TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
That's the beauty of Old-Timer's Syndrome.

Every day is like Christmas - something new and exciting to you. That you've completely forgotten.

...Barn find in your own barn?...CLASSIC...

Hope you get it un-jammed and rolling again. I learned to ride on a Yamaha R5C...a 350. I'd give a lot to have that one back...

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and wait another year or so?
Spend some time but not much money unless you are in love with idea of resurrecting it.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Yes..!

cant remember the exact year...late 60's 180 cc two stroke twin....

Appears to be locked up....

Barn find....in my barn...

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Check out those fork springs! Don't make 'em like they used to...maybe there is a reason why.:)
Every time I look at the old bikes in my barn and think Resurrection Day I end up saying "Naw" and just go ride the TW instead.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check out those fork springs! Don't make 'em like they used to...maybe there is a reason why.:)
Every time I look at the old bikes in my barn and think Resurrection Day I end up saying "Naw" and just go ride the TW instead.
I am not a "meck -a-nick "....that's why it is there.. I was thinking it was froze up...it's the twin carbs that are...way scary.... I could use one of the knowledgeable ladies or gentlemen around here to show me a valve adjustment on the 2 TW's I already ride...time and knowledge....

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Smitty can not have any more motorcycles, period. :p :D

·
Registered
762 Posts
There were a lot of issues back in the day. I remember my R5C had leaks...the price on a rebuild was prohibitive. But, there was suspension travel; and I don't remember too much fork flexing or distortion. Then again, I didn't know enough to know. Nor was I giving it a workout - it was up and down side-streets, trying to learn...and then out on the highway by an abandoned plant...where I forgot how to lean into turns and wound up going cross-country.

Aside from insane performance characteristic of two-strokes, it was the ideal bike to learn on. And it cost me $200 1985 dollars. At the time, with issues all over, I felt ripped off. Today, not so much.

Much later, like about seven years ago, I had a Honda GL500 - the old Silver Wing, a CX derivative. AIR-assisted forks. No kidding....they're still playing around, or were in 1983 when it was new.

Today, I look at these telescoping forks without rubber boots, and cringe. But the shop guys just poo-poo my concerns...

Progress.

What's in your barn? We may want to do a Bike Rescue expedition.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts