TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is not the right spot but;
I'm going to take a look at a used TW tomorrow, its a 92. The add doesnt mention miles. Are there any TW specific weaknesses (I know there is a better word but after a brew or two the mental dictionary fails) I should be looking for? Weeping fluid from a sneaky spot, odd gear shifts that I might miss, vibrations or noises...that kind of thing. My only other bike was a beater Suzuki 600 that I learned on that wouldn't hold 2nd gear. I didnt really care cus it was so cheap. But I have BIG plans for my Dub, wherever I find it.
Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bent handlebars and levers.
Missing tool kit.
Broken housing for Speedo and indicator lights.
Fractured turn signal stalks
Bent / warped brake disks
Working brake light (validates switch)
Working neutral light (validates switch)
Working speedo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Look around the base of the cylinder and if you see an oil leak hammer the seller on the price. Ditto the valve covers. All the older bikes either leak or will leak but the fix isn't to bad.

Look at the chain -- if rusty and stiff the price goes down. Remember a new chain also means new sprockets -- not always but tell the seller to do it right means new sprockets.

If it runs well is what really matters. Everything else can be easily fixed.

Hopefully the seller isn't a member of this forum.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A Tdub basically has one moving part. If it fires, runs, and stops fine, you are pretty much good to go on everything major! :) Most signs of neglect will be obvious. Look in the oil level sight glass to check color of oil, look around the base of the cylinder to see if the base gasket is leaking (most common issue), make sure the clutch return spring is in the correct location, check for kinks in the chain (though you'd want to replace it ASAP anyways, the factory chain is not of high quality), and just make sure the bike looks straight. Being a single-cylinder, air cooled engine, it doesn't get more simple. If you have ridden a known healthy TW, you can really judge by the seat of your pants. On a 92, outside of maintenance, just make sure all switches still work and make sure it has healthy, linear torque throughout the RPM range. I'd bet the carb could use a good cleaning regardless though. Just curious, what's the mileage and price on the bike?? Can't wait for you to join the club! :)

Kyle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for all your info. I'll let you guys know how she goes tomorrow.
The mileage wasnt listed in the ad, and the price is $1300

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I paid $1500 for my '91 but it had 675 miles and was in pristine condition with zero rust and zero abuse. It suffers more from lack of use with nasty old fuel in the tank and carb.
Abuse and neglect is easy to see as are hard miles.
If you do buy it then come back and start reading. I would not put any miles on any new to me bike without a total going through no matter what the previous owner tells you. Oil change, carb cleaning, valve and timing chain adjust, check all cables and breaks, check all lights and electrics, new plug, air filter and ad a fuel filter after you dump the tank and add fresh fuel. Check chain and sprockets and adjust.

GaryL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks for all your help guys. i didnt make an offer to the guy. it felt ok to ride, but the tranny didnt engage until the cluth was almost all of the way let go, and the bike was cosmetically not pretty. it started right p and came with a few extra parts but just seemed a bit too rough. again thanks for all your help, it will come in handy in the future.
KC

edit: 10k miles, sorry

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
It is a very common occurrence that people decide to sell right around the time things are in need of some repairs. Rough looking is a good indicator of hard riding or abuse and maybe even some neglect in the maintenance department. Replacing the clutch is no big deal and most other things on a T dub are pretty straight forward if you have some wrenching under your belt.
Price is the key when you are looking at used bikes! You didn't say what the miles on the bike were or if you could even be reasonably sure they are accurate. Walking away from a questionable purchase is a good idea and gives you some more time to save a few more nickels for when you find a nice T dub. You might want to mention where you are so others can tip you when they know of other bikes in you general area. We have all seen some nice dubs at fair prices and some real rats with ridiculous price tags.

The funny thing about TWs is the year model is not as important where price is concerned as the condition. An older unit in pristine condition with low miles could be as valuable as a fairly new but well used bike. They just don't change all that much year to year so a 1990 could be just as good a deal as a 2005 at the same price. Keep in mind the newer ones come with no kick start so that could be a deal breaker for some guys. Most of the other changes over the years are minor in my opinion.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
Treeplanter, Fill out your profile so we know where you live. There may be some members close by that can keep an eye out and help. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
but the tranny didnt engage until the cluth was almost all of the way let go,
This is very common and just the way TW clutch engagement is/feels. Should you have a chance to test ride other TW's, you'll see, so don't let this be a show stopper while shopping around for a TW.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Treeplanter, Fill out your profile so we know where you live. There may be some members close by that can keep an eye out and help. Good luck on your search.
I was in the middle of a cross country move when I stopped to look at this bike:
1992 TW 200
I am living in Vancouver, BC from now on. Not sure if any of you gents are out this way, but I could be talked into having a pint just about anytime. But yea if there is anyone who has a lead let me know. Thanks again for all your help
PS On my way from Montana to BC today, saw a rider who was hitchhiking...pulled over and it turned ot he had run out of fuel. Just happened I had a 2 gal. jug and got him to the next exit. So maybe that means some good karma will be heading my way. Or it will just erase some of the BS I've done since my last random act of kindness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts