TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am out in the AZ desert looking to survive I always have a good Knife. Gerber LMF II 2 ASEK Coyote Brown Survival Knife & SEAT Belt Cutter -

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
When I am out in the AZ desert looking to survive I always have a good Knife. Gerber LMF II 2 ASEK Coyote Brown Survival Knife & SEAT Belt Cutter -
I carried the original Gerber BMF in the first gulf war. Best blade I have ever owned. Period.

Tom

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Price on Amazon with free shipping Gerber 22-01400 LMF II Survival Knife - Coyote Brown
$66.86
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
In 89' I paid $125 for the BMF. There were not too many working knives back then that cost more. By comparison $67 is a fantastic deal. Are Gerber's tactical knives the same quality today as they used to be? Some of their pocket models seem very average.

Tom

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Better then the BMF Amazon just has it cheap with free shipping other sites are around 100 +. and it has the blade sharpener and seatbelt cutter that I will use for rope.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
My 2 sons bought me that very same knife. I keep it on my get home pack. It's always with me when I travel

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Why would anyone need a knife that big? I've dressed caribou with a 3-inch blade. The only reason one needs a monster knife is to kill someone quietly, but even if you had a monster knife, would you know how to kill someone quietly? Not many do. Don't be stupid and take your knife to a gun fight, either. That could really ruin your day. Sheesh, if it was a cheap Chinese knockoff it would remind my of my POS son-in-law always strutting around like he has delusions of being Jim Bowie.

p. s. I carry a Gerber, too. Multi-pliers. Can't find an identical backup as it has given many years of good service.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
It's a utility knife and it has come in quite handy on the trails.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I carry a Leatherman OHT.
Have carried a Leatherman product on my belt since I was 15. I'm 52 now.

If you see a guy who looks just like me, and he isn't carrying a Leatherman... It isn't me.

I also carry a ridiculously bright LED flashlight right next to the Leatherman.

Why would anyone need a knife that big? I've dressed caribou with a 3-inch blade. The only reason one needs a monster knife is to kill someone quietly, but even if you had a monster knife, would you know how to kill someone quietly? Not many do. Don't be stupid and take your knife to a gun fight, either. That could really ruin your day. Sheesh, if it was a cheap Chinese knockoff it would remind my of my POS son-in-law always strutting around like he has delusions of being Jim Bowie.

p. s. I carry a Gerber, too. Multi-pliers. Can't find an identical backup as it has given many years of good service.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts

You are smarter than this statement Qwerty. First that is NOT a "big" knife. Second you cannot get much leverage for chopping or prying with a 3 inch blade. Third your 3 inch blade is plenty to kill someone quietly. Maybe I know this for certain, maybe I don't. I still love you though.

Tom

·
Registered
814 Posts
12 seconds, 2 seconds, but it's messy. I'd rather go get a cup of coffee.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
This Techna keeps getting smaller over the years. Light enough to usually be with me means it gets used for many a day's light duty. i have been using it since the 1980's and the blade is getting a little thin from all the use. Heavy pocket knives try to pull my pants down making me look like a teenager.:p

Attachments

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
You are smarter than this statement Qwerty. First that is NOT a "big" knife. Second you cannot get much leverage for chopping or prying with a 3 inch blade. Third your 3 inch blade is plenty to kill someone quietly. Maybe I know this for certain, maybe I don't. I still love you though.

Tom
I have other, more appropriate tools, for killing and prying and chopping. Jason is my friend.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
This Techna keeps getting smaller over the years. Light enough to usually be with me means it gets used for many a day's light duty. i have been using it since the 1980's and the blade is getting a little thin from all the use. Heavy pocket knives try to pull my pants down making me look like a teenager.:p
So does riding wheelies in the snow!

Tom

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I have other, more appropriate tools, for killing and prying and chopping. Jason is my friend.
I have no doubt that you do have "more appropriate" tools, as do I. What I do not have is unlimited space on or in my pack to carry them all.;) A quality knife for hiking/camping/survival, must wear many different faces. Kinda like politicians and even our beloved TW's.

Tom

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I agree that carrying tools with overlapping or excess capabilities usually means some can be left home. When traveling my dish soap makes a dandy rubber lube for fixing a flat, for instance. Even so, I have more appropriate tools than risking snapping a good knife if I need to pry. Tire tools, for instance. I don't chop, I have a cable saw. A knife is for cutting and cleaning dirt from under finger nails. Best not to abuse any tools.

Besides, in a serious survival situation you won't be going anywhere, anyway. If the fallen bridges don't block travel on the roads below the zombies will get you. Three days after the trucks stop running there will be no food for the zombies. You'll start looking like lunch. Zombies will start roaming, feeding off each other. Traveling by foot will be dangerous. Traveling by mechanical conveyance will be impossible as the zombies will drop trees to force you to stop. Traffic will not move much even if the disaster is predicted--ask people leaving Houston a few years back about 48 hour traffic jams and gunfights over bottles of water.

Reality is pretty simple. Disappear in place will be the key to survival without having to kill, until the government shows up to restore lawfulness. That could take months.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts