TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1st try at riding the TW with a snowmobile ski attached to the front tire.

My experiment is to see if it's feasible to travel with the ski and have the ability to take it on and off while out riding.

Got 10-14 inches of new snow. 14" set a Boise record for the day. I haven't seen it snow this much here in 22 plus years. This is on top of the foot or so of snow we already had on the ground.

Trying to steer was like trying to pry a spawning Salmon out of a Grizzle Bears paws.

Maybe steering is better going faster.

On a positive note, tire chains on the rear tire worked really good!

Here's some threads which has some good front and rear chain ideas. I tried front chains but they didn't work well for me. Maybe they will for you.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/3566-who-needs-snowmobile.html

http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/3546-tire-chain-testing-now-all-i-need-snow.html

http://tw200forum.com/forum/test-forum/5710-tw200-winter-mod-bad-isnt-cheaper.html

http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/10017-tw200-so-how-do-they-do-deep-snow-3.html

http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/12081-who-rides-year-round-3.html

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mighty impressive Sir!
Admiral's video's surely are the best!
Best videos, not so much. Silly sometimes for sure. I thoroughly enjoy yours and the area's you cover as well as Wa. Larry's for his narration. Narration adds a lot and typical of my videos, this ski video is nearly done without any useful comments. If I had, maybe the comments would have added some value. I will say riding in the snow is fun...when you have too! I'd much prefer a good trail out in the desert or mountains.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Very cool. Was wondering why night time, but guess you need something to do. Nice looking snow.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very cool. Was wondering why night time, but guess you need something to do. Nice looking snow.
It's dark out by the time I get home from work this time of year! Besides, riding at night one can think I'm riding through a forest when in fact there ain't many trees around other than what we planted!:D

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Nifty setup :icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft: You seemed quite cautious testing it out. Do you feel like it's something you would recommend and enjoy riding on long adventures?

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nifty setup :icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft: You seemed quite cautious testing it out. Do you feel like it's something you would recommend and enjoy and riding on long adventures?
Too early for a positive recommend. The steering was quite difficult and I don't know if it's something I would have to get used to or not. Next time out I'll pick up the speed and see how the steering is. Could be I'm used to motorcycling steering and this is how it would feel or could be an inherent problem of strapping on a ski to a tire. Mrgizmo tried a ski out but I can't remember his thoughts.

As hard as it was to steer, I will have to say the ski did not want to wash out sideways like the tire would have. I could plod straight ahead pretty easy. Turns are the problem. ...and draging it across the cement floor of the shop. For some reason the ski doesn't want to slide on the floor very easy. lol

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Maybe dual skis one on either side of the tire. They would need to articlate so that when you turn the edges bite in and provide more float in deeper snow.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
You could also wheelie turn and next you'll be adding a rear track.

42b00dce1389bee1aa14db614ccd202c.jpg

·
Registered
545 Posts
1st try at riding the TW with a snowmobile ski attached to the front tire.

My experiment is to see if it's feasible to travel with the ski and have the ability to take it on and off while out riding.
I know this is off topic here but did I spy an early '70's MG Midget in the garage? Loved the video by the way..... :D

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know this is off topic here but did I spy an early '70's MG Midget in the garage? Loved the video by the way..... :D
You did spy that correctly. My Dad gave it to me and Mrs. Admiral and I went and picked it up this past September. Only a few short romps around the neighborhood here before the temperatures got to cold for "top down" driving. Have a top, too lazy to put it on. Tarp is pulled back so Georgie has a place to lay down when I'm working in the shop. I put an old sleeping bag across the seats for her to lay on. The Midget is going to be fun this summer! :D

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Love this!

I have been thinking about trying out a plastic front ski with carbides .... mounted using a "timbersled" style mount on my TW.

The heavy steering is probably due to the weight of the front wheel and the lack of gyroscopic rotation to assist in turning that weight.

So I rode it again last night after work. I will not recommend this mod with this type of snowmobile ski. I think I'm experiencing exactly what you (Heli_Mech) are mentioning with the weight of the front end. This is the conclusion I came to last night after a few passes up and down the Jackass Gulch Motorcycle Proving Grounds.

The front end seemed to want to dig in when going forward and not "float" on top. I did do much better going around the corners but I think this was because of practice and I was getting better at it. A couple of times at slow speed, I did experience the ski wanting to slide or washout when I was turning. I think this is because there is a rod or runner going down the length of the ski as a ski saver and when I turn (lean) the ski runner loses contact with the snow. The runner can be removed but because of how the ski is constructed I think it would now just slide all the time in a turn.

However, the biggest problem I had was going forward this time. Every now and then something would catch or drag the ski and it would jerk me towards the bank or ditch. Did this a few times so I'm terming this as "unstable".

I will try this ski one more time AFTER I REMOVE the center runner just to see what this does. In the end, though, I think the front end of the TW is too heavy for this mod. I tried leaning back like you would when riding in sand but in the non-powder packed down snow condition this just made the front end wonder.

I'm not sure what you mean by "carbides" on the plastic front ski. I understand the carbides would protect the plastic ski, just not know what that looks like.

If I really had the itch, I've seen a few Timbersleds for sale on the local craigslist though they are way out of my price range.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Would a longer ski in front help? I'd think it would do something. Better or worse, I don't know, but it should change something of what it is doing now...Still a very worthy experiment and I thank you for trying it. I've been curious since you first showed your ski in the shop...
So I rode it again last night after work. I will not recommend this mod with this type of snowmobile ski. I think I'm experiencing exactly what you (Heli_Mech) are mentioning with the weight of the front end. This is the conclusion I came to last night after a few passes up and down the Jackass Gulch Motorcycle Proving Grounds.

The front end seemed to want to dig in when going forward and not "float" on top. I did do much better going around the corners but I think this was because of practice and I was getting better at it. A couple of times at slow speed, I did experience the ski wanting to slide or washout when I was turning. I think this is because there is a rod or runner going down the length of the ski as a ski saver and when I turn (lean) the ski runner loses contact with the snow. The runner can be removed but because of how the ski is constructed I think it would now just slide all the time in a turn.

However, the biggest problem I had was going forward this time. Every now and then something would catch or drag the ski and it would jerk me towards the bank or ditch. Did this a few times so I'm terming this as "unstable".

I will try this ski one more time AFTER I REMOVE the center runner just to see what this does. In the end, though, I think the front end of the TW is too heavy for this mod. I tried leaning back like you would when riding in sand but in the non-powder packed down snow condition this just made the front end wonder.

I'm not sure what you mean by "carbides" on the plastic front ski. I understand the carbides would protect the plastic ski, just not know what that looks like.

If I really had the itch, I've seen a few Timbersleds for sale on the local craigslist though they are way out of my price range.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Perhaps the ski should extend more in front of the front tire's axle; with even a bit of bungie pre-load pulling tip of ski upwards to counteract tendency of ski to submarine rather than float.You want the ski tip to always want to point a bit skyward. Change the geometry if practical before cutting away the center directional runner. Put center of lift in front of where tire contacts ski.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Perhaps the ski should extend more in front of the front tire's axle; with even a bit of bungie pre-load pulling tip of ski upwards to counteract tendency of ski to submarine rather than float.You want the ski tip to always want to point a bit skyward. Change the geometry if practical before cutting away the center directional runner. Put center of lift in front of where tire contacts ski.
The center runner is bolted on oddly enough so I can put it back on if need be. Time permitting I'll experiment with the idea you're mentioning and try the ski moved further forward. Worth a try...Man's Prayer from The Red Green Show; I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess! I have a backup plan just in case the prayer doesn't work; Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead)!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts