TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
white_tiger.jpg
was it just me that expected something else?

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
That was a rather different movie.
Played at 2X speed that Tiger Tank was moving around like a TW.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
I watched the entire movie. I had to stop it a few time to catch up on the reading but all in all it was interesting. The ending is not what I expected it to be but it was still good. Also a lot of Lend/Lease stuff in the movie.

Here is one I found interesting. It is about the Chinese civil war and is based on a true incident.
For all you gun nuts, remember this is a Chinese movie, how many American made surplus rifles can you identify? I think the army back then used what ever weapons they could get their hands on and the movie reflexes that.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I think the Russian white tiger movie had a pretty feeble story line. Some nice footage of T 34s of various different models, some of which were probably not WW2 vintage.
But then The movie Patton used American tanks of post Korean War models. It is very difficult to obtain originals. As for American tanks, When they become obsolete they
get used for targets in training areas. I know because I have shot up many of them in my time in early M-60s. I know that the Russians used to send theirs to lesser countries that were their allies or at least had the money to buy them. The tiger in the movie looked to be a WW2 leftover and it may have been an original. A few of them found their way into the arsenals of third world countries after WW2, it may have been one of these or one resurrected from a Russian junk yard. I am sure there were plenty of them left in Russia after the war.
My vote for the best tank movie ever goes to "Fury" starring Brad Pit. Who ever conjured up the personalities of the tank crewman in that movie hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I watched the first 12 minutes of the Chinese movie. It looked pretty realistic and well filmed, I'll watch the whole thing later. I did see a variety of weapons, American Springfield's, I thought I saw a Brit Lee Enfield in one mans hands, and there seemed to be some Russian Bolt actions of WW2 vintage. The submachine guns were probably Russian.
I would bet that the wide variety of weapons was intentionally used by the movie makers. After all this was a movie about civil war. Civil wars usually have one side making do with what ever they can get their hands on while the big government troops would be more uniformly armed. The potato masher grenades may have been German but other countries used them too. The smaller grenades could have been British or American. China at the end of WW2 had a plethora of weapons and ammunition given them by the allies in WW2.
After things stabilized a few years later they made their own copies of SKS and other Russian weapons.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Keep on the look out for a Johnson -- it competed with the Garand to be the US Army rifle. A small number of Johnsons were used by the Marines in the Pacific and at least one found its way into this movie production.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
"Kellys Hero's"

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Elime, what is the name of the movie that you posted, it wont show up for me, just a black square. I noticed a lot of the lend/lease vehicles in it which I thought was a good touch to make it into the movie. Phelonius, if you look at the Tiger tank more closer, I don't think that's its a Tiger at all, Most Tigers were destroyed During the War, so many movies have replica's of them built on Sherman and other tank chassis. This one looks like its on a T-34 or maybe an IS series tank because of how far forward the Turret looks in the side shots.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
In the early sixties there was a wrecked tiger in a training area outside of Munich. I based my opinion on what I remember of that one. As for other countries using them I know that at least one found its' way into the Israeli armed forces after the war.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
I saw one in Portola Valley at the world's largest or second largest private tank collection -- or more accurately a military vehicle collection. Four big barns with vehicles packed in as tightly as possible. And an engine exhibit with engines from different tanks. And a canon exhibit. And a lot more stuff. He even had a SCUD missile he bought from the Israelis.

He got his Tiger from the bottom of a river where it broke through the ice and sat there for several decades. He rebuilt it. Even had a new turret cast to Nazi Germany specs by a foundry in Pennsylvania (I think it was in Penn.) so it is as close to original as possible. (I've been thinking -- maybe it was a Panzer tank......it has been a while since I was there. He probably had at least one of each.)

The owner died and his heirs sold the collection so now it is spread out. Oh well, I feel very lucky having seen it once.

P5280546.JPG

P5280541.JPG
P5280545.JPG
P5280544.JPG
P5280500.JPG

·
Registered
214 Posts
Unless they changed things since about 10 years ago, there is a Tiger in the Museum of Armor at Fort Knox. It is set up in a diorama scene with mannikins wearing German uniforms. You can see into the tank through holes cut into it.
As I recall, it was a Tiger that was captured and sent along for dissection to see how thick the armor was in various spots...thus the cutouts.

That is an interesting place to spend some hours in...they have tanks from WWI also, plus a lot of Patton artifacts. Those bone handles pistols he wore, etc.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nevermind about the Fort Knox Armor Museum. I just googled it to see if they had a picture of the Tiger, and find the whole museum was relocated in 2010, a lot of it going to Ft. Benning GA., including the Tiger.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you look up "inside the chieftains hatch" on you tube he does a video of a lot of the tanks at Portola Valley. Their was a Panther their (or was) that I watched his show on that was cool. Admiral, I was hoping for that tank battle ending as well

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
One of the very neat things about Portola Valley was at the end of the tour, in the 4th barn, they let you climb all over and go into the tanks and other vehicles. By then I was so tired I couldn't take advantage of it the way I wanted to.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That would be too much fun. Mudbug would never get me out of their. Found a link to the Panther that they had

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Having driven an M1A1 Abrams in a past life long ago, the driver is "trapped" in the drivers compartment mostly unless you're a little fella who can squeeze out the drivers hatch. I couldn't unless the turret was in just the right position. While you feel very protected, there is another part of you knowing you are also very vulnerable. Plus, you have to have a "large mouth" bottle to piss in because you can't just climb out whenever you want to relieve yourself. You have to carefully time all of your bodily functions to coincide with being "outside" the tank. I would rather have climbed around on a tank in a museum!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts