TW200 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I like it (also tried the like button). You will love that tire in sand and mud:p
Now you just need to get matching "Manly" tire for the front and then a more "Manly" bike to go with "Manly" tires.:rolleyes:

My new like button. :icon_thumleft:

New manly front tire next. This 244 or 270 does wash out more than I'd like. BTW, I think the TW is manly!:D

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
What size tractionator did you put on? and are you bringing the xt to the Oregon ride along with the MANLY TW?

FYI, I have the Motoz mountain hybrid on the front of the DT.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
holy crap, what a tire!! i was looking at those for my DR, but it seems there is a problem getting them in Canuckland:):)

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
What size tractionator did you put on? and are you bringing the xt to the Oregon ride along with the MANLY TW?

FYI, I have the Motoz mountain hybrid on the front of the DT.
Yep, bringing it. 130/80x17. Hard to find tires for a 17 inch rim.

Riding the XT at the Wallawa Jamboree this Saturday with Moutain Yawp, Wa Larry and Sidekick Chad. Sounds like it will be wet.

Having issues with my TW. Couple weeks ago the engine died/stalled when I came to a stop. The next day and follow-on weekend no problems, ran like a champ. Last weekend it died/stalled on me again just like before.

I checked for loose wires and kickstand safety. Still died on test ride. Then I swapped out CDI (from old TW) and it did the same thing. Dies after riding it 20-30 minutes in. Hard to fire back up most of the time. Got it started once quickly but when I gave it gas it died right away. Fine up to that point.

I haven't had a ton of time to try and diagnose the problem but the Carb is off now.A qQuick look last night showed all jets clear and clean but will check more thoroughly tonight. Getting PRPLEBE TW prepped just in case for the N.E. Oregon ride.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I had a Beta trials bike that once it got hot the coil would short and the bike would die. Had to wait 20 minutes and then it would start again, but with the TW having a battery, that should not be the case.
Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Strange issue. Sounds like when the engine gets warm something shorts/grounds out or looses connection. Like heat expansion is exaggerating a fail point. Then once it cools enough it will run till it heats up again.

Come to think of it I think this is more likely. There's something wrong with your choke. I've seen it happen with faulty Chinese carbs. They only work with the choke on and then stall when idle. And then once the engines warmed up they only run with the choke on and stall even worse. The fail point makes it so it runs better cold.

I'm rooting for ya.

In the meantime maybe Mrs. Admiral will be willing to double you her "manly" TW. lol

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I had a Beta trials bike that once it got hot the coil would short and the bike would die. Had to wait 20 minutes and then it would start again, but with the TW having a battery, that should not be the case.
Hope you get it figured out.

Yeah, I was gonna swap the coil off the old TW next. That's an easy quick swap so I'm guessing I won't get off that easy and the coil won't be the problem. Gosh, glass more than half empty on that last sentence eh? :p

I'm consulting the TW maintenance manual for troubleshooting now, well, not at work but soon.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Strange issue. Sounds like when the engine gets warm something shorts/grounds out or looses connection. Like heat expansion is exaggerating a fail point. Then once it cools enough it will run till it heats up again.

Come to think of it I think this is more likely. There's something wrong with your choke. I've seen it happen with faulty Chinese carbs. They only work with the choke on and then stall when idle. And then once the engines warmed up they only run with the choke on and stall even worse. The fail point makes it so it runs better cold.

I'm rooting for ya.

In the meantime maybe Mrs. Admiral will be willing to double you her "manly" TW. lol
The way it's acting I can't rule out electrical nor carb. I suspect electrical more than carb but I do have the carb apart so it's not ignored. The one time I pulled the choke when it was running it stalled the engine. We'll see. I hope it's the coil.

I did mention taking Wilbur to the Jamboree this Saturday instead of PRPLBE (formerly the Mr. Bracket TW) but only cause I haven't put a license plate on the Bee yet. Got the personalized plate applied for but not approved yet. Of course, I'm not above slipping the Scoob plate on the Bee for one day either. TW not in big danger of being pulled over. However, XT will be my primary unless the coil is the fix on Scoob.

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Wouldn't an electrical gremlin sound like "BAAAaaaaaaa" while a fuel starvation from a clogged vent go "BRRrrrrrrrrrrr"?
This technical jargon sure is diagnostic

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Wouldn't an electrical gremlin sound like "BAAAaaaaaaa" while a fuel starvation from a clogged vent go "BRRrrrrrrrrrrr"?
This technical jargon sure is diagnostic

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
I think the noise Scoob is making now is...yup, silence. In the end I only brought the XT200 with me to Enterprise. Had a very nice dinner tonight with WA Larrry, Sidekick Chad and Mountain Yawp and family. Hopefully the weather stays good enough as we all are riding to Dug Bar on the Snake River tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
poor thing is soooo skinny... is it sick, or did it just wither away over winter?

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
The shaft on the SuperTrapp muffler looks long enough to install another dozen diffuser discs. The shaft could be trimmed about 2 inches to reduce chance of a puncture injury or just grease stains on your pants from getting too close.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Maybe parasites, hormonal issues?
Poor baby should be in bed with milkshakes
The milkshakes before bed are for me! The XT is just gonna have to buck up and take it like a Yamaha and do without the milkshakes. That reminds me, I should check the oil before the next ride! :D

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
The shaft on the SuperTrapp muffler looks long enough to install another dozen diffuser discs. The shaft could be trimmed about 2 inches to reduce chance of a puncture injury or just grease stains on your pants from getting too close.
They say you can "tune" the engine by removing or adding the disks. I don't have any extra but last spring I removed a couple of disks to see how it ran. I put them back on shortly after due to engine stumble. It runs reasonably well right now so I ain't gonna mess with it...I don't think. The float started letting fuel pass through the float overflow tube late last year. I adjusted it before riding it this year. No leaky now. I did put in a new sparkplug. The misadjusted float last year allowing to much fuel in the float bowl was apparently causing a "rich" condition. I experienced this with my first TW when an o-ring was bad in that carb. Been keeping an eye on the sparkplug now. Kind of showed it was too lean but after this last ride, it's showing some signs of being normal (tan). It's not tan yet but it's not white like it was after the first couple of jaunts down the trail.

Long live the internal combustion engine (or electric when they get better). Let me live longer! :p

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Want extra discs? Bring to MOAB?
Used to tune the 2-smokers varying the number of discs. More discs = more noise = more low end.......fewer discs = peakier power = lean = good for high elevations
Do not know how to tune 4-strokes with the Supertrapp but your threaded shaft looks unnecessarily long.

·
Registered
552 Posts
poor thing is soooo skinny... is it sick, or did it just wither away over winter?
If the xt has any health issue, they are definitely caused by its previous owner. Admiral is too nice to throw me under the bus, but that bike was more neglected than I realized when I sold it to him. Luckily he is good at bike rehab. He has done a great job and I smile every time I see him riding it.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Do not know how to tune 4-strokes with the Supertrapp but your threaded shaft looks unnecessarily long.
oh fred.... TMI.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts