TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone deserves a little recognition at times. How about here as a place to point out some of the good things our members do to help each other out or just make the world a better place?
I'll start out small and simple:
Today I nominate Oneighty for a Wheelie for refusing to accept more than $3.00 for a pair of reflectors he spent $2.56 to mail to me. Thanks Jonathan!
I bet you folks can come up with other worthy candidates like boznaras's Scott Firefighter Stair Climb benefit...Good Man Walter!
What say ye?

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Today's nominee is SkiPro who took pity upon me for searching around on snowy single tracks looking for a missing faux air scoop for my XT225 gas tank. So he sent me an entire Serow gas tank with matching scoops. Thanks Gerry! What a guy! What a forum full of helpful folks!
Tank had it's cap pried off at one point so is too damaged to use as is, Anyone want to weld the top of their tank onto this one making a 3 gallon custom tank?:rolleyes:
Time for me to pay it forward just a little bit....gonna scrape the snow off my truck, put her in four wheel drive and deliver some turn signals to the post office to send to a deserving member.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Somehow I thought Admiral would be able to hammer out a solution. ;)
This will give the lame duck something to pound on this winter while shoulder heals...so off to post office now with SkiPro's recycled tank in his recycled box to mail to Idaho ( pronounced I-don-know).
Thanks again SkiPro, your generosity is the gift that keeps on giving.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scoops are treasure Ski Pro 3, thank you very much.
Now I have a project.
How do I remove decals and adhesive leaving a surface suitable for priming and paint? Heat and peel? WD-40? Acetone? Goof-off? Some of those decals can be tenacious and leave a gummy residue. However all my TW decals came off quite easily.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
You should be able to remove decals from plastic using a scraper-type razor blade.

I did that this week on my grandson's riding tractor. Also, lacquer thinner, (California style)

or acetone should remove any adhesive. This will also leave the surface of the plastic in great shape for paint to adhere. I've been using Rustolium 2X paint. It's made to be used on plastic and requires less than regular Rustolium to cover completely. Seems to have more 'solids' in the paint compared to most. BTW, the carrier for this spray is lacquer thinner. If you must apply a second coat, apply within the hour or else wait at least one week, then apply thin coats as soon as they tack dry. The reason is; the lacquer thinner in the successive coats will loosen the original coats and cause the paint to bubble and blister. Within the hour and the paint is not cured so it's fine. After a week, it's dried enough to withstand the solvent, but only in thin coats. Anything else, you will be looking at completely removing the paint and starting over.

I've gotten to be an expert on this with a lot of projects. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
343 Posts
For such tough jobs, my go to arsenal...

3M adhesive remover (quart square can, not spray)
and / or
GM Road and Tar Remover (again, square quart can)

Hit with heat gun to remove solid / bulk
Try the two aboves to see which one takes

Any left over residue, hit with wd40

Should all be gone and ready for prep.

The two aboves are, imo, just nice to have around ;) You will find many things to use them on.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I have had the good fortune to receive a few select items from members here. I am trying to get my TW's all fixed up with turnsignals and such. You all have been very giving with parts and all things TW. I have had the chance to pay it forward with a turnsignal switch ass'y to a member, and will be doing more in the future. I am thankful, on this Thanksgiving season, for the wonderful members of this forum. Your generosity is an indication of the size of your hearts. Thanks to all here.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I too have much to be thankful for. Many here have been extremely helpful to me and others. Whether it be the painting tips above, or loaning of TWs to ride while Betty was busted, or parts to get busted Betty rolling again so many folks here deserve my thanks.
For example TW-Brian not only gave me a complete kick-starter assembly but he delivered it in person.
Evan not only gave me a Jimbo shield but he let me drink his beer too.
Admiral gave me a good head after Betty Boop inhaled her intake valve and Elime hand honed me a oversized cylinder to fit a new Wiseco after Betty later ate her exhaust valve.
Betty extended swing arm was a surprise gift from Joemama who has also let me and others camp out at his place at group ride time.
TWilight and Plumbstraight wrenched on my bike for endless hours when Betty had a failing stator. They had driven down from Washington to ride, not wrench yet they cheerfully sacrificed their time. Twilight even let me swap out darn near everything except the air in his tires in attempt to diagnose what was wrong, then let me ride his reassembled bike next day leading while he sat it out.
etc...etc...etc...
The examples of kindness seen on this forum seems endless. ...and when I bought the TW I thought I was getting an obscure odd-ball bike outside the mainstream of motorcycling and thus would remain a lone rider without any real support. Good on you mates!

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Everyone deserves a little recognition at times. How about here as a place to point out some of the good things our members do to help each other out or just make the world a better place?
I'll start out small and simple:
Today I nominate Oneighty for a Wheelie for refusing to accept more than $3.00 for a pair of reflectors he spent $2.56 to mail to me. Thanks Jonathan!
I bet you folks can come up with other worthy candidates like boznaras's Scott Firefighter Stair Climb benefit...Good Man Walter!
What say ye?
Thanks, Fred! The recognition is much appreciated. I promise a build thread once the parts start going on and stop coming off... and an official wheelie once it's all done ;)

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I will as well, stand in a rousing ovation to TW Brian (Sir Brian The Undaunted), Friendly Fred and the much Admired Admiral.

Very few have contributed as much to this forum as these three. Brian’s professionally prepared and documented modifications not only inspire, but provide a ‘hand holding’ A to Z outline as to how to make your machine the ‘Absolute Best’ it can be. Upon first meeting, I was perplexed as to how such a quiet presence could make such an impact. Likely by being undaunted by the scope of his vision. Thanks Brian..

Friendly Fred, where do you get all your energy? Always a smile trail side and his enthusiasm fills the space between each and every pixel. An accomplished Trail Master in anybodies book. Not only is he willing to go where no man has gone before (more than once perhaps) he will devote countless hours editing to share his experience with us. Thanks Fred..

The much admired Admiral. Kind of the Clark Kent of TW adventures. like a snowball rolling down hill, a presence that continues to gain momentum. He and Fred should make a video game; The Terrestrial Wanders. We kid Kris about his hammers but to continue the metaphor, it appears he went from a tack-hammer to a spike driving sledge. The man has inspired us all by his willingness to lay waste to the mechanical gremlins that dare impact his machine and as well, covered much ground as a trailside explorer and accomplished video producer. Not only does he ride the trails, he cleans them as well. Thanks Kris..

These guys, and others like them, make this forum. Always willing to go the extra distance to make it better. Thanks Gentlemen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts