Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow! Guess who..?
[/video]

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Not only can Scotti ride wheelies he can seriously handle his TW on the trails. The stream bank he climbed I fell in on. :(

no pictures... It didn't happen lol

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ricks holding out on video of his crash? :eek:

Nooooooo..... you must post it for the entertainment of all. :)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
What gear...2nd?
Good job!

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He pulled 3rd.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Popped it up in 2nd with a shift to 3rd. Turn the sound up, you can hear the shift at about :27 into the clip.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Sigh....Here I was getting my confidence up for going 10-20 feet and had some luck doing them standing up today. And that was only in first gear. From where I'm at with it switching gear while doing a wheelie sounds kinda crazy. For me this is at least a year away if not a hospital visit.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Who is going to teach me how to do that????? Cool.
I had a guide/Lead rider over the weekend up at DirtDaze Rally riding an older carbie xt250. "SHE" was certainly a Wheelie Queen.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
This is the video that got me started on "balance" wheelies. I've done wheelies on and off for years, but on bigger and faster bikes and they were the "acceleration" wheelies. Had to keep accelerating to keep the wheel up. The hardest wheelies are the slow ones. If you get so you can do them, everything else is easy. Slow wheelies also hurt less when you fall off. I recommend taking off the rear fender ext./taillight, rear turn signals, and mirrors and practicing on a grassy area. It helps to have 2 TW's, a daily driver and a wheelie bike. I was fortunate to pick up a '96 for $950. Practice every chance you get.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Sigh....Here I was getting my confidence up for going 10-20 feet and had some luck doing them standing up today. And that was only in first gear. From where I'm at with it switching gear while doing a wheelie sounds kinda crazy. For me this is at least a year away if not a hospital visit.
Follow the instructions in the video. You'll be doing wheelies with very few trips to the hospital.:D

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I've actually been watching lots of those Cross training enduro videos. I call him "Mr. Gumby". As a result I've yet to loose control in my wheelie attempts.

Graham Jarvis makes everything look easy.

Grass is much easier. I find them much harder on loose dirt. It seems you really have to compress the suspension/tap the brakes or you break traction. It looks much easier on skinnier tire bikes since our fat tires disperse weight.

I like stand up wheelies better as they seem more practical for clearing obstacles. Sitting seems to be mostly for showing off unless you need to increase your bottom clearance though obstacles to clear your pegs and levers. Or to reduce splash though water.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Popping the clutch standing is a bit scary but since you're standing compressing the suspension works wonders. Ergonomically I find it feels like hill climbing only without a hill but I do find covering the rear brake in this position a little awkward.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I do find covering the rear brake in this position a little awkward.
Same here. It seems like footpegs are too far forward for standing. Even with forward set on the bar riser. The only time I stand is when I see a huge pothole or bump coming up fast and try to save my back by getting my butt off the seat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts