The TW200, as a product, may be more of a utility vehicle than a sports bike. I do not know the numbers but I see LOTS of them being used as farm bikes (very good in wet irrigated fields!). I bet over 50% of them are used in agriculture. I saw my first one in 1987 on a ranch in Idaho and their use in that area is wide spread. Here, in western Montana, it seems like every ranch as one or two.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The TW with EFI and 250 cc would be fine.
With the same engine, like the XT250 and it will be reliable too.
It's a good engine, because it's based on the TW engine.
And the TW will not be heavier with this engine.
To upgrade the suspension would be fine too, but with some higher quality parts and not more travel.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The TW with EFI and 250 cc would be fine.
With the same engine, like the XT250 and it will be reliable too.
It's a good engine, because it's based on the TW engine.
And the TW will not be heavier with this engine.
To upgrade the suspension would be fine too, but with some higher quality parts and not more travel.
You have experience with some of this as I remember your entries about increasing the cc of the current model. Why would a 300 or even 400 size engine increase the weight more than 10 or so lbs(5 kg).

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Say Yamaha finally says after 30 years we need to freshen up this unit. We are going to go with a fuel injected 300/ 400cc engine and a 6 speed trans. and beefed up suspension. What do you think would happen to the resale values of your 200? I think it wouldn't be very pretty. There would be a market for sure but how big?
It sounds like you need a Ducati Scrambler

image.jpeg

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dogonit this should jam you up. :eek:ffended:

Awesome. I'm going to look into that Ducati. The sad thing is if you got to that point with a TW, even mine with 203/204s, I think I could slog it through even though I am allergic to mud.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It sounds like you need a Ducati Scrambler

View attachment 31284
Looked at the specs and it is bizarre but you are right!!! Just got to see if I can swing it. It is the bike I have been looking for. Still won't sell the TW just in case I need it for? I seem to be getting into collecting bikes. I thought that was over in my life. Guess not.

·
Registered
20,158 Posts
The Ducati's 423 lbs wet weight before skid plate and knobbier tires would be a bit much for real trail riding, however the Adventure Rallye did look like a fun outing and well suited for those retro bikes.
I am not familiar with the trail difficulty rating system they used, is there a Triple Black Diamond or greater that represents normal fare for our mighty TWs? :D

I always thought Double Black Diamond must mean something challenging like this barb wire single track: the-great-escape.jpg
Isn't that our Borneo astride that old Triumph?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
At my age, picking either of those bikes up off the muddy ground doesn't seem appealing. My feeling is, more than 350 cc's is almost totally wasted. An old Husky or Penton would handle all that better than those bikes. Don't get me wrong, I love the Ducati. But not for that application. A trials bike would probably be best.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts