TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one is a 2014 with 1000 miles
one is a 2000 with 4900 miles

The 2014 runs good. Tops out at over 60Mph (not that I really care about top speed... getting to the point)
The 2000 has had carb issues. I am now running an Chinese CV carb with all new boots. No changes to jetting, other than .02" shim under the needle. This bikes barely gets over 50. Timing chain adjusted. Valve lash adjusted and checked. New air filter. Exhaust sounds and feels ok. 150PSI compression with throttle wide open.

The 2014 has more power all around.

Any ideas? maybe just 2 bikes that are simply different.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Without more info, the slow one has radically different gearing?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
601 Posts
How did it do before you put the shim under the needle?

Marty

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stock gearing on both. Both bikes have new chain and sprockets.

I can pull the shims and report back.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
On the engine side of things, it's all about fuel and airflow. Did you over oil that new air filter? Did critters make a nest inside of the airbox? Is that Chinese carb restricting fuel or airflow? Do you have a "banana in your tailpipe"? i.e. is the exhaust spark arrestor, etc. plugged up?

Outside of that, are your brakes dragging? How tight are your wheels torqued? How are those wheel bearings?

If all check out, then get rid of that Chi-com carb.

Best, LTL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the engine side of things, it's all about fuel and airflow. Did you over oil that new air filter? Did critters make a nest inside of the airbox? Is that Chinese carb restricting fuel or airflow? Do you have a "banana in your tailpipe"? i.e. is the exhaust spark arrestor, etc. plugged up?

Outside of that, are your brakes dragging? How tight are your wheels torqued? How are those wheel bearings?

If all check out, then get rid of that Chi-com carb.

Best, LTL
Larry,
Checked brake drag and bearings, nothing out of the ordinary.
I can try to run w/o air filter and report back.
air box is clear
I did pop BIG $$ for a NEW Yamaha TW carb and the bike ran worse.. This bike has had 3 carbs.

Exhaust... good idea. Having trouble getting the arrestor out. Will work on that one.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
You could start swapping out parts and then do bike to bike comparisons to see if symptoms shift. Start with easy stuff like coil, spark plug and CDI.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ran it with the spark arrestor out. Bike ran much better. Seemed to "come in and out" of it. So there's hope.

Plug looks good.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Try swapping exhaust assemblies and see if the 2000's pipe plus muffler kills performance of the 2014 TW.

·
Registered
245 Posts
one is a 2014 with 1000 miles
one is a 2000 with 4900 miles 🧐 can you not swap carbs over if they are same make ? and see how they perform 🤔

The 2014 runs good. Tops out at over 60Mph (not that I really care about top speed... getting to the point)
The 2000 has had carb issues. I am now running an Chinese CV carb with all new boots. No changes to jetting, other than .02" shim under the needle. This bikes barely gets over 50. Timing chain adjusted. Valve lash adjusted and checked. New air filter. Exhaust sounds and feels ok. 150PSI compression with throttle wide open.

The 2014 has more power all around.

Any ideas? maybe just 2 bikes that are simply different.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Am I the only one missing something from Raffles reply? All I see is the post copy.

Marty

·
Registered
245 Posts
Am I the only one missing something from Raffles reply? All I see is the post copy.

Marty
😱 sorry scooterbrained , yeah ☺ for some reason the reply ended up in txt , look for the emojis and I said can you not swap the carbs from one bike to another and see if they perform differently with either carb on , as long as they are same carbs

·
Registered
601 Posts
😱 sorry scooterbrained , yeah ☺ for some reason the reply ended up in txt , look for the emojis and I said can you not swap the carbs from one bike to another and see if they perform differently with either carb on , as long as they are same carbs
Thanks Raffles, my bad I didn't look enough. The emoji had come through as just a square box at beginning and end of your text. It is there though.

Marty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts