TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went out for a romp this morning and put a big ol' dent in the bottom of the frame. Its got a bunch of dents down there already, but this one is sizable. Not all that worried about it, but it would have taken out an engine case no problem. Im aware of some of the choices, but any thoughts on this issue? looks like the TCI has some nice side protection as well. I usually have a problem with shale type rocks flipping up under me and smacking the crap outta the bottom. I fear eventually one of those is gonna leave me stranded.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The TCI is unparalleled in the degree of protection it offers, but also unparalleled in price and troublesome fitment issues.

I'm always glad that I have it when I'm out in the rocky stuff, but plenty of T-dubbers seem to be getting by just fine with one of the much less expensive and easier to install/remove models. If I was farkling another TW, I don't think that I would go with the TCI again.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
The TCI is unparalleled in the degree of protection it offers, but also unparalleled in price and troublesome fitment issues.

I'm always glad that I have it when I'm out in the rocky stuff, but plenty of T-dubbers seem to be getting by just fine with one of the much less expensive and easier to install/remove models. If I was farkling another TW, I don't think that I would go with the TCI again.

Remember GaryL"s cutting board one that he made too. I thought that was pretty slick. I can see the benefits, seems like that stuff would slide off a log like butter.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'd second the plastic cutting board skid plate. Many advantages :slide over stuff easy, cost effective, frame protection potential, low deformation factor.
There's a thread somewhere here on it. That type of plastic is easy to work with but tough.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I know I need a better skid plate.
I thought the bike came with a skid plate, though very thin and with not a lot of coverage.
image.jpg
On my last ride there were a plethora of big rocks as the road has eroded away and a few boulders that I came down hard on and slid across.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting ideas. Ill see what I can come up with for the cutting board. I do like the vast side protection of the tci plate. We seem to have alot of these flat longish rocks around here to flip up. They javelin into various spots under the bike which is what scares me. The one I hit this morning was long enough that when it tumbled and impacted I damn near went over the bars! thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VanillaGorilla, I think the statement should have been....."I needed a skid plate". :p
eh the dent I can live with as a battle scar. No oil not so much. sometimes I almost feel guilty for what this poor bike takes

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
When riding with the fellows at Capitol forest last Saturday we went on some trails that were littered with engine killers. I was on my stock bike and wished I had the one with the heavy skid plate. I took it much easier to avoid a catastrophy. Was more worried about catching one on the side more than the bottom. Everytime I get to go out with one of my TW's it just continues to amaze me of it's ability to lug down to nothing and continue on. Being able to crawl through a bad area or up a steep hill as you pick your line is great.

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Both mine have aftermarket skid plates but Ill keep that in mind for the future. I assume youve done this and arent actually trying to get someone to blow up their oven? Or get them in trouble with their ol ladies? :)

And are you sure its lower the temp to 300 degrees? I thought for sure it would be 314.15 degrees. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts