TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All. After lurking for almost a year a figured it was time to post about my build which I started in March. First off I would like to thank every member on this site that has helped me by contributing their knowledge on the T Dub. It has helped quite a bit and I know where to go first with any questions. First I will give a little back story on why I went T Dub. I never thought I would ever buy a motorcycle. I was heavy into the Honda Ruckus Scooter scene and my well tuned little GET (50cc) engine pushed me to the high 50s and I was happy.
rolling.jpg surfaceblurfinal.jpg ruckperspecresize.jpg

One thing you will notice from each picture (besides stupidly not wearing the right gear which I now wear after seeing too many other riders go down) is that I'm tucking to get to that high 50 mark which I finally said "F this!" and decided to go the motorcycle route. I could have switched the reliable Honda engine to a Chinese GY6 but hey, it's a Chinese engine. Too many issues. I even waited for a Honda Grom to be available. While waiting, a friend of mine told me that I should buy a Yamaha TW200. He showed me a stock pic and then showed me pic of some more converted for street use. I wanted something unique and this was it. My interest grew and I was able to pick up a lightly used 1995 with 3000 miles on it for 1500.00
This is the first picture I took after a little dismantling.
20140202_161726.jpg

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
Oh you are going to raise the standards here! Nice scooter build. Let us know how your street TW evolves.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fred. I don't know about raising the standards. There have been some really nice hollow mod builds on here.

·
Registered
816 Posts
good buy. I loved my scooters too. I had the built gy6 and it would do 70, but it was never the same. For the record it had over 10k on it when I sold it to a friend and he still uses it every day. even with the 200cc kit it was really reliable. My avatar is that scooter of course. Before you rip it apart and make it something else, which is not a bad choice, put on a helmet and hit the trails!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was trying to keep this build as low in cost as possible. Keeping in mind that I just got my MC License and anticipated dropping the bike which thankfully I have not done yet. I preceded to start on the tank to achieve a raw look. I picked up some aircraft stripper and went to town.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good buy. I loved my scooters too. I had the built gy6 and it would do 70, but it was never the same. For the record it had over 10k on it when I sold it to a friend and he still uses it every day. even with the 200cc kit it was really reliable. My avatar is that scooter of course. Before you rip it apart and make it something else, which is not a bad choice, put on a helmet and hit the trails!
Nice. I have a few friends that have done GY6 swaps with zero issues, but the majority have had problems. I did do a little trail riding locally before transforming it completely. It's nice to see some scooter people on here. The T Dub has already been promoted to street use only unfortunately as you will see the progress in upcoming posts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here was a pic with the raw tank.

Next up was the carb. Even though the previous owner said they rebuilt it I wanted to make sure it was clean and not leaking. I upped the jet to a 120 main, did the needle shim mod and replaced the gasket. All info on how to was found on this site. "Easy peasy"

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Next up was painting the frame. I was not a fan of riding Papa Smurf's bike and wanted to go satin black. My scooter previously was powder coated. I decided to go with spray paint since I was learning to ride still and did not want to ruin the powder. I know powder is better but paint was more in my budget. I sanded and sprayed the frame with VHT satin wheel paint and to this day, with a little touch up here and there, the paint has held true.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I then proceeded to Change the front/rear sprocket, chain, tubes, and tires. The tires had dry rot and I wanted more comfortable cruising speeds. I also replaced the crankcase cover gasket since it was pretty brittle. So I installed a 47 tooth rear sprocket, Bridgestone tubes, Shinko 428 tires and a chain.

I also painted the forks to match the frame.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted to make the center "Hollow." After a series of failed attempts and the fact that I wanted to ride this thing I made some modifications to the factory box to utilize it for the battery and wiring only. It looks like crap but does the job and is mostly hidden by the seat and my legs. I then added a K&N air filter and crankcase breather. Changed the oil, oil filter, spark plug and rode her for a while. She is running and sounds sweet. I plan on measuring up and having someone fab up a box for me soon.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Your well on youre way to something unique and cool. kudos! Love your ruckus. This summer there was a fellow who rode his ruckus from virginia to alaska and back and got 12500 miles for only $550 worth of fuel. Here is a link to an advrider thread about him.

Touring on a Ruckus - Page 2 - ADVrider

One safety note I wanted to add about the paint stripper: Its sort of obvious but different kinds of stripper can totally fooking destroy your skin if contacted by that stuff. It dissolves the lipids out of your skin and then every time your skin gets wet in the shower or bath your skin can just start sloughing off. It can last for months or even a year. Also longer term occupational exposure causes some pretty terrifying neurological conditions. A good pair of rubber gloves is super worthwhile. Stay safe!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Wow, you are quick!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hi dude: Just keep it up and really looking forward to the final product. Your mechanical skills are very obvious. A geek? Only maybe how you study to do things. Awesome stuff! And I really like your choices so far.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your well on youre way to something unique and cool. kudos! Love your ruckus. This summer there was a fellow who rode his ruckus from virginia to alaska and back and got 12500 miles for only $550 worth of fuel. Here is a link to an advrider thread about him.

Touring on a Ruckus - Page 2 - ADVrider

One safety note I wanted to add about the paint stripper: Its sort of obvious but different kinds of stripper can totally fooking destroy your skin if contacted by that stuff. It dissolves the lipids out of your skin and then every time your skin gets wet in the shower or bath your skin can just start sloughing off. It can last for months or even a year. Also longer term occupational exposure causes some pretty terrifying neurological conditions. A good pair of rubber gloves is super worthwhile. Stay safe!
Thanks for the Warning Tiny

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi dude: Just keep it up and really looking forward to the final product. Your mechanical skills are very obvious. A geek? Only maybe how you study to do things. Awesome stuff! And I really like your choices so far.
Thanks dogonit

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I was not happy with the worn condition or color of the seat. I could have replaced it with the same type of cover but instead had one made up with pleats. I found a seller on Ebay that made custom seat covers for cheap. His user name is mac32756. I ordered a yard of cheap pleather off of Amazon for 9.00 shipped, sent the material to Mac and this is the result. Mac charged me 40.00 shipped and made two seat covers out of the material. I gave the other to a fellow local T dubber. I plan on going with a darker color very soon.

I also ordered a pair of Oury bicycle grips off of Amazon for 12.99 to match the seat.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After awhile I got anxious to ride. I fabbed up a splashguard out of sheet metal and bought a cheap tail light and some bullet blinkers to add to the look. I also scored a low cost 7 inch H4 round headlight and swapped the bulb out for one of my old Ruckus H4 35 watt bulbs. Fabbed up a Home Depot special fender eliminator for the tail light and started riding.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts