TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Base model: 1999 Yamaha TW-200

Like the risen dead from the graves, this little unit had seen some time decaying in the dirt when it first came into my hands. Still, it started with ease and ran without much complaint, so when winter 2010/11 set upon us it was time to perform a post mortem and see what type of life I could breathe back into this thing.

Stripping down a bike into its most basics components is always fun for me, even with it being the messiest part of the process. Chiseling through decades of mud, oil, grease, and farm goop is often revealing as to what potential the corpse may still hold…or how big of a bank account you are going to need.

Removal of the engine case/drive sprocket housing was quite interesting, since it showed signs of damage from the inside coming out. Like the lipless rictus orifice of a long dead corpse the well worn nubs of the 10 tooth sprocket grinned back at me. Well, it was supposed to be a 14 tooth, but 4 were completely gone and the others so hooked or worn down it was amazing the bike ever made forward progress…

Thus began the 5 month long process of a complete frame up restoration; all seals, gaskets, bushings, cables and other wear items that needed replacement got it, though much of it just needed to be well cleaned and refurbished. In honor of the hammering this bike had taken, the frame, swing arm, and fork legs got a fresh coat of ‘Hammertone Silver’ frame paint.

Every square inch of this bike, save for the motor internals themselves which seem solid, received attention. What follows is the comprehensive list of work as well as I can remember over the months with having many distractions.

Fork seals and fluid- 1” SS internal fork spacer made for added preload.

Modified/beefed up stock skid plate with integrated SS case guards.

Air filter box removal, K&N crankcase breather.

K&N pod air filter.

Upsized main jet/shimmed needle.

Custom Alum. battery holder.

Kickstand switch removal/jumper.

Custom Dynamics LED turn/tail/brake combo lights, front and rear, flasher relay.

Gutted stock exhaust with custom spark arrestor and tip.

Quick release seat pins.

Stearns ATV seat cover, seat vinyl paint.

Cycra Bark Busters/hand guards.

O-ring chain and new steel 15/50 sprockets.

D2 Moto over sized foot pegs.

Mirror extender mounts.

Higher wattage headlight bulb.

Extended front fender mudguard and swing arm mounted mud deflector.

Fuel tank cut, de-rustifed, and expanded outward for .75+ gallon additional capacity.

Gas cap spring modified for easier opening.

Head light rallye grille protector.

Wind deflector extension (Z1000 component.)

Specific mods for the Zombie Stomper theme:

Overall I felt the lovely Olive Drab paint would go well with zombie guts, and not show the gore spatter as bad. Some have questioned the wisdom of a low powered steed such as the TW went hunting the roving zombie hordes, yet it will still out run even the fastest of the undead while providing rock solid handling and good traction even in slimy entrails. Great fuel economy and solid starting with kick or electric is a plus as well.

The modified aluminum rack works well to hold the Machete scabbard and day bag for gathering the required ‘zombie pieces’ for verification of kills to collect the bounty, and it also holds a spare ammo box. The rack contains 2 ABS tool tubes for misc. sundries, as well as two HD aluminum cylinders for spare fuel and or/Gin. (Bouncing around the hills and abandoned city streets makes for a mean shaken Martini!) The rack will also hold a standard 5 gallon gas can for those really long sorties.

The side mounted rifle holder works well for both my AR-15 and a 12 GA pump shotgun; it just depends on whether the day calls for long range hunting or the up close and personal dispatching of the unmentionables. The more comfortable seat is great for those days when the zombies ‘just aren’t’ biting’, and a lot of scouting time is spent in the saddle. (Also refer to Martini shaker.)

I want to give credit and thanks to the folks who supported this project in invaluable ways;

Tim Pryor, Daniel Buchanan, Jerry Ford,(Bagger) Gavin “Greencheezeeta’ , and my wonderful wife, Mari.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I LIKE IT !!!!

Do you have a twinkie holder?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h81VGWQip4k&feature=related[/media]

·
Registered
13,917 Posts
Hey, that's a great job. Now you'll have to go get it dirty. You will get it dirty won't you? ha ha

·
Registered
112 Posts
that gun rack is just incredible, id love to have one to hold my shotgun, m-14 and 30.32. can we get some more shots of this?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Now you can start fabricating all of the parts that many of us will want.

I really like the skid plate attachment...bike looks great.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Boy some really neat stuff! That rack looks to be a great idea. Those two rear 'bottles' are also very interesting as well the engine guard. How about a little closer picture of those items and more information. Gerry

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Nice work. Funky color, though

Good work on that skid.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So much inspiration I owe to all those who went before on this forum to the TW zone, but many thanks to all. I have to run to a wedding so will be out of pocket until next week and can provide more pictures and answers.

Yeah, color is funky and the skid plate is less skiddish now...but I dont do that much hardcore riding. It will get dirty...and dropped, since my wife will be using it primarily now that I have had my fun.

I really want to see if I can score a "Ride On Role" in the new season of "The Waking Dead"...lol.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Man, that bike is AWESOME! I love what you did with the gas tank. The bike looks like it came that way. I really enjoyed your write-up. Kept my attention very well. Hope to see some shots of it in action.

Dan

·
Registered
100 Posts
Very nice I like it

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I like how you did your turn signals on your handguards

1 - 20 of 44 Posts