TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 96 TW 200 for cheap as the shop could not get it to give any spark. And the owner didn't want to put any more money in it. They replaced the CDI and pick up coil (pinched the wires on the pickup coil under the side cover) . I have temporally put the old pick up coil back on and I don't get any spark that I can see, but by removing the spark plug boot and trimming the insulation back I can feel a faint spark and can just barley see one when holding the wire to the head. I suspect I have a week coil. My question is are the $11.00 ones on e-bay any good? Or should I go with a OEM from Yamaha?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bypassing the kickstand switch was the first thing I did. They do give problems. Haven't got to deep into the handlebar switch yet but seems to be working OK. I will probably bypass it also. Figured since I was getting a little spark it was OK for now. Just really wondering about those E-bay coils and if I should take a chance on one.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Download a copy of the TW200 manual, it shows how to test all the ignition components. Here is a post that has the links. Post

·
Registered
139 Posts
Are you getting battery drain- down, as in a short, and if so, always or only key-on? This is a really basic place to start. You do need a Volt- Ohm meter, but 4-12$ is better than most any trip to a dealer. For example, the coil testing specs are in the manual. -Dell

1 - 6 of 6 Posts