TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the XT from Mtn. Yawp because our daughters expressed an interest in riding but they thought the TW was to tall and heavy. In comes the XT at around 216 pounds compared to 278 + for the TW.

Has a carb related problem (most likely) as the CDI had already been replaced. Right now it needs the front fork seals replaced, carb work, headlight and other electrical lights repair. Stop light works and so does the right side turn signals so it's not all bad. Found some bird seed in the airbox some varment cong has been storing for winter.

Took it to Moose Creek for a familiarization ride few weeks ago.

This week I started working on the carb issue

The XT is running rich, I'm pretty sure by the symptoms, and sparkplug colors/condition. And with some advice and help from elime, I've got the carb problem almost solved. Not quite but almost. The XT had been modified with a Super Trap exhaust, which was a common mod for the XT and I'm assuming it was re-jetted for this reason. I couldn't read all the numbers on the jet which cam in the carb but it was much larger than the 122 which is stock for an XT.

Old jet is bottom and one of the jets I experimented with, a 122. As you can see the old jet is much larger than a 122.

Success mostly. I started out with a 128 jet, then 125, 122 and none of this worked. Actually, ran worse. Last night I tried a 118 and the old XT started coming around but it wasn't curred yet. Just glad I got a positive sign and that I was going in the right direction. Next I tried a 115 and boy howdy I'm very very close to dialing this XT carb in. Only a slight hesitation/stumble/flat spot about mid throttle in every gear. With all of the jets I tried before this it would almost puke it was stumbling so bad with sometimes just the slightest throttle imput.

Throttle response is pretty crisp and I can get up to speed pretty quickly. Still need to fine tune it but knowing I'm very close makes me feel good. I did say this motorcycle was for the girls right? haha I'm so funny.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
We used to fine tune the air/fuel mix for 2-strokes with SuperTrapps by varying the number of diffuser discs installed. Does this work for 4-strokes too? Decrease number of discs and mix gets leaner, exhaust more quiet and meat of power band shifts to lower r.p.m.

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you should pull up to the local Harley bar and do the "We're bad walk"!
Hilarious!

or

"you should pull up to a group of KTM riders". Yep, I'm bad! Hopefully, they won't see just how bad I can be...of a rider. :p

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We used to fine tune the air/fuel mix for 2-strokes with SuperTrapps by varying the number of diffuser discs installed. Does this work for 4-strokes too? Decrease number of discs and mix gets leaner, exhaust more quiet and meat of power band shifts to lower r.p.m.

I've never dealt with a SuperTrapp but it does have a bunch of disks. It is quieter than the TW for sure.

I now have a lot of experience in changing a jet on an XT carb. If I had to change jets on the trail, it would only take me a couple minutes. Don't have to remove anything just twist the carb over and show me its bottom side. Has to be quicker than changing the disks in the muffler.

Speaking of the muffler. On our last camp/ride up near Crouch, ID (The Smoke Signal thread) a forest service person stopped by our camp and check our TW's to make sure they had a muffler and off-road sticker.

Of course, they are supposed to make sure the muffler has a spark arrestor and not just "a muffler". Plus, we only need off-road stickers for trails not forest service roads. I assume she, the forest service employee, thought our TW's were dirt bikes and not street legal dual-sport motorcycles.

I didn't give her any shit for it and when she departed she thanked us for being so nice. I'm guessing her reception at other campsites isn't as friendly.

Oh, and she just loved Mrs. Admiral's Pink TW and the Wilbrr license plate. She was giggling and telling her fellow worker of the pink TW as they drove off.

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
My understanding of the “reflection” in exhausts is primarily with two strokes, but I believe that is also has a (limited) impact on four strokes as well

Unless they’re spring loaded discs, I can’t see that in Admirals case this would affect the mid-range response

Might well be a stray rodent in there …… ;)

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While I'm waiting for more Jets to arrive from the elime Jet Bank, I went for a longer ride with the 115. It's still not quite right and I know that but it's fun to ride. Well, maybe it's fun to ride something different.

On the way home I pass some rodeo horse stock in the pasture eating what horses eat

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've been forking around on the XT to get it street and trail worthy.

Replaced the leaking fork seals.

Old seal with the retainer clip and dust cover removed. (XT doesn't have dust boots but I'm gonna put some on later).

The XT spring is longer than the stock TW spring I took out and replaced with a Procycle spring on my TW.

Here's a picture (left) of the Procycle spring I put in the TW. The XT spring looks different at each end. Progressive spring maybe? Doesn't matter to me cause I'm putting the XT spring back in anyway.

Was able to use my homemade damper rod holder I used on the TW. Score!

Damper rod holder doubled as a fork cap screw tool as well. Double arm pump!

Removed some of the surface rust on the fork where it's secured in the lower triple tree

Time for a test now.

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
XT200 Quality Control (QC) test out at the Back 40 Proving Grounds.

After replacing the leaking fork seals, rear tire (to a trials type tire), and re-jetting the carb for the umpteenth time, I took the XT out for it's longest ride since I've owned it. I finally got the carb real close to where it needs to be I think. The engine pulled real good up the dirt and sand hills. Didn't stall once. I also went up through the gears with no noticeable carb hiccup. I think it's ready for an all-day test now! :)

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Sounding pretty good too!!
XT200 Quality Control (QC) test out at the Back 40 Proving Grounds.

After replacing the leaking fork seals, rear tire (to a trials type tire), and re-jetting the carb for the umpteenth time, I took the XT out for it's longest ride since I've owned it. I finally got the carb real close to where it needs to be I think. The engine pulled real good up the dirt and sand hills. Didn't stall once. I also went up through the gears with no noticeable carb hiccup. I think it's ready for an all-day test now! :)

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounding pretty good too!!
Because of the XT's age and aftermarket exhaust, getting the jetting right has been a test of patience as only the process of re-jetting is the same as TW's. Elime has given me a lot of advice and all the jets, which I really appreciate.

Up until today, I had settled with a 40 pilot (stock) and 110 main (stock is 124) but after the last ride, (several rides after my last video going up the sand hills) it didn't sound quite right. So, yesterday I changed to a 108 main. No hesitation what-so-ever. I'll still keep an eye on the plug after each ride to make sure I'm not going to lean but thus far there haven't been any lean signs or symptoms.

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two Track'in After Work in the Back 40

(All characters and events in this video, even those based on real people are entirely fictional. All inner voices are in your head and impersonated by you...poorly. The following video contains coarse language and due to its content, it should not be viewed by anyone, especially at work. Doing so, you may become violently ill which will cause you to leave work early and want to go home and ride. Wink Wink! :)

Just imagine yourself on an after work ride through the woods. You're gonna have to imagine it because there ain't no woods in the Back 40.

Well, there is woods if you take into consideration the wooden fence posts and electrical power poles in the background.

Gotta watch out for the badger holes on the Two-Track. Gotta watch out for cow patties on the single track. Well, cow single track that is!

As Paul Harvey would say, "and that's the rest of the story...good day"!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
way to go...motor sounds good. how did the new back tire work out for you in the sand? was there any difference in front shock performance after your clean up and reseal?

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
way to go...motor sounds good. how did the new back tire work out for you in the sand? was there any difference in front shock performance after your clean up and reseal?

Back tire is great compared to the old worn out knobby. I can actually use the rear brake now as before it would just slide on dirt or gravel surface. I didn't ride in the sand with the old tire, or at least not deeper sand like the sand hills. I thought it did fine in the sand, not just the tire but the XT as a whole. Someday I may take it out to the Weiser Sand Dunes along the Snake River and try it in the sand out there. Then I will be able to compare how it does in deep sand versus the TW for my riding style.

My thought is the TW will do better but maybe skinny tires work better. I don't have personal experience riding in deep sand with a skinny tire bike, just the TW so the jury is out on that matter. We keep hearing people say the TW should do better on sand than a skinny tire bike but this may just be wishful thinking theory. Eckhart should know for sure since he's ridden the TW and other skinny tire bikes at Moab and the Sand Dunes on the Oregon coast. Eckhart, can you tell us?

One fork was almost completely empty of fork oil and the other had more but I didn't measure the old stuff. Replacing the seals and oil stiffened the front suspension like it's supposed to be. The springs are different than the TW but I won't really know if they will bottom out like the stock TW springs did unless I go to Moab or a place like that. Moab was the only place I'd been where bottoming out on the big drop off's was common until I beefed up the suspension.

Now that the front is fixed, the rear suspension feels weak. Think spring like you mentioned on the newer XT250 you have. This winter I'm gonna remove the XT shock/spring and see if either an old stock TW shock I have (was replaced by procycle stiffer shock) or if the stock TW shock/spring will work/fit on the XT. For now, the front feels great but the back seems squashed down all the time, as yes, I'm sure "I" have something to do with the squashedness haha!

I did a fuel mileage test with the XT last week when I had the 110 main jet still in and it was 50 mpg. Our TW's get mid 60 mpg when I'm riding mostly highway and 70-80 mpg on trails/forest service road so fuel mileage is a concern. XT has 2.1-gallon stock tank versus 1.8 or 1.9 for the stock TW gas tank. I'm gonna see if the XT225 Serow gas tank at 2.3 gallons will fit on the XT200. If it does it's not the slightly larger tank but that I can fit a tank bag on it, the ones which hang over. The XT tank is too small in size for the tank bags I have. The reason is I have carried extra fuel in a 1-liter bottle for spare just in case. I don't want to put a cycle rack type rack on just to carry extra fuel if the fuel mileage doesn't improve but am looking to see if I can fabricate a small rack on the back for the fuel.

I'm hoping my fuel mileage increases with the 108 main jet I put in yesterday. Engine ran better so I hope so. There must be a big difference in how mileage is with the old XT carb versus any of the TW carbs. We know with either of the TW carbs the TW would get good fuel mileage with a properly tuned TW. I should try and find out what the mileage was estimated at for a new XT200 back in the day.

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
Dude — your workshop is showing a tendency towards pink, which is kinda worrying

It starts with rattle cans, then creeps onto hammers (shudder), until you find yourself with an XT200 — with a pink seat ?

Now don’t get me wrong, the XT200 is a good project bike, and I certainly wouldn’t want to get in the way of one of Lori’s “throat punches” — but have you ever considered the traumatic effect all this “pink” is having on others ? — It’s getting so we need sunglasses …..

In my opinion, one of the most underrated colours is purple (funnily enough) — all it takes is “Hunny, I honestly thought it was pink paint” to give “someone” a chance to acclimatise to it. You can also use the “Cadbury” excuse — “But Hunny, I thought you liked chocolate” — ease her into it slowly, there are many shades of purple, so you may want to start out gently

I fully understand the need for a full face helmet (and probably body armour) during this transition period, but it’ll be worth it in the end

She’s reading this isn’t she clipart-of-a-happy-moon-mascot-cartoon-character-peeking-over-a-surface-by-toons4biz-171.jpg

I’m going to hide for a while ……

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dude — your workshop is showing a tendency towards pink, which is kinda worrying

It starts with rattle cans, then creeps onto hammers (shudder), until you find yourself with an XT200 — with a pink seat ?

Now don’t get me wrong, the XT200 is a good project bike, and I certainly wouldn’t want to get in the way of one of Lori’s “throat punches” — but have you ever considered the traumatic effect all this “pink” is having on others ? — It’s getting so we need sunglasses …..

In my opinion, one of the most underrated colours is purple (funnily enough) — all it takes is “Hunny, I honestly thought it was pink paint” to give “someone” a chance to acclimatise to it. You can also use the “Cadbury” excuse — “But Hunny, I thought you liked chocolate” — ease her into it slowly, there are many shades of purple, so you may want to start out gently

I fully understand the need for a full face helmet (and probably body armour) during this transition period, but it’ll be worth it in the end

She’s reading this isn’t she View attachment 135905

I’m going to hide for a while ……

Yes, she reads this. It might take her a while cause she's at Throat Punch Sniper School so you're safe for now. Nevermind, no you're not. :p

I'm sure the XT seat started out Purple before it faded to Pink fpalm.gif

...and after all the XT is for the girls. That's why I'm gonna paint it Tan or Brown with a black seat.
Muttley (163x160).jpg

1 - 20 of 91 Posts