TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between the folks I rode with at the Green Ridge ride and my 241 tire my peaceful rides through the woods are becoming a thing of the past! Can't seem to slow down and smell the roses anymore....

Tom

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Hey...you got me wet. :D. That turned out good.:thumbsup: I've always wanted to set up my camera and do a drive by, but I just never seem to remember to try it or I'm just to damn lazy... Hum.....probably to damn lazy. :)

Honestly I didn't understand why you wanted go slow on the Green Ridge ride. I see you changed your tune after building confidence with your new Badass 241. I can never promote it enough. It turns the clumsy TW into a different beast.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After so many miles on the stock front "nearly 6,000" I honestly figured the TW had serious speed limitations off-road. Turns out that the front tires propensity to slide and wander and bounce was a bigger influence on my riding abilities than I ever imagined. In all fairness though there is always going to be a huge part of me that just likes to slow down and take in the scenery. I love the sights and sounds of the outdoors and we tend to miss those things when we are going too fast.

Tom

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Great video of Speedy Dryden T-Dub.
Wasn’t sure for awhile if Tom was going to ride back and get his camera.
So, for all those who still sing praise for the stock DeathWing front tire let’s ask Tom if he would swap back after trying the Shinko 241.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great video of Speedy Dryden T-Dub.
Wasn’t sure for awhile if Tom was going to ride back and get his camera.
So, for all those who still sing praise for the stock DeathWing front tire let’s ask Tom if he would swap back after trying the Shinko 241.
Not a chance!

I used to be hyper focused on picking the cleanest line available to avoid any opportunity for the front end to wash out. I still look for the cleanest line but I no longer panic if I can't get to it or miss it entirely. Something else I noticed with my further use of the 241 is the MUCH better braking I get in less than ideal surfaces. This tire bites into most surfaces really, really well. Love it!

Tom

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
After replacing the stock Trail Wing front tire one can actually corner and brake effectively at the same time. Amazing improvement, will bring out one’s inner hero as confident entry speeds into corners increase. Off camber downhill corners become less intimidating. The front brake becomes your new powerful best friend rather than a switch used to initiate crashes. Nice upgrade Tom!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
One more thing that I noticed about the 241 is my mirrors don't buzz. I've seen people complaining about not being able to see clearly in there rear view mirrors at high speed. I have a 241 on my 06 which has a 14/45 sprocket and I always thought since they didn't buzz that it was related to lower RPMs. I took my BW out last night which has the stock 14/50 and at 65 MPH there is absolutely no buzzing. Bonus

·
Registered
28 Posts
One more thing that I noticed about the 241 is my mirrors don't buzz. I've seen people complaining about not being able to see clearly in there rear view mirrors at high speed. I have a 241 on my 06 which has a 14/45 sprocket and I always thought since they didn't buzz that it was related to lower RPMs. I took my BW out last night which has the stock 14/50 and at 65 MPH there is absolutely no buzzing. Bonus
Ordered my new front tire and chain yesterday. Hoping to get to Green River again soon!

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm gradually being convinced to trash the stock front tire on my bike.

Confirm it's the 4.00x18 SR241?

Is Amazon a good source @ $52.46 w/free shipping?
That is the correct size and the price on Amazon is hard to beat as well. Pull the trigger and you won't regret it.

Tom

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
I’m tempted to try one of Shinko’s gummier 255 Trail Pro tires and try not to prematurely burn it up on pavement.

Anyone have experience with one of these? shinko255trailpro.jpg
[h=3]Shinko Trail Pro 255 Rear Tires[/h]Looking for a serious tire for some serious trail riding? Shinko brings you the Trail Pro 255 Radial tire that is the perfect choice for off road riding when control and traction are crucial.
[h=3]Features:[/h]
  • Super soft compound with a highly flexible radial carcass, provides excellent grip on rocks and other slick, hard terrain
  • Lightweight, reduces un-sprung weight for improved performance and maneuverability
  • Available in 18" and 19" rear sizes
  • DOT approved

Note: Though these tires are DOT approved, Shinko does not recommend them for continuous highway or high-speed use.

About 2.6 lbs for our size, a 120/90R18
Maybe this tire could have kept me from dropping Betty Boop in a snowmelt swollen creek crossing today. Whatever it was on the creek bottom sure didn’t agree with my worn IRC because over I went. Brrrr!

·
Registered
928 Posts
My tire came in yesterday after the hail storm! I'll have it mounted this weekend :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts