TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I started the few first steps to bringing a 1987 TW back to life.
Hope to have it running before the spring start to the 2019 riding season.
Wish me luck.

Not a lot of work done. But a start.
Pulled the spark plug and oiled the cylinder. Pulled out the old battery and dropped in the one from my Suzuki Savage.
It's the right length and width. But way too tall. Seat won't be going back on for a while. ;) Not sure of the output from that battery.
But if it can turn over a 650 single it should be able to handle the 200. Got the tank off. Doesn't look too bad in there. But the outside looks like hell.
Will deal with that when I know the bike will run. Left it sit about 6 hours. Put a touch more oil down the plug hole. Another hour later I turned the key on,
popped a new plug in the wire, and kicked it over by hand. We have spark!. For now I left it at that.

Gonna be a slow process. But as I make progress I will update.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This time? About 10 years. But it has been idle for long periods off and on for all it's life. Out of state jobs, health issue, life sometimes doesn't happen the way you think it will. Gonna give it a shot. If I can get her running without a major investment fine. If not, well we will cross that bridge if we get to it. Otherwise I'm gonna let my sister learn on it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Without knowing more of the history, my opinion is try to get it running as is. Having done both, my old bikes are all about running well and being safe for as little $ as possible. I think the biggest problem you’ll encounter is getting the carb back on after cleaning it if the boots have certainly shrunk. If you can get it running enough to putt around and test everything out you’ll know what the next steps are.

The simple answer is yes the 30+ year old boots need to be replaced. If the carb needs to be replaced, then my opinion is go with the newer style, no matter if you decide on OEM or clone. Cheers and good luck and keep us posted on progress and share lots of pics.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure I'm even gonna be able to get the the carb off without damaging the boots. But will give it a try. It's almost certain the carb needs cleaning. I'm thinking I'll clean the tank out and check for leaks. Get that squared away and maybe drop in a little fuel and see what happens. Then deal with the carb.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. A few days ago I pulled the tank. Go a mirror and a light down inside and found things were not in as good a shape as I thought. Still not horrible though. So I filled it up with vinegar and let it sit. 24 hours later I dumped it out into a clean container. Rinsed it out and reinspected. Still needed work. Poured the vinegar back in and waited another 24 hours. Repeated yesterday. Almost done. One more 24 hour period. Today it looks very good. Not new good. But not bad. I feel good about reusing it with a filter just to be safe. Washed it out with backing soda and water. Then again with hot soapy water. Then dumped a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Then a bit of oil to slosh around. Filled it with methynol free fuel and popped it back on the bike. Got it to run on choke. But not long enough to warm it up. Then noticed a fuel leak. Petcock, that held fine for cleaning, was leaking. Looks like the gasket to the tank.

So far the investment in resurrecting this thing, oil vinegar and gas, is about $25. Haven't been saving receipts.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
New chinese petcocks from ebay are cheap. Another member here recommended them and I bought a couple.. Worked fine. Best wishes on getting your '87 back on the road/trails. I love my '87.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well mixed results today. The petcock showed up along with some new fuel line and a filter. Got that all together and that cured the leak. So pushed it out of the shed to try and crank it over. No starter action. So now I get to figure out what that issue is. Yay me.

I think I'll start by trying one or two of these beers that came in the mail today.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Well mixed results today. The petcock showed up along with some new fuel line and a filter. Got that all together and that cured the leak. So pushed it out of the shed to try and crank it over. No starter action. So now I get to figure out what that issue is. Yay me.

I think I'll start by trying one or two of these beers that came in the mail today.
The joys of owning vintage bikes. Start by testing your battery. Did it start with a kick or two?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK. So between extreme cold weather and snow, and warm(ish) weather with flooding, and working too much tonight is the first chance I had to get back to this project. Had it on a maintenance/ trickle charger while I was away from it. Start testing the wiring for the starting circuit and very first thing I find is a lack of electrical power. Pop the volt meter on the battery, 6 volts. Wait a damn minute. Check the charger. Yup, set for 6 volts. I guess I'll try again tomorrow. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just picked up a 87 myself. Stripping everything now, cleaned carb and removing bad gas, getting battery, etc. Hopefully will get it started next week. May be a dumb question but how are you getting all of the liquid out of the tank? I took pepcock off and rolled tank to that side but can’t get everything out. Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Flush with fresh gas is the best method I’ve found.

If you’re not going to fill and ride right away, put a cup of WD-40 or whatever you have and swirl it around in the tank. Then drain and flush with fresh gas when you’re ready to ride. Mine started to show signs of corrosion quickly after I drained it and I had lots of stuff to work on before I could have it running again.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah. I had some rust in the tank. I drained the tank poured in some soap and hot water. Sloshed it all around and drained that. Rinsed with water and drained. Pulled the petcock to get all I could out. Then filled the tank with white vinegar. Over several days I kept checking on it. After three or four days it looked nice and clean inside. Rinsed it with cold water and a little baking soda to neutralize the acidic vinegar. Then rinsed again with water. After that I poured in some rubbing alcohol to absorb the water. Rinsed with fresh gas. And finally filled it with fresh, alcohol free gas.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts