TW200 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
admiral,your bike looks and sounds great. is that an xt350 tank too?what happened to the badger? looked pretty open and minimal traffic for it to be road kill....ride on!joe bandps: interesting videos come up as your youtube channel....
Running well for sure. Yes, it is a Clarke XT350 gas tank. I've had it on my TW but put the XT225 tank on for Moab last March and just never got around to putting the 350 back on my TW. Then I got the XT200. The best fuel mileage I've gotten with it so far is 55 mpg compared to the 70 and above depending on driving/gearing on my TW. To extend the range I put on the 4 gal XT350 to make sure I don't run out.

The badger's peril. Found the badger out in the middle of the BLM behind our place. My guess is it was shot but I don't know for sure. I saw a spot at the back of its head that looked like it could have been a wound but I can't really say it was a gunshot wound or from a fight with another badger, coyote, or fox. All I know for sure is it was dead.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Nice resurrection so far. New seat cover looks better than the faded pink in my opinion, although if re-done in the badger fur it might make for an interesting fashion statement.
The headlight remains an enigma from the few photos seen so far.
I had a discarded stock TW foam and seat cover when I swapped them out for a Seats Concept seat. I used the XT200's seat pan but had to reshape the TW foam by removing some of the foam at the back of the seat due to the shape of the XT's seat pan. It needs more padding so I may just put on a Maddog/Colemen seat pad. The headlight is an enigma. I have to find a headlight where I can replace the bulb only like the TW. I might just try my 2005 head light just to see if the bulb I bought would work. Being a 6 volt system adds a little difficulty to the replacement bulb finding. I have found all the 6v bulbs and have them on hand. Had to order online as I couldn't find a local parts store with 6-volt bulbs. Online was no problem except for getting the whole headlight bulb housing. The local motorcycle junkyard had an old XT but this was a couple years ago and I didn't really pay attention to what parts were on it. I could just do what mountain yawp did and tape a flashlight on. If I did it this way I would upgrade and use a wearable headlamp and secure it on the XT's headlight housing.:p

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Are you really going to give that to your daughter ?
Forgot this question. They are in college too far away to ride, plus they don't have much time between school and working. We'll take it with us for the girls on camping trips they join us on so they can continue to learn how to ride. In the mean time, I'll continue to exercise it occasionally to keep it in good working order. :icon_pirat:

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
A six volt system sure can be irritating. Fortunately since modern LEDs run just fine on voltages from 4 to usually 40 volts a LED based headlight should deliver lots of reliable light @ 6 volts. A H4 LED bulb in any salvaged suitable reflector might be a good solution with possibly far more illumination than stock. Or simply replace old light housing with self contained LED plus reflector light pod or pods.

What doesn’t work, which admiral probably knows all to well, is a 12 volt incandescant bulb powered by only 6 volts. In South America I used to see older 6v VW Beetles whose replacement 12v headlight bulbs would only produce a feeble yellow glow.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
A six volt system sure can be irritating. Fortunately since modern LEDs run just fine on voltages from 4 to usually 40 volts a LED based headlight should deliver lots of reliable light @ 6 volts. A H4 LED bulb in any salvaged suitable reflector might be a good solution with possibly far more illumination than stock. Or simply replace old light housing with self contained LED plus reflector light pod or pods.

What doesn’t work, which admiral probably knows all to well, is a 12 volt incandescant bulb powered by only 6 volts. In South America I used to see older 6v VW Beetles whose replacement 12v headlight bulbs would only produce a feeble yellow glow.
Ha, I did buy some LED turn signal bulbs but I haven't put them in yet. I was thinking they would be bright enough for a 6v system. I think I do have 6v replacement incandencent bulbs in the turn signals and taillight now.

The plastic headlight housing it there but not the bulb. I have a replacement 6v plug in headlight just need the bulb housing.

I did have one other thought and that was to steal the electrical system wiring off my old TW and replace the XT's wiring. I would also have to take the stator and other electroncis and put them on the XT as well. Not impossible but I'm still mulling over getting the old TW back in running condition so I'm trying not to rob all the parts off of it. I'd better hurry.:p

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
I would try not to cannibalize the older TW if some jury rigged solution to the XT is available. Go for a quick fix so you can then go for a quick ride.:D

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Ha, I did buy some LED turn signal bulbs but I haven't put them in yet. I was thinking they would be bright enough for a 6v system. I think I do have 6v replacement incandencent bulbs in the turn signals and taillight now.

The plastic headlight housing it there but not the bulb. I have a replacement 6v plug in headlight just need the bulb housing.

I did have one other thought and that was to steal the electrical system wiring off my old TW and replace the XT's wiring. I would also have to take the stator and other electroncis and put them on the XT as well. Not impossible but I'm still mulling over getting the old TW back in running condition so I'm trying not to rob all the parts off of it. I'd better hurry.:p
after doing a lot of experimenting with led bulbs on my 6 volt Honda ct 90 and 110, I found very few 12 volt led bulbs would work. it was even hit and miss with a group of bulbs all ordered at the same time

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
after doing a lot of experimenting with led bulbs on my 6 volt Honda ct 90 and 110, I found very few 12 volt led bulbs would work. it was even hit and miss with the a group of bulbs all ordered at the same time
I have a 12v incandescent taillight/brake light bulb in right now and it works but is much dimmer than it should be but I won't be riding it out on the highway. I'll change it one day soon but it's been too cold, too dark, and I'm too lazy to work on the bikes right now since I get home after dark. I did ride the TW to the in-law's house on Sunday, and you know that ain't far and the XT to the mailbox last night. That's been it for riding the since Veterans Day.

·
Super Moderator
17,941 Posts

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Interesting AGman. I was wondering about the stator myself and then you brought up a couple other components (IG and CDI). If the tech guys were competent back in the day one would think they would've mentioned changing these components as well. I'll do more www searching. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The TW's are still parked and haven't moved since unloading them after the San Rafael Swell trip. I have ridden the Bee though to get a TW fix...up to the mailbox and back a couple times.

However, last week I got in a 2 hour ride on the XT. First time the XT had been ridden in a month or so. Pleasant enough day for a ride it was.

Yesterday I was gonna go on a mailbox run and when I was kicking over the XT I hear some noise down by my feeters. Discovered the right footpeg/rear brake foot lever mounting bolt had broken. There was an indication of rust so I'm guessing this was broken before last weekend and I just now noticed it. Now I've got to get pops-in-law involved with the welder. Sorry for the blurry photo, something happened to the close in focus of my iPhone camera.

This item attaches to the area just behind the engine down on the lower part of the frame. I'll have to go look at the TW's now to see if they're set up the same way and are serviceable.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
How have you removed from the fork? It really looks like new!

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand your question. I did have to remove the forks from the triple tree to replace the seals as well as take the forks apart.

Up close the XT doesn't look that new but it's still in fair condition. I did power wash the front and rear fender making them look white again. This may account for the "looks new" condition. :D

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
The XT is looking nicely rejuvenated these days. Well done. Time to go get it dirty again.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Eckhart, is this manly looking enough now? :p No more skinny "sissy" looking trials tire now.

Synonyms for Manly Tires. :D
(brave, courageous, bold, valiant, valorous, fearless, plucky, macho, manful, intrepid, daring, heroic, lionhearted, gallant, chivalrous, swashbuckling, adventurous, stouthearted, dauntless, doughty, resolute, determined, stalwart;

It's a "Tractionator", Motoz Desert H/T Tractionator. Back end wiggles more with this tire on than the trials tire. But it looks mean as hell. Meanness counts right?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I like it (also tried the like button). You will love that tire in sand and mud:p
Now you just need to get matching "Manly" tire for the front and then a more "Manly" bike to go with "Manly" tires.:rolleyes:

41 - 60 of 94 Posts