TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
LOL the title got me. Cool mod though, I have been thinking about doing that as well.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I miss the kicker on my '97 so I had to have one on the '07. There is another kit on Ebay from the same place I got mine, $199 delivered.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The kicker kit went on easy, I'm big happy to have one, I just hope I never need it

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
No fair. Kinda takes all the butt-puckering wonder outta being a hundred miles from nowhere with a dead battery. What fun is that?

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
No fair. Kinda takes all the butt-puckering wonder outta being a hundred miles from nowhere with a dead battery. What fun is that?

Oofta, I need to find a cheap pre 01 with the kick starter. You know, so I don't have to push start it. Up hill.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The kicker kit went on easy, I'm big happy to have one, I just hope I never need it

R80rt,

Congratulations on the kick starter!

I have had my kicker kit (from Bay Area Yamaha) for a couple months now sitting in a box in the garage. I will be putting it in soon. Do you have any words of advice or things to watch out for when installing this?

Thanks,

Old White Truck

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The install was pretty simple, no nasty surprises lurking in there. You will need a tool to hold the clutch hub when removing and installing the nut.

There are a couple of other things that might help too. On the idler gear, you'll want the flat side out, the instructions didn't specify, but the gear teeth are chamfered on one side for proper engagement. Also before you bolt the side cover on, put the kicker on and make sure you have the spring wound tight enough to make it come all the way to the top. When you put the oil in and start it up, don't forget to check for oil flow to the head. Other than that, it's a breeze.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The install was pretty simple, no nasty surprises lurking in there. You will need a tool to hold the clutch hub when removing and installing the nut. Other than that, it's a breeze.

Thanks for the information r80rt! Good to hear that it was pretty simple - maybe even I can do it.

Ron In Boise mentioned that he was able to use a Vice-Grip locking C-clamp (11R) for a clutch holder so I bought one of those. The Vice-Grip 11R was about the same price as the specialty clutch holder tool but I figured I could use it for other things too.

I have to ask: now that you have your kicker installed, how many times have you kick started your bike just because you can?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That tool should work fine, but remember you just want to hold it, not compress it. Don't get to tight or you may have more pieces than you started with

All in all it's a easy mod to do. Oh yeah, I've kicked it over about 10,051 times!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
As soon as I get the rest of the $$$$ together, I'm going to be ordering from Bay Area as well....$200.00 shipped,good deal!.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You guys are wimps! I can bump start my TW in the car park of my condo if the battery is flat! (happens here fairly often as we have to have a powered e-toll system on our bikes and although they claim is doesn't suck power it sucks enough to kill old motorbike batteries over a week or so of not running).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks to all the great information already posted on this topic, I was able to install a kickstarter on my 2006 without a lot of fuss.

However, I need some advice on how you can get the kick lever return spring installed with enough tension to return the kick lever back to the correct upright position after kicking.

I've removed the side case twice and reinstalled everything to make sure it was done correctly. I wound the spring with as much tension as I could with some fear that I was going to break the spring or something else.

Without the side case on, the kick lever does go back to the upright position. However, once I re-install the side-case, add oil, and try it out, it stays in the down position after kicking.

It will start the engine, and there are no grinding noises, so I don't believe there are any parts installed incorrectly, or mis-aligned.

Is there a trick to winding the spring even tighter, without breaking something?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You probably just need to wind the spring another turn, It's easier to do with the clutch basket removed.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for the information r80rt! Good to hear that it was pretty simple - maybe even I can do it.

Ron In Boise mentioned that he was able to use a Vice-Grip locking C-clamp (11R) for a clutch holder so I bought one of those. The Vice-Grip 11R was about the same price as the specialty clutch holder tool but I figured I could use it for other things too.

I have to ask: now that you have your kicker installed, how many times have you kick started your bike just because you can?

I just put mine in first gear with thr brake on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts