TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having spent time around Death Valley has likely heard and seen american military aircraft training up Air Combat Maneuvering or penetration exercises, often at very low altitudes. The booming reverberations off the canyon walls are often referred to as "the sound of freedom". Here is a clip from the pilots point of view to entertain anyone who has ever been on a hilltop and had fighters pass below eye level at the speed of heat.

Low Level

And here is what one can occasionally experience at "Star Wars Canyon":

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
The Avon Park Bombing Range is just a few miles from my work. Nothing like hearing F-15,F-16 and Navy F/A-18's zooming around,dropping flares and the wump of live bombs!

·
Registered
20,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dugway Proving Grounds in western Utah is another place to see various aircraft down on the deck. Originally a test facility for the U.S.Army Chemical Warfare Service it has since seen a lot of bizarre testing including some unfortunate accidents with anthrax and VX nerve gas releases. Still neat though.

Anyone notice how the low level pilot maneuvers and lines up the civilian vehicle for a mock attack run in the Low Level video? I've had this happen to me a few times. Years ago would also have my radar detector go nuts now and then out in the middle of nowhere; figuring some airborne radar was operating nearby on a frequency my Fuzz Buster could detect.:p

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
We have had low level buzzes in Anza Borrego State park at Blair valley . Usually at dinner time there you are relaxing with a cocktail and BOOM at a couple hundred ft directly overhead and gone.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Years ago we would climb the rock spires in West Virginia and watch A6 Intruders fly below us. I though it was pretty cool when one flew fast and low over our hotel about 3AM.

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
I used to live directly under the final approach to Dobbins AFB/Lockheed. C5's would fly in and out all the time, so close over my roof that I could literally read "Goodyear" on the tires as it went over! If you haven't heard one, there's nothing I've heard that sounds anything like a C5!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Wow. When I worked in the Wilderness above the Kern River you'd occainsionally be on an overlook on the Little Kern river valley and WHAM a fighter would zoom under you, maybe 50' away as the canyon was quite narrow. Impressive. Scared the bejesus out of my pack mules though and would take my a whiles to undo the inevitable wreck post flyby. At the time I wasn't appreciative.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts