TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode the black widow to shop to replace sticky fuel petcock and take front wheel off for shinko (goldenboy) front tire upgrade. Next thing I know I'm replacing bad front steering head bearings, changing front shocks fluid, and adding Powermadd 2" handlebar risers! Doesn't look like I'll be riding this weekend.

·
Registered
315 Posts
awesome! I love replacing stuff that needs to be done. Gives you a huge feeling of gratification. Or maybe thats just me? I just like working on bikes i guess

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The local motorcycle shop told me to remove two front screws of petcock, take out cone and polish with that green 3m scotchbrite cleaning pad. I did that about 6 months ago and did seem better but then got really stiff again and not fun trying to switch to reserve with vehicle behind you on pavement. A new petcock was only $26 so easier to just replace on my old bike.

·
Registered
631 Posts
well, you have it torn down that far.... you might as well tear it down the rest of the way and powder coat the frame, replace all the bearings, seals, tires, tubes, and put new plastic on it!! Oh, wait, that was my crazy logic!! ha ha!

I couldn't resist tearing mine down once I had it that far, you have more willpower than I do!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
It's been a while but if I remember correctly you can simply remove the faceplate of the petcock and lubricate around the OUTSIDE of the part that turns. You dont want that stuff inside your petcock. The contact between that and the faceplate is what causes it to be hard to turn. On old petcocks it can be a deteriorated inner gasket, but it will be leaking when off if that is it.

As for a new one my yamaha place sells a brand new one for $16. I payed $18 on ebay and they laughed at me and said "Always check with us first!" Now I usually do.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tryed just for fun to lube old petcock under plate, no difference. I did notice on new petcock that the whole assembly is a little bigger and lever longer for better leverage.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
steering head bearings done. Changing shock fluid now, very dirty. about 6 ounces came out of one and 5 from the other. flushing them with atf and then using some 5wt shock fluid I already have on the shelf. I have the drain screws on mine so changing it to 10wt later will be pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Getting closer! Really looking forward to trying out new front tire and handlebar risers.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Ditto what mrbracket said. I love these bar risers. I can stand up so much more comfortably. For me, any risers were good, these were just that much better. I couldn't believe how much of an improvement the SR244 was over the stock tire. I had gotten so use to the poor front end handling of the tire. What a pleasant suprise the SR244 turned out to be. If I got an extra front rim, I would try a more aggressive off-road front tire for my off-road experiences.

Have fun with your "New" Black Widow.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Though I replaced my handle bars, they are not tall bars and are only slightly taller than the stock bars. With the Power Madd risers which Importech has shown, all lines, cables, etc fit just fine without re-routing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
A quick question about the risers. Are you guys using them along with the tall ATV bars? Do the cables & brake line reach?

I bought a pair of the Tusk High ATV Bend bars. And they fit without any altering. I'm sure a 2" riser would cause some issues. That's just my thought, I havent tried it yet.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I bought a pair of the Tusk High ATV Bend bars. And they fit without any altering. I'm sure a 2" riser would cause some issues. That's just my thought, I havent tried it yet.
I think you're right. Since I asked that, I bought some Tusk High ATV bars and agree. I wouldn't want to pull the throttle cables any tighter and can't see a better way to route them. I ordered Tusk Raptor bend for my other TW. It's got 30mm risers. I'll see if I can use both on that one.

Oh....importmech, I agree that the snowball effect is real. All I was going to do was put sprockets and chain on my '95 and now I've got a frame with the engine in it sitting on a milk carton....plus piles of parts. The bike only has 800 miles.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
How do you like the raptor bend?!
Don't know. The order hasn't shown up yet. The dimensions are real close to the ATV bend...just a little more pull back. I've got a locked left elbow from a bike wreck so I'm thinking a little more pullback will be good.

Tusk T-10----Bend ---------------Width -------------Height------- Pull Back

ATV Sport Model Bend-------31.75" ------------6.25"----------3.50"

Raptor Bend------------------------31.50"-------------6.25" ---------4.00"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts