TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
Gee Travis, aren't you Ditch Riders supposed to clear all the debris, muskrats and other trash from the canals? Surprised you didn't just use your AR and put that belly-up SUV out of it's misery. Or is it belly up 'cause you already shot it?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I see that all the time around here and almost always it is some 4X4 or AWD SUV that the driver felt was his ticket to fly!

I learned early right after I got out of the USN. Bought a beautiful K5 Chevy Blazer and my first fishing trip with 3 buddies heading north to fish for salmon in Pulaski, NY was a wake up. We were just above Syracuse on Rt. 81 and crested a hill at around 5 AM. All of a sudden we hit black ice out of nowhere and and the truck did 6-8, 360 degree spins going all the way down the hill. God was with us and we came to a stop near the bottom facing the direction we were heading and in the right lane but we all got brown shorted during the event. In the rear view mirror I watched a big 18 wheeler hit the ditch and two other cars spinning out of control just like we had. I don't care if I have a 20 wheel drive, this man goes slow when the possibility of black ice is present.

GaryL

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
Studded snow tires are very good at adding some cornering and braking ability to compliment a 4X4's added traction. ABS and stability control features can also save the bacon of the inattentive.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So are you insinuating they go half fast? :D
In a word, YES!

We've driven across Nebraska with treacherous winter road conditions on I-80 many times. It's always the Escalades and other luxury 4X4 land-yachts that go zooming past us at 80 mph.......and the first we see, just a few miles later, in the median or off in the deep drifts at the sides of the road. They did get there FIRST, though!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I commuted to law school on I-80 between Cheyenne and Laramie, Wyoming, '77-'80, over the highest part of I-80 called "the Summit." I had a Ford Econoline cargo van outfitted with a second bench seat for commuter buddies but the cargo area was still quite big. I saw many, many flipped vehicles but the one I won't forget is when it was cold as hell and the road was that layer of snow that had been packed down onto the highway with a nice, icy gloss on top. Needless to say, I was moving slowly, when I saw some small object in the distance. As I got closer I could see a motorcyclist on a Harley Sportster with his legs outstretched, outrigger style and he was moving along in an area just east of the Summit, the area known as Lone Tree (for a singular tree growing out of a rock in the median). Luckily we were on the road in the early morning so no other traffic (fewer semi's in those days). As I approached the bike, the guy went down in front of me and just slid for several feet. I was in the passing lane already, to go around him, when he went down. I stopped and me and my buddies ran out to the guy and offered to try and muscle the bike into the back of my van. No, no, no he said. He had just purchased the bike and did not want some Wyoming (all clean cut college graduate types) yahoos stealing his new ride. He wouldn't change his mind, just asked how far to the next town (Laramie) so we bid him adieu and watched him in the rear view. He may have gotten off at Buford, the only other stop before Laramie. Of course, we never saw or heard about him again, but I've never forgotten that dedicated biker on his ride through Wyoming. Wish we'd had smart phones with cameras back then.

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
Twilight, aren't you supposed to draft behind the trucks in bad weather for safety?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts