TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
How many chicks do you think are in there? m.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Wish I could record and put up a video. I feed Ruby Throated Humming Birds all summer long. I go through 50 pounds of sugar each summer doing it. I have 4 feeders under the eves of my front porch and each feeder has 6 perches or feeding flowers. In the evenings I often have close to 100 hummers all either sitting and feeding or stacked up in a flight holding pattern waiting to feed. These birds are comical in the way they dive bomb each other and wing slap in mid air. Sometimes when I refill the jars and attempt to hang them they are right there trying to feed while I am holding the feeder. It can actually be dangerous sitting on my front porch in the evenings with all these masters of flight whizzing by at brake neck speeds. It is hard to imagine these tiny birds travel from here in the NY Catskills all the way down to Florida and further every year.

GaryL

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
20,488 Posts
My visiting hummingbirds only like this feeder style. Have 4 of them out already, refilled daily. Will have 8 out by August, 1 quart each, sometimes refilled twice per day. That is a lot of sugar, seventy pounds one summer, less since

Shot this afternoon with cell phone.

Reactions: elime and admiral

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Fred,

That's a really good shot with a cell phone. I assume cell phone camera's are a lot better now days than they use to be. Way Better by the looks of these photo's!

·
Registered
20,488 Posts
Yes, amazingly good resolution for a phone, that is why I posted casually shot photos taken in burst mode ( 8 frames per second, Motorola Droid phone).
What I meant to add was feeders should be cleaned periodically to avoid growing fungus and bacteria inside harmful to feathered friends. Also that I have wasted alot of money on fancy art glass feeders and other styles that do not impress my hummers, they ignore all but this simple old style. Maybe they recognize this shape from other stops along their migratory routes so buy this style if you want to enjoy clouds of hummingbirds like Gary.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Yes, amazingly good resolution for a phone, that is why I posted casually shot photos taken in burst mode ( 8 frames per second, Motorola Droid phone).
What I meant to add was feeders should be cleaned periodically to avoid growing fungus and bacteria inside harmful to feathered friends. Also that I have wasted alot of money on fancy art glass feeders and other styles that do not impress my hummers, they ignore all but this simple old style. Maybe they recognize this shape from other stops along their migratory routes so buy this style if you want to enjoy clouds of hummingbirds like Gary.
YUP! I use the Perky Pet 109 glass jar feeders that hold 32 ounces. Make my own juice, 4 cups water and 1 cup white sugar with no coloring. I heat it up to just before boil and allow it to cool. Clean the jars every week with nothing but clorox and hot water. Every spring I get a few nesting pairs first off and they are busy birds at creating a big family. By the end of summer I have at least 100 and probably all related to one another.

GaryL

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
20,488 Posts
Gary, sounds like you are an old pro with Hummingbird care. I hear same individuals will return to you place year after year, remembering where there is an easy meal to be had. Hummingbirds eat alot of mosquitos too so sugar cost is justifiable expense to lessen West Nile Virus risk. Cheap entertainment too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts