TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
2,114 Posts
So my question. Who's going to be the first to ride the 5MOH on a TW?
Can we vote someone? :)

If so, I'm going with @reddave. He's already riding gnarly Colorado Rockies on a TW with a tractor tire out back, and a sprocket the size of a flyin' saucer. And, if not already, a soon to be transplanted 225 motor.

It surely would be an out of this world accomplishment for him. :)

· Registered
2019 TW 200, 2004 XT225, 2005 XT225,2022 KLX140L
76 Posts
The bike yes, the rider 🙋🏽‍♀️ no.
Interweb search 5 Miles of Hell on $500 bikes... fun watch.
Rocky Mountain ATV &MC has a vid on their YouTube channel doing that.

· Registered
2019 TW 200, 2004 XT225, 2005 XT225,2022 KLX140L
76 Posts
That's a great piece of recovery gear. I'm going to get one.
I wonder if he would've gotten stuck if he had a big wheel mod & a Duro V2 tire
I have had the same rig for two years now and luckily never had to use it, all though I carry it with me all the time.

· Registered
2,008 Posts
Can we vote someone? :)

If so, I'm going with @reddave. He's already riding gnarly Colorado Rockies on a TW with a tractor tire out back, and a sprocket the size of a flyin' saucer. And, if not already, a soon to be transplanted 225 motor.

It surely would be an out of this world accomplishment for him. :)
Your vote counts, Jeff! Normally I brave these Trails of Insanity in order to get above the Treeline. Honestly, that video has me somewhat intimidated. With that said, I'd always be willing to give it a go and not be afraid to turn around after almost immediately realizing that I (hopefully we) had made a terrible, terrible mistake before heading back with no shame! I have completed the engine swap, and the bike is now as all TWs should be from the factory. It's actually the first six-speed anything that I've ever owned!

· Registered
2003 TW;2018 KLX250 camo ; former owner of 2006 TW (retired at 23k); 19' S3, 09' F-250, 97' Cherokee
558 Posts
Oh boy, that looks fun! I've tackled obstacles similar to some in this video, just not with that level of exposure (hundred plus ft. drops). Perhaps I may have been interested in this when I bought my first TW, back in 2008...now, a little older and a newly minted father - not a chance!

I still dream of riding the Rubicon a third time though...I'm just too far away now. The Rubicon trail is an absolute walk in the park in comparison to this trail.

PS - I believe the TW (properly equipped) is the perfect two-wheeled vehicle for this type of terrain. Low center of gravity, easy to manipulate, bigger tires with more contact, and a nice turning radius - not too mention the smooth, predictable lower-end power.

· Registered
23,854 Posts
Isn't there a plaque out there commemorating a fellow's love of his CT-90 ( or 70, or 100cc)?
Forced to abandon it and walk out he then chartered a helicopter to sling load it out to more friendly terrain.

Personally I think the TW is too heavy , too low and lacks ability to loft the front wheel, much less wheelie as part of a favorable technique to complete the 5MOH without excessive risk of injury or damage to the bike. Sure, it has and can be done on a TW but helicopter hourly fees have gone up since the Honda's flight out.

· Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Nope, not even remotely interested is doing that kind of a trail on any bike. I know you are thinking, "he is getting soft in his old age"...true, but even 30 years ago, that is not something I would attempt or enjoy. I'm not knocking those that do, but I ride a lot solo, so that stuff is way out of my gunsights anyway. If it takes three or four riders to haul a fat pig off and over a slope I just do not find that fun.

Edit: I did not answer the Q....no, I don't think the Tdub has the torque to overcome those type of obstacles....maybe with a 115 lb rider?
Motor7,
You're not getting "soft". This is a matter of common sense for many of us. We ride to satisfy our personal needs and enjoyment. THAT kind of riding, ON ANY BIKE, does not satisy ANY of my personal needs or potential enjoyment. At the end of the day, or the end of a ride, I want to walk away from it, not be air lifted to the nearest E.R! If people like that and want to ride it, by all means, enjoy. As stated earlier, we've Jeeped a very, very large percentage of Moab. Been on plenty of the tougher trails. When I was young and Challenge was the name of the game back then, it was a sort of sense of accomplishment to make it through a trail and still be under my own power, especially a tough trail.

But today, at 70 years old, graded dirt roads, forest service roads and very mild trails are the name of my game now, Jeep or TW.
Scott

· Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Have you guys seen this?

That video is exactly why I got out of wheelin' when I moved from SoCal and desert running. What that video was can, in no way, be called fun.
The wife calling her husband honey over and over in place of you-stupid-sonofabitch was priceless. Ha!

· Registered
2,008 Posts
Just another perfect example of why two wheels are greater than four! Black Bear pass is a six-hour drive for me from central CO. I guess, fortunately, videos like that are what always convince me NOT to make the trip. Far too much traffic!

· Registered
2,114 Posts
Just another perfect example of why two wheels are greater than four! Black Bear pass is a six-hour drive for me from central CO. I guess, fortunately, videos like that are what always convince me NOT to make the trip. Far too much traffic!
Was just coming to ask how far you were, and would you do it.

I'd like to try on the TW, but I'd want to start just before dawn and reach the more dangerous trail sections few minutes after sun has risen, and WELL ahead of anyone in 4wheels coming behind. And, hopefully by the time they reach those more dangerous switchback sections I'd be to the bottom, and outta the way!

Although a vehicle falling would be bad, I'd be more worried about rocks, even decent sized pebbles, coming down from those above getting too close to edge, and forcing those rocks, etc. to fall, but would hope getting well ahead I'd being outta harms way by that time. Of course rocks can fall on their own.

Definitely quicker on 2 wheels, so I'd think that scenario of getting ahead of everyone would work? :unsure:

If I ever got the chance, I'd definitely seek the advice of motorcyclists that's done it before.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts