TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Administrator
7,018 Posts
Interesting - though I lost some interest when the site asked me if I wanted to shop in dollars or pounds -I though I was there to look at a video

Everyone's after something these days ......

· Registered
402 Posts
I expected to see some young fit expert/pro riders! These guys are older and not all that fit! Pretty impressive!

Several years ago, I made some noise about possibly riding 5moh at one of the early Moab get togethers. I offered to guide a group ride there as I had ridden it a couple years earlier on a Montesa 315. I thought it would be a fun, but difficult challenge on the TWs. It would require a team effort for sure, but well worth the effort IMO. I posted on this forum prior to the event and there was no real interest in attempting it so I let it go...
So now....

We are planning a Moab trip for late Oct. early Nov. We have 4 riders who are going to Moab for the first time...All on KTMs. They have been watching Youtube videos and are wanting to ride 5moh. I have agreed to take them on the trail. If my buddy Glen makes it to Moab we are planning riding the TWs on it. If anyone here is going to be in Moab when we go, you are welcome to join us and you can expect full support on the ride and vice versa....If no TWs show up I will probably ride my KTM 300. Or perhaps a 4rt if a couple of trials riders also decide to join us in Moab.

· Registered
2023 TW 200, 2019 YZ250, 1996 DR650, 2 Ozarks, Trailblazer 250, TrailBoss330
42 Posts
Pretty sure you can do just about anything on a TW. Skill level, tenacity, and preparation are the biggest part of it. I've been wanting to do some rugged trails at Windrock in Tennessee, the ones on youtube where the SxS guys are winching and pulling each other. After watching some of those vids, my regular riding crew thinks I'm crazy...

· Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well boys,
OP here. All of you that have done it and are willing to do it, on a T-dub or any motorcycle have bigger wavos than I.
As stated, we did the Easter Jeep Safari for 14 years in a row several years ago. We did Pritchet Canyon, Lower and upper Helldorado, Metal Masher and a whole host of pretty tough trails. There are some trails in Moab I would love to T-dub on. But that 5MOH AIN'T one of them. Based on what I see in that video, and the total strain it would be to ride ANY motorcycle on it, especially at 70 years old, nope, ain't happening.

In watching that video, even if I were to attempt it, the very first thing I'd do to the bike would be to seriously re-gear it. That is, especially on those monster adventure bikes, I'd have put a much larger sprocket on the rear and maybe a tooth or two smaller on the front. Waaaaaaaaaaay easier on clutch work while negotiating that or any trail with the same level of difficulty.

It would be interesting to watch a video of a T-dub on that trail. The Dub's normally got a whole lot less ground clearance than something like those adventure bikes so, I suspect the bash plate on a Tub would not be a pretty sight even 1/2 way through that trail.
Scott

· Premium Member
5,002 Posts

· Registered
23,849 Posts
While tempted years past when IBXR proposed this ride I've since learned of me and my bike's limitations; and it falls somewhere short of "The Crux". Likely around the 7 minute mark where I 'ld probably shear off a footpeg.:cool:
Thanks, but no thanks.

As far as winch or line recovery systems most of the instances I recall of troublesome spots lack anyplace to belay against. For example the smooth rock of Moab, or sandy treeless terrains. Simple places like here, if I were to low side over the edge it would take hundreds of feet of line to reach a big enough boulder, or shovel to prepare a buried ground anchor.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Travel Automotive mirror

The demonstration videos all seem to be staged where there is are convenient anchoring points that I rarely find in the real world places I have difficulties in. A shovel/pick/saw often would be a better choice to pack.

· Registered
2,113 Posts
Compared to those larger bikes....some areas the lower ground clearance would hinder the TW, but others would not due to the TW's shorter wheelbase.

But, could a TW do it? Heck yeah. Just takes an experienced enough rider. And, like Fire Up noted...a lower gearing change would make it easier.

Make it 5MOH, and sign me up! Minutes....not miles. 😁

· Registered
1999 TW-200
336 Posts
Many of you (and I) have been to Moab. We jeeped there for 14 years for the Easter Jeep Safari. And have been back only a time or two since. But, this is UGLY. Think any T-dubs could do this?

5 Miles of Hell on ADV Bikes? Part 1 of 2 – Camel ADV Products (camel-adv.com)
Nope, not even remotely interested is doing that kind of a trail on any bike. I know you are thinking, "he is getting soft in his old age"...true, but even 30 years ago, that is not something I would attempt or enjoy. I'm not knocking those that do, but I ride a lot solo, so that stuff is way out of my gunsights anyway. If it takes three or four riders to haul a fat pig off and over a slope I just do not find that fun.

Edit: I did not answer the Q....no, I don't think the Tdub has the torque to overcome those type of obstacles....maybe with a 115 lb rider?

· Registered
'20 TW with mods. '87 TW with XT eng in-work
378 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts