TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,592 Posts
I don't get it, what was the challenging part other than remembering to turn on the fuel supply?
Where was the "Crazy Hillclimb"?
I fast forwarded looking for something indicating the double diamond rating which I assume indicates some degree of difficulty. I don't think I have ever ridden anywhere with posted ratings other than at Bear Valley and Royal Gorge ski resorts, but those were for skiers.
It all looked like a fairly manageable intermediate road for a TW, even after dark. Guess it is all depends on what you are used to and what you are riding. Those bikes looked like they had tall motocross gearing driven by peaky power plants, not really the best for off-road play.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I kept thinking he should have been on a TW. He did have a light but not on the bike. I usually carry a good head lamp after seeing this I will make sure I always have it with me.

·
Registered
19,592 Posts
I picked up another pair if simple flashlights yesterday to add to my bikes' safety gear. They are more for repair, inspection and signaling than for lighting the way. After seeing a bunch of the "I Shouldn't Be Alive" TV series I acknowledge that when self-rescue isn't feasible being able to signal for help can make the difference between a good story and a good funeral. Flashlights join a 1 square meter orange emergency signal blanket as well as a fire source for daytime smokey signal fires. Silvery mylar safety blankets can also attract attention.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I agree with you Fred, not much of a hill climb on the right bike. The sign did indicate no bikes under 200cc, but you could easily do it on a TY 175.
A properly set up TW can do black diamond trails and even the dreaded red diamond trails.
In BC the trails rating is blue easy, green intermediate, black hard, red extreme.
The red trails are usually a state of mind as you are on the edge of a ledge that is a few inches wide and many times very steep.
I often get strange looks from the guys on their KTMs. Their most likely thinking how did he get up here. Answer - low gearing and great traction.

·
Registered
19,592 Posts
Yeah, despite the sign's 200cc advisory I think everyone here could tackle those roads and trails in the video with our 196cc TWs. Low gearing, off-idle torque , a headlight and electric starter would have made all the difference. An older 600cc XR in a poor state of tune would not be my first choice.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
Thanks for sharing that Gerry.

My biggest comment is, a ride like this ain't crap if your loved ones back home don't initiate a Search and Rescue (SAR) with the local Sheriffs Department! You got a Sheriffs SAR Posse com'in to get you, then you got something going on. For the old members here you know what I'm talk'in about. :p

While the level of difficulty can greatly depend on not just the type of bike ridden, but also the RIDERS ability. I still loved watching the video.

This is typical of one of Fred's easy ride's correct? :p

Most of you all know by now I got to experience something similar to this video with an all night ride and one bikes headlight not working. With my working TW headlight, I rode behind my son's son working headlight KTM. We tried to have him follow me like they did in this video but it didn't work at all. On our trip we were on a single track trail while these guys and most of the width of a logging road, albeit they had some deep ruts which ain't no fun.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
Now, now, now...I don't do anything the rest of you folks don't do, I just happen to have witnesses with cameras around at times.:p

Another portion of Fred's easy ride. A little water crossing our ride leader led us to up in the Sierra Mountains west of Reno.:D

·
Registered
19,592 Posts
That was a fun day with plenty of wet socks. Thanks for the nostalgic video.
More mud puddlin' from the Group Ride ending with me looping around a slippery submerged corrugated culvert pipe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts