TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a DS ride down to the Santa Rita mountains to check out some dirt roads I've been curious about.

Thems is some inviting hills.

The first few miles followed a wash through the bottomlands, so I was riding in a lot of loose sand. I was very happy to climb up a hill to this spot where the road ahead looked much firmer.

Looking south towards what I believe are the Patagonia mountains.

As you can see, FS 231 is hardly challenging terrain, but what a scenic ride!

I saw this pretty little flower by the side of the road.

Continued below...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Watch for falling rocks!

If the road name is accurate, this is White House Canyon.

When I was walking back to my bike after snapping this pic, I saw a herd of 3 white-tailed deer scampering off across that flat. I actually saw a lot of wildlife on this ride, a coyote, turkey vultures, ravens, tons of little lizards, those 3 deer, a rock squirrel, a roadrunner, one of those horrible giant tarantula hawk wasps.

That rock formation at the end of the range is called Elephant Head.

On my way back home I stopped by a pecan grove near Sahuarita.

Just over 100 miles and 4 hours all in, but the balance of street to dirt was a little off for my tastes. Looking at maps I thought that less of the route was paved, although I found the whole trip to be very relaxing and enjoyable. I passed dozens of other FS roads and OHV trailheads along this route, so I definitely see myself revisiting the area.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Excellent pictures, I'd love to ride there.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Great Ride, thanks for sharing! that yellow flower looks like some kind of lily, trefoil (three petals) is usually that family.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I wonder what's over that rise? I wonder what's down that little road? I think we're two of a kind. Looks like you had a very enjoyable ride, thanks for sharing it with us. PS Any luck getting pics of the wildlife? I'm usually too slow.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder what's over that rise? I wonder what's down that little road? I think we're two of a kind. Looks like you had a very enjoyable ride, thanks for sharing it with us. PS Any luck getting pics of the wildlife? I'm usually too slow.

Funny enough, part of the ride I'd planned was to an old mine that the satellite photos seemed to indicate there was access to from the farthest South point on the above map. Nothing says fun like an "unimproved road" sign, and nothing puts a damper on fun like a "closed to motorized travel" sign. The road to the mine sported the latter.

The closest I came to scoring a wildlife pic was of the 3 deer, but by the time I had seen them they had seen me. This whole area is open to hunting (if you're lucky enough to make the draw) so I guess a curious human is, understandably, enough to send them running. I couldn't get them into focus from 100 yards on my camera phone.

There's more mines and more critters to see out there though, I'll have better luck next time!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Great pics and great looking TDub. Thanks for the cool story.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts